Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emmerdale [News, Spoilers and Discussion - from Oct 2016]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

There are signs that the real Rhona is still there though. She tried to get out, she knew he was the one getting aggressive, she wasn't apologetic. She even copped that everyone was right about him. Maybe there's hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,535 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Controlling , abusive relationships are the hardest to break free from , this could play out for a long time to come :(
    Horrible to watch , but excellent acting , always knew I didn't like Pierce for a reason ..

I hope it don't play out for too long

If he moves them to the lakes no one can help her

• Registered Users Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I hope it don't play out for too long

If he moves them to the lakes no one can help her

It'll either go one of two ways , she gets away straight off the bat , or the abuse and control will continue over a long period of time until she builds up enough courage to finally escape , somehow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It'll either go one of two ways , she gets away straight off the bat , or the abuse and control will continue over a long period of time until she builds up enough courage to finally escape , somehow :(

She already forgave him and cant see it changing. She still married him for flip sake.

pjohnson wrote: »
    She already forgave him and cant see it changing. She still married him for flip sake.

That's my point, I said it in a previous post that I think it's going to play out for a long time .

• Advertisement

She kills him

I hope she gives Marlon full custody of Leo if she staying with Pierce, he may not hurt him but seeing his mam hurt not good

She kills him

I hope she gives Marlon full custody of Leo if she staying with Pierce, he may not hurt him but seeing his mam hurt not good

Good , I hope she does tbh !
    Both to killing him and hopefully letting Marlon have Leo .

Horrible for children to have to witness/hear any form of abuse.

Good , I hope she does tbh !
    Both to killing him and hopefully letting Marlon have Leo .

Horrible for children to have to witness/hear any form of abuse.

I am just speculating that Rhona kills Pierce

I am just speculating that Rhona kills Pierce

Sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

The scenes of Rhona at the police station & being examined felt so real. Love that they showed the reality of it. Sometimes hard to watch but brilliantly done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Proud of Rhona.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

pjohnson wrote: »
    I do get this is meant to be upsetting but she was repeatedly warned AND this isnt even the first time he raped her. Dunno why she married him.

If only it was that simple.

/

I thought tonight's episode was excellent. The actress who plays Rhona did a great job. I have a bad feeling that she won't go ahead with the police, the way she reacted to the possibility of Pierce being arrested seemed like she didn't want that to happen. I hope I'm wrong though.

erica74 wrote: »

/

I thought tonight's episode was excellent. The actress who plays Rhona did a great job. I have a bad feeling that she won't go ahead with the police, the way she reacted to the possibility of Pierce being arrested seemed like she didn't want that to happen. I hope I'm wrong though.

I would thank your post twice if I could !

Agree with everything you've said , it's never that easy and she will fear the repercussions from Pierce if he is arrested :(

I would thank your post twice if I could !

Agree with everything you've said , it's never that easy and she will fear the repercussions from Pierce if he is arrested :(

I just hope little Leo is off with Marlon/Paddy/anyone else and doesn't get into the middle of this - he is so cute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

ShazGV wrote: »
    The scenes of Rhona at the police station & being examined felt so real. Love that they showed the reality of it. Sometimes hard to watch but brilliantly done.

+1, and very well played by Zoe Henry. She can really carry a strong storyline.

I keep thinking that Rhona will decide not to go ahead with giving evidence, hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,086 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I thought it was a bit silly in that the police said '' aww we don't need to know the rapists name right now, let him free to rape more, lets all just have some tea and biscuits and sing Kumbaya''
    Is that really what happens, that police simply don't care who was responsible, that it's fine, you don't need to say.

I thought it was a bit silly in that the police said '' aww we don't need to know the rapists name right now, let him free to rape more, lets all just have some tea and biscuits and sing Kumbaya''
    Is that really what happens, that police simply don't care who was responsible, that it's fine, you don't need to say.

Perhaps its a strategy to gain the victims trust? Put them at ease? Just a guess on my part i honestly dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 36,086 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I must admit I was happy to see that cop approach Rhona outside police station, thought it was a nice touch. That little support to walk in those doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

She'll get her real life hubby to kick the sh*t out of him . PS Cain

I must admit I was happy to see that cop approach Rhona outside police station, thought it was a nice touch. That little support to walk in those doors.

Its about time the cops were promoted in a good light instead of these bumbling keystone cops they are always portrayed as. cops dont get everything right but they get quite alot right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

OFCOM got 62 complaints about the rape scene.
    As expected, Ofcom received complaints over the scenes and a spokesperson said: ‘We will assess these complaints before deciding whether or not to investigate.’

Emmerdale have worked closely with Rape Crisis and Women’s Aid throughout the preparation and execution of the difficult storyline and we recently explained why it remains important for serial dramas to portray difficult topics.

Link: Metro

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭buswankers

erica74 wrote: »

/

I'd thank this a million times if I could. I really get the feeling that she wont go ahead with the charges. Not yet anyway. She'll go back to him and carry on for a few weeks/months but most likely will have all the pics and rape kit etc so she will eventually bring charges against him.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭buswankers

As expected, Ofcom received complaints over the scenes and a spokesperson said: ‘We will assess these complaints before deciding whether or not to investigate.’

Emmerdale have worked closely with Rape Crisis and Women’s Aid throughout the preparation and execution of the difficult storyline and we recently explained why it remains important for serial dramas to portray difficult topics.

My Mam said Zoe Henry was on one of the talk shows yesterday morning and that she said that they never rehearse scenes prior to shooting but they rehearsed all of the rape scenes and aftermath to ensure that they portrayed everything correctly. I personally think she played a blinder.
    Of course they were going to get complaints showing such a trivial issue before the watershed but I also think it needed to be shown and that there was warnings before both episodes. I guess there are always going to be people out there who will take offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Between the Rhona storyline and the Ashley storyline Emmerdale is by far the best soap at the moment.

Cannot understand people complaining about the scenes over the last 2 nights.
    Turn the TV off if it offends you. Leave the room. Read a book
    Cannot comment on the 1st night but there was a warning before last nights episode.

Parents saying it wasnt for kids eyes (fair enough), but is it ok to watch soaps then they're in the pub morning noon and night?, When they are having affairs behing partners backs?, When they are robbing or murdering someone?.
    If you let your kids watch soaps then you have to be ready for things that are not appropriate . Record and watch when they are in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I expect this is all about trust building and making the victim feel comfortable and not pressured. Even the police officer saying that she would get her checked out and the evidence collected just to have it on file and she could decide to proceed or not later. I think it's all about building the relationship and supporting the victim. At the end of the day, Rhona is the victim - if they got all heavy handed questioning the victim, the victim will run and they're still none the wiser.

I can see this being a slow burner - as it is unfortunately in real life for a lot of people. I think she'll go back home to him and things will get a lot worse before they get better. Zoe Henry & Emmerdale are doing a great job on this (as they did with Ashley). And while we all hate Pierce, I think the actor is playing that part really well too.

I thought Rhona had called Vanessa :o

Paddy hugging Pierce wtf, that was weird

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I can never understand this kinda thing - I'd want to be seriously, off the scales, livid to report anything like that to a regulator, even then, I doubt I'd bother.

The scene was hard to watch even when you know it's not real. But thats what soaps are, part of what they do with their storylines is to bring real life issues to the masses. I think Rhona, Vanessa and Pierce are playing the roles well and, from what I know of situations such as this...they're working to depict real life. The victim who keeps forgiving, loves the abuser. The abuser who can turn the victim back around to loving them and who can make them think it's their fault...the friend, or one person who can see something just isn't right...and then everyone else who just sees a normal couple.

Very sensitive and well worked storyline, right down to the taxi driver giving her the free lift, all done so well IMO. Emmerdale is the only soap I watch, but they're playing an absolute blinder right now. Tried to watch corrie a couple of weeks ago and had to switch it off.
    Katie Oates was evidently not the reason Emmerdale had really started to improve a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I can never understand this kinda thing...

Me neither. There must be a lot of the Mary Whitehouse brigade left. Also it was implied violence,.. it wasn't that graphic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

At this early stage The woman is under extreme shock, stress, even feeling shame in her own mind perhaps, lacking logic, trust and self esteem, not to mention in fear.

She needs to build up a trust, not be interrogated and forced to release the name when she just walks in the door. She clearly has some intention to tell them, in fact it is a rare but refreshing event that someone will take matters into their hands so expediendly. At that point she needs to know the investigators are more worried about her, than simply catching the baddie.

Circa 95% of rape cases are perpetrators known to the victim so police/Gardai would be advised at all stages, but especially at this stage,to treat the matter tentatively and with utmost empathy, as trying to coerce the name without the full will of the victim could lead to the victim's trust and feeling of lack of empathy of the investigators at such a vulnerable time being diminished. Then she may not agree to be examined etc

At that stage, the issue should be more about the victim, rather than the crime but getting all evidence of the crime will be vital for the criminal charges.
    If the victim departs the station owing to pressure to release the name so urgently of someone she knows when her logic is not intact and she may not know whether or not she wants to get her husband in trouble ,which will lead to vital evidence being gone if, at a later stage she does decide to press charges.

Rape is so personal for a victim and such a heinous crime that it isn't just a matter of saying the perpetrator's name.

Reporting a crime like rape is very different than reporting a crime like someone tried to shoot me.

Of course police care, hence gathering every single piece of evidence they can. Most important evidence at that early juncture is forensic. You need to coerce the victim to have a bodily examination, in the best way possible.

• Advertisement

SAMTALK wrote: »
    Parents saying it wasnt for kids eyes (fair enough), but is it ok to watch soaps then they're in the pub morning noon and night?, When they are having affairs behing partners backs?, When they are robbing or murdering someone?.
    If you let your kids watch soaps then you have to be ready for things that are not appropriate . Record and watch when they are in bed.

100%!
    I used to work with a woman who would complain if the soaps got a bit serious before the watershed because she let her children watch them but then at the same time, she had no problem with her children watching Mrs Brown's Boys with all the filthy jokes and bad language) because that's "just fun".

The stuff that goes on in soapland - everyone is literally always scheming and plotting something, siblings murdering siblings, affairs literally between everyone, incest, secret pregnancies, secret abortions, murders and sexual assaults and all the rest of it - if you let your children watch soaps, be prepared for lots of questions, if you don't want to answer those questions, don't let them watch soaps!

Also, am I right in thinking Pierce is a solicitor? I'm sure he'll use that to his advantage.

Advertisement