Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emmerdale [News, Spoilers and Discussion - from Oct 2016]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

So you are ok with rape, stabbing, inappropriate child/adult sexual relationships but you have a problem with the Matty story!

Children shouldn't be watching soaps anyway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

AryaStark wrote: »
    So you are ok with rape, stabbing, inappropriate child/adult sexual relationships but you have a problem with the Matty story!

Children shouldn't be watching soaps anyway!

The sex/murder storylines are the lifeblood of soaps. The issue is probably more with Moira.
    She sees her husband die. Her eldest daughter dies of a drug overdose under her care. Her youngest daughter leaves home and never comes back. They should probably explore the effect the trans thing has on parents.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The sex/murder storylines are the lifeblood of soaps. The issue is probably more with Moira.
    She sees her husband die. Her eldest daughter dies of a drug overdose under her care. Her youngest daughter leaves home and never comes back. They should probably explore the effect the trans thing has on parents.

"the trans thing"

Her daughter did come home, as Matty. And they delved into that several times. When Matty first came back and in the run up to the operation itself. As if that's what you're concerned about imaginary children watching. This storyline is the most in-depth portrayal of a trans character I've ever seen on a soap, and on TV in general. They've spent a year now exploring the various issues that arise, medical, personal, emotional, the discrimination and bullying, they've even delved into the idea of toxic masculinity and what it actually means to be a man.
    I agree with everyone else that children shouldn't be watching soaps but if they are then this storyline is probably the one thing on Emmerdale that I would have zero problem with them seeing or helping them understand.

"the trans thing"

Her daughter did come home, as Matty. And they delved into that several times. When Matty first came back and in the run up to the operation itself. As if that's what you're concerned about imaginary children watching. This storyline is the most in-depth portrayal of a trans character I've ever seen on a soap, and on TV in general. They've spent a year now exploring the various issues that arise, medical, personal, emotional, the discrimination and bullying, they've even delved into the idea of toxic masculinity and what it actually means to be a man.
    I agree with everyone else that children shouldn't be watching soaps but if they are then this storyline is probably the one thing on Emmerdale that I would have zero problem with them seeing or helping them understand.

Hannah, as we know her, doesn't exist anymore. Matty still has the same family and friends as before, but not vice versa. I understand they consulted with the trans lobby for the story development, so it's no surprise they've only shown one side of the debate.

Hannah, as we know her, doesn't exist anymore. Matty still has the same family and friends as before, but not vice versa. I understand they consulted with the trans lobby for the story development, so it's no surprise they've only shown one side of the debate.

"Trans lobby"? For f**k sake.

There is no debate. You're showing yourself up for what you are here, and if you have children, watching fictional characters on soaps is the least of their problems.

EDIT - I see you're the same person that has a problem with Aaron and Robert's surrogacy story. Says it all really.

• Advertisement

"Trans lobby"? For f**k sake.

There is no debate. You're showing yourself up for what you are here, and if you have children, watching fictional characters on soaps is the least of their problems.

"All About Trans" is the name of the lobby group, they push for more trans storylines on television.

No debate around transgenderism? Do you live in a cave?

"All About Trans" is the name of the lobby group, they push for more trans storylines on television.

No debate around transgenderism? Do you live in a cave?

I'm sure you do. Or is it under a bridge trolls live?

I'm sure you do. Or is it under a bridge trolls live?

Apologies for having an opinion. I like controversial topics in soaps to be handled responsibly. This one just seems to be rail roaded through.

Apologies for having an opinion. I like controversial topics in soaps to be handled responsibly. This one just seems to be rail roaded through.

I've seen your posting history. I know exactly what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,482 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

When did Aaron and Robert become on good terms with Billy and Ellis?

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    When did Aaron and Robert become on good terms with Billy and Ellis?

They're not on good terms with Billy but Ellis has been working for Aaron for months and lives in the other flat at the mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,548 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

EDIT - I see you're the same person that has a problem with Aaron and Robert's surrogacy story. Says it all really.

I have no issue with surrogacy/etc but I think Aaron and Robert are the worst couple they could use to promote an issue especially for people who'd they want to get on board with the idea!

I have no issue with surrogacy/etc but I think Aaron and Robert are the worst couple they could use to promote an issue especially for people who'd they want to get on board with the idea!

I agree, Aaron and Robert are the last people I'd let raise a child but the post the other poster made wasn't about their suitability as individual people.

They're not on good terms with Billy but Ellis has been working for Aaron for months and lives in the other flat at the mill.

I thought after Ellis realised Robert played him to get Billy arrested with his lies about Andy, none were friends, I also thought Ellis quit the scrap yard for personal training

I thought after Ellis realised Robert played him to get Billy arrested with his lies about Andy, none were friends, I also thought Ellis quit the scrap yard for personal training

He was talking about quitting, if it was a success, and Aaron said if he didn't go do some work he wouldn't have to worry about quitting.
    I'm not sure about Ellis and Robert, tbh, but I'm sure he's fine with Aaron.
    I'm not entirely sure what purpose Aaron and Robert served on that night out? There may be more in the flashbacks but they seem to have just been witnesses to Max having a go at Ellis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭timothe

. I'm not entirely sure what purpose Aaron and Robert served on that night out?

No more purpose than their appearances in any other episode.

timothe wrote: »

Well, usually they actually have their own story going on, even if it's boring and completely isolated from everyone else. They seem to have just been on this night out to keep Ellis company. Which doesn't bother me, but everyone else seemed to serve a purpose, or will have a purpose going forward. They seem to have just been two spare parts.

timothe wrote: »

I wish they had mixed more with others, Robert dancing with Bernice :p

I thought Aaron would be involved in the Maya reveal

Liv would really need to stop snopping around the place!

Liv would really need to stop snopping around the place!

She'll have half the village blackmailed at this point.

• Advertisement

That was a believable crash!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Pamela Landy

Should he not be on a spinal board with a neckbrace?

Was James in his car?

I love Liv's sense of morality!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

im knocking down pollard, woah
    im knocking down pollard, woah,and dont it feel good

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Pamela Landy

I thought James was going to get stopped by the police after the camera focused on the Scotch. Maybe he will yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Anyone else jump out of their skin with the way Pollard got sick lying on the hospital bed.

Was it Megan who caused the crash by texting?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Was it Megan who caused the crash by texting?

I thought so anyway Liz .

• Advertisement

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    I thought so anyway Liz .

I thought that to but I was as distracted as Megan was I was admiring how clean her car was!

Advertisement