Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emmerdale [News, Spoilers and Discussion - from Oct 2016]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Didn’t see that coming!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Very good episode

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

How can Lisa and Zak afford this place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Haven't caught Emmerdale in a while, glad I caught tonight's episode. Delighted for Chas :)

Tonight's episode is groundbreaking and to mark International Women's Day it is all-female. Not only cast but behind the camera. Director, cameras, lighting the whole SHEbang.

Affirmative action....we-hey!!! :rolleyes: The slippery slope. If writers are more interested in politicising an agenda rather than actual writing a good story then it wont be long before the ratings suffer. Yesterday it was a hatchet job on Belfast and today its a feminist agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Pamela Landy

Wouldn't have called it a particular agenda just a celebration of womanhood. Like for example oh I don't know, say the one that gave birth to you for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

The whole episode looked like it was written and recorded on a whim,absolutely no need for it,PS: it was good to see Lisa again

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wouldn't have called it a particular agenda just a celebration of womanhood. Like for example oh I don't know, say the one that gave birth to you for example.
    Erm so a box-ticking excercise so.

Why celebrate it on a mainstream program??? There is enough about International womens day already in the news etc, without a whole episode of a program wrote around it. Fair enough mentioning things in passing or a brief tribute but a full episode??? :confused:

What next? I suppose a Brexit special coming up on March 29th? Perhaps a full episode of transgender actors or LGBT actors?

God be with the days when writers used to write actual storylines.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Pamela Landy

Okay I give in. 22 minutes out of a year was a bit excessive.

Good news is Chas is pregnant. Now they just need to get her to spend the next 9 months barefoot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Where are zac and Lisa supposed to have gone anyway ....and why ?

Loved tonight’s episode so sad that Lisa is dying :( I’m guessing she’ll die when Chaz gives birth and they’ll call the baby girl Lisa.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Where are zac and Lisa supposed to have gone anyway ....and why ?

Lisa left last year after the stuff where her drink was spiked and she ratted Liv out to the police and the family turned on her. She was having heart problems and the stress was making her worse so she left and they later said she was working at a youth hostel or something in Scotland. Then she was supposedly off on some road trip around Europe with new friends, think that was used to explain her absence when the Lachlan stuff happened.
    The actor who plays Zack had a heart attack or something last year and had to take time off so they just wrote him disappearing off to spend time with Lisa. He's supposedly back filming now or due back.
    Not sure why the actress who plays Lisa actually left last year and why she's decided to go for good but this secret illness actually makes her and Zack's long absence plausible as far as the story goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Thanks for that elmo. ....having flashbacks as I read that . You've a great memory.

Thanks for that elmo. ....having flashbacks as I read that . You've a great memory.

I only remember all that because it was all so odd and unbelievable that Lisa wouldn't have come back for Belle when Lachlan tried to kill her, or for Chas when Grace was born, or when Sarah had her transplant, or even for Charity when she had her trial. And they just kept giving these random throw away excuses for her being away.
    I think Zack actually disappeared mid episode. Remember the masquerade ball week when Kim Tate came back. Pretty sure Zack was in one of those episodes and then they had Sam say he was going to see where Zack disappeared to and I think that was it!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

OMG poor Lisa, Jane Cox will be a big loss to the show, was it her decision to leave?

Who will be the next Dingle family matriarch, Lydia, Faith or Moira?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    OMG poor Lisa, Jane Cox will be a big loss to the show, was it her decision to leave?

Who will be the next Dingle family matritach, Lydia, Faith or Moira?

Eh, Charity, how dare you!

Eh, Charity, how dare you!

I feel her, Chas and Debbie need a mother figure

Who will be the next Dingle family matriarch, Lydia, Faith or Moira?

Her decision to leave she must be pushing 60? Maybe she wants to retire

:( I’ll miss Lisa

I think they've been slowly having Charity step into the role of matriarch already. They all had drama going on last year but Charity was the only one thinking of the rest of them and putting Chas and Debbie before herself. She was there for Sarah during and after her operation. She's been trying to keep the situation between Cain and Debbie as calm as possible, supporting Debbie fully in whatever she wants to do while still trying to keep her from doing something she'll regret. It's quite remarkable to watch really, given how bad Charity's always been at helping people, even when she means well. I think she hasn't actually been thinking about what she's doing lately, which seems to work best for her, she's trusting her instincts and less worried about people seeing kindness as a weakness or a way to take advantage. She was the same with Vanessa after she was stabbed, was brilliant at taking care of her at home because she was just working on instinct, meanwhile she nearly sabotaged her whole relationship when trying to propose because she did the opposite and over thought it.
    Anyways, that's just a really long way of saying I think the writers have really invested long term in Charity's growth this past year and to have her seen as an integral part of the Dingle clan, as opposed to the black sheep she used to be, would be like the pinnacle of that.

All that said I think the Dingles could all do with taking a step back and focussing on their own individual families because the dynamic they have with each other is pretty unhealthy and they do each other more harm than good half the time.

• Advertisement

I think they've been slowly having Charity step into the role of matriarch already. They all had drama going on last year but Charity was the only one thinking of the rest of them and putting Chas and Debbie before herself. She was there for Sarah during and after her operation. She's been trying to keep the situation between Cain and Debbie as calm as possible, supporting Debbie fully in whatever she wants to do while still trying to keep her from doing something she'll regret. It's quite remarkable to watch really, given how bad Charity's always been at helping people, even when she means well. I think she hasn't actually been thinking about what she's doing lately, which seems to work best for her, she's trusting her instincts and less worried about people seeing kindness as a weakness or a way to take advantage. She was the same with Vanessa after she was stabbed, was brilliant at taking care of her at home because she was just working on instinct, meanwhile she nearly sabotaged her whole relationship when trying to propose because she did the opposite and over thought it.
    Anyways, that's just a really long way of saying I think the writers have really invested long term in Charity's growth this past year and to have her seen as an integral part of the Dingle clan, as opposed to the black sheep she used to be, would be like the pinnacle of that.

All that said I think the Dingles could all do with taking a step back and focussing on their own individual families because the dynamic they have with each other is pretty unhealthy and they do each other more harm than good half the time.
    Your posts are very good and informative.

That's a very kind way of saying I spend way too much time thinking about Emmerdale. ;)

Yes we have seen growth in Charity plus Lisa picking her to confide in perhaps she too thinks she is capable of looking after the Dingle clan

Lisa has not met Ryan and Jessie yet?

Yes we have seen growth in Charity plus Lisa picking her to confide in perhaps she too thinks she is capable of looking after the Dingle clan

Lisa has not met Ryan and Jessie yet?

She hasn't met them, no.

I'm not sure how much we're supposed to assume Lisa knows about what's been going on in her absence. You'd assume she knows some but her knowing it all makes her seem kinda selfish for staying away so long. Then again that's probably why they've given her this ilness, to explain away her absence while her family were suffering so much.

I don't know why she called Charity (other than from a story telling point of view it makes sense, Cain and Chas have other plots going on) but I got the impression Lisa thought she was still talking to the hard as nails Charity that she was when Lisa left. I think she thought Charity would be the less emotional and more pragmatic about it all. Little does she know Charity is a big squishy marshmallow now with the people she loves. She's probably still the right person to tell, just not for the reasons Lisa thinks.
    The whole things a bit weird really. Like why tell anyone before they tell Belle? Or even tell Charity because they're planning on telling Belle in the next few days and want to make sure she has support, but it sounded like they weren't planning on telling Belle for a good while yet. It was all a bit of a strange way of in introducing that story, but we'll see where it goes

Zak knows so surely he would want to confide in someone to talk, like Cain or Paddy

That's a very kind way of saying I spend way too much time thinking about Emmerdale. ;)
    No. I find your posts brilliant. Take it as a compliment.

Zak knows so surely he would want to confide in someone to talk, like Cain or Paddy

They've said that Lisa and Zack will both be back in the village at some point soonish so we will see everyone finding out eventually.
    Maybe their hands were tied with the actor who plays Zack being sick. They couldn't have Lisa come back to the village without Zack so maybe that's why they had Charity go up to Scotland and the oddness of the whole "I want you to write my eulogy" thing. It would have made a lot more sense for Lisa to be back in the village and confide her ilness in Charity before telling everyone else. The way it played out may have been the best way they could work around Zack's absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

She hasn't met them, no.

I'm not sure how much we're supposed to assume Lisa knows about what's been going on in her absence. You'd assume she knows some but her knowing it all makes her seem kinda selfish for staying away so long. Then again that's probably why they've given her this ilness, to explain away her absence while her family were suffering so much.

I don't know why she called Charity (other than from a story telling point of view it makes sense, Cain and Chas have other plots going on) but I got the impression Lisa thought she was still talking to the hard as nails Charity that she was when Lisa left. I think she thought Charity would be the less emotional and more pragmatic about it all. Little does she know Charity is a big squishy marshmallow now with the people she loves. She's probably still the right person to tell, just not for the reasons Lisa thinks.

In fairness, I think Lisa has always had a soft spot for Charity over the years and would probably be closer to her than some of the others. She's definitely had admiration for her in the past. I remember Lisa always been the most protective of Charity and Sam (aside from Belle obviously), especially back in the day, and she wouldn't want to put this kind of burden on Sam, whereas she knows Charity would be able to handle it.

As someone who's been watching for 20 years, Charity felt like the most obvious choice to me for Lisa to confide in after Zak (if they hadn't been out of the village for so long, I could've even seen her confiding in Charity before being able to tell Zak).

Thought the whole episode yesterday was brilliantly done.

I hate that Lisa missed Charity and Bails trial as a rape victim Lisa would be a good shoulder for Charity

• Advertisement

In fairness, I think Lisa has always had a soft spot for Charity over the years and would probably be closer to her than some of the others. She's definitely had admiration for her in the past. I remember Lisa always been the most protective of Charity and Sam (aside from Belle obviously), especially back in the day, and she wouldn't want to put this kind of burden on Sam, whereas she knows Charity would be able to handle it.

As someone who's been watching for 20 years, Charity felt like the most obvious choice to me for Lisa to confide in after Zak (if they hadn't been out of the village for so long, I could've even seen her confiding in Charity before being able to tell Zak).

Thought the whole episode yesterday was brilliantly done.

I agree it makes sense completely for Lisa to confide in Charity, both in terms of their historic relationship and simply because other ongoing plots are taking up Cain and Chas' time at the moment, so purely from the writers point of view Charity makes sense.
    It's just the way it was done that doesn't really make a lot of sense. But as I said it's possible it was the only way they could do it without having to bring Lisa back to the village without Zack. I could definitely see Charity being the one Lisa would have talked to if they were all just still living in the village as normal.

Advertisement