Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emmerdale [News, Spoilers and Discussion - from Oct 2016]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I love Charity and Vanessa. The stolen proposal was so ridiculous but they played it so well and then the proper proposal was really sweet. I think they're the best couple I've ever seen on a soap, if I'm honest. They've taken such care with them and after watching Charity for years, go from one horrible relationship to another, it's brilliant to see her find happiness like this.

The Jacob/Maya stuff is horrible and I struggle to watch it but I think that's a mark of how well it's being done. Like all these scenes of Jacob with his shirt off really drive home how young he is. It's beyond disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

I love Charity and Vanessa. The stolen proposal was so ridiculous but they played it so well and then the proper proposal was really sweet. I think they're the best couple I've ever seen on a soap, if I'm honest. They've taken such care with them and after watching Charity for years, go from one horrible relationship to another, it's brilliant to see her find happiness like this.

The Jacob/Maya stuff is horrible and I struggle to watch it but I think that's a mark of how well it's being done. Like all these scenes of Jacob with his shirt off really drive home how young he is. It's beyond disturbing.

Have to agree with you here!
    Its so horrible to watch i cringe and get uncomfortable every time they are alone together.
    Wonder what Maya will do, Jacob has really thrown it all back on her now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

I think they are doing the storyline very well and nice to see a gender reversal from the usual. Jacob is doing a great job with the part. What is the story with the Big House (Home Farm)? It's always chocca with people who can't act but can, oh very much can, OVERACT. Graham is ridiculous - you'd swear he was playing Macbeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Big Vern wrote: »
    Have to agree with you here!
    Its so horrible to watch i cringe and get uncomfortable every time they are alone together.
    Wonder what Maya will do, Jacob has really thrown it all back on her now.

What’s sad is that I’ve heard grown men say ‘oh I bet he (Jacob) doesn’t mind’ when myself and others were talking about how uncomfortable but important this storyline is. As if because, she’s blonde and good looking it’s ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    What’s sad is that I’ve heard grown men say ‘oh I bet he (Jacob) doesn’t mind’ when myself and others were talking about how uncomfortable but important this storyline is. As if because, she’s blonde and good looking it’s ok.

Even as a man i find it uncomfortable! I couldn't have imagined that happening me when i was in school! The effect it would have on someone that age would be huge.

Although its an uncomfortable watch, its been well done and well played out.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing that'll be the reaction of a few people when it comes out. I see comments from people on Twitter all the time and it's clear they still don't get what's actually happening. They think it's every teen boy's dream come true. Some of them even seem to think it's a love story and are giving out to Emmerdale saying it's wrong of them to be doing it. Like they think they're the only ones who think it's wrong and can't see that's exactly what the storyline is.

I'm guessing that'll be the reaction of a few people when it comes out. I see comments from people on Twitter all the time and it's clear they still don't get what's actually happening. They think it's every teen boy's dream come true. Some of them even seem to think it's a love story and are giving out to Emmerdale saying it's wrong of them to be doing it. Like they think they're the only ones who think it's wrong and can't see that's exactly what the storyline is.

If you were to flip it and it was a male teacher in his 30s/40s going out with the mother of one of his female students , then starts grooming female 14/15 yr old student, there would be uproar. Double standards. So hard to watch, both are playing it brilliantly.

If you were to flip it and it was a male teacher in his 30s/40s going out with the mother of one of his female students , then starts grooming female 14/15 yr old student, there would be uproar. Double standards. So hard to watch, both are playing it brilliantly.

I don't know that it's double standards. If it was flipped you'd still get a lot of men thinking the teacher was brilliant, I mean the whole school girl thing is a fetish for a lot of people. And you'd probably get a lot of people saying the girl was a slut anyway, knew what she was doing etc. etc.

I think there's a lot of people watching this who genuinely haven't figured out what's going on. And that's probably partly because it's maybe the first time it's been done with a woman as the abuser? We don't think of women being capable of such things so it's taking a lot of people a long time to realise what it is they're seeing. And I think that will play into the story when it all comes out. Jacob doesn't even realise what's happening to him. If it came out tomorrow and Maya was arrested or whatever he'd probably be the first one defending her.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,552 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My take on it is when a guy is around 16 they could go down the route of the love story or just a guy getting laid. I've known somebody who did it and the guy would have no regrets.
    However Emmeedale aren't doing this story and May is taking advantage.

My take on it is when a guy is around 16 they could go down the route of the love story or just a guy getting laid. I've known somebody who did it and the guy would have no regrets.
    However Emmeedale aren't doing this story and May is taking advantage.

Well they had Vanessa sleeping with a 17 year old a few years ago. Personally I still found it kind of gross but there were so many differences in that relationship that you can't compare. He lied about his age when they first got together, he really didn't look 17, he persued her of his own free will, she never manipulated the situation or him, and so on and so forth. The fact that Maya is Jacob's teacher is in itself a big no, regardless of his age or how it plays out, but whatever it may have seemed at the start it is very obviously an abuse story now and the fact that some people still don't see it speaks volumes.

• Advertisement

Well they had Vanessa sleeping with a 17 year old a few years ago. Personally I still found it kind of gross but there were so many differences in that relationship that you can't compare. He lied about his age when they first got together, he really didn't look 17, he persued her of his own free will, she never manipulated the situation or him, and so on and so forth. The fact that Maya is Jacob's teacher is in itself a big no, regardless of his age or how it plays out, but whatever it may have seemed at the start it is very obviously an abuse story now and the fact that some people still don't see it speaks volumes.

You do know I am agreeing with you.
    What age was the fella Vanessa was with?

You do know I am agreeing with you.
    What age was the fella Vanessa was with?

Yes. And I am agreeing with you. My point about the Vanessa story was sort of backing up your point about your friend. I still found Vanessa/Kirin kind of icky but it was all between two consenting adults, legally, and Vanessa wasn't in a position of authority or have a duty of care to Kirin.

Kirin was 17 when they first hooked up. They met in a club and he said has 23 or something. She didn't know what age he really was until he showed up in the village and she realised he was Rakesh's son. He turned 18 not that long after. As I said, I still found it a bit gross, and there was a scene where they had him in his school uniform after sleeping with Vanessa, but he just looked like a man dressing up. Which is why I think all the Jacob topless stuff is in there at the moment, that is very clearly a child's body, there is no misunderstanding there for Maya. She knows exactly what she's doing.

Can somebody get Jacob a haircut please!

Can somebody get Jacob a haircut please!

Only If Gail from Corrie joins him

• Registered Users Posts: 86,486 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Does Charity ever remember Noah?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Does Charity ever remember Noah?

It's getting to be a really repetitive and boring thing they wheel out whenever they want a bit of grumpy teen drama. I mean she had Moses there before he went to nursery, was desperately trying to get hold of Debbie, and then somehow forgot about the one kid who actually lives with her full-time? I don't mind the recurring theme that Charity isn't the best mother but they could at least try and make it believable. It's as bad as the time she remembered she was supposed to meet Vanessa and Johnny to go to a play centre but completely forgot she was supposed to be bringing Moses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

That maya and Jacob storyline last night made me feel sick, totally manipulative and abusive

Did anybody here see the recent abuse storyline in Hollyoaks?

Did anybody here see the recent abuse storyline in Hollyoaks?

Yes it was very well done and didn't show too much but more implied and it did not drag on

What age is Jakey?

If there is a trial for Maya which I do hope there is, Alicia and Justin need to return or at least be mentioned

Yes it was very well done and didn't show too much but more implied and it did not drag on

What age is Jakey?

If there is a trial for Maya which I do hope there is, Alicia and Justin need to return or at least be mentioned

Jake is 15, I think.

• Advertisement

Jacob is 15 and will be 16 in March!
    The actor is 16 and will br 17 in April.

The Hollyoaks abuse story was done very well but they basically copied Barry Benell story.

Hollyoaks is so ridiculous and over the top but they always manage to pull off some very sensitive stories and it's even more impressive given the restrictions their time slot would impose on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Graham trying his best to be drafted as a Bond villain. Why is he always in a suit? Just like Aaron is always in black.
    Also, has anyone ever seen Debbie smile or laugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6611419/Emmerdale-star-Adam-Thomas-hints-RETURN-soap.html

Looks like someone has come crawling back with their tail between their legs....

Pretty sure he slated the show when he was leaving.

fin12 wrote: »
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6611419/Emmerdale-star-Adam-Thomas-hints-RETURN-soap.html

Looks like someone has come crawling back with their tail between their legs....

The left it open for Adam to return, I think he left on good terms and is still friendly with many of the cast

They all leave with so many plans!

The left it open for Adam to return, I think he left on good terms and is still friendly with many of the cast

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5220191/Emmerdales-Adam-Thomas-slams-soap.html

This is what he said on leaving.

And then come crawling back when they realize they actually aren’t as good an actor as they think they are.

And then come crawling back when they realize they actually aren’t as good an actor as they think they are.

The actress hat plays Carla also in Corrie thought the same and returned the same goes for the actor that plays Nick

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with having plans and ambition, nothing ventured, nothing gained, and all that. Just don’t burn your bridges behind you as you go.

Advertisement