Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emmerdale [News, Spoilers and Discussion - from Oct 2016]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Time to change Vanessa and Charity to Vanity

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Charity fast becoming one of my favourite characters, which I didn't see coming.

Charity has always been one of my favourites. Sure we all hate her at times, but only when we're supposed to. Emma Atkins is phenomenally good in the part, and Charity and Vanessa together are amazing. I never understood the Robron fanatics (they're fine now I suppose and Robert has gotten much better recently, but I thought he was such a twat for years and that Aaron deserved better), but I'm 100% in favour of Vanity (Chanessa has a nice ring to it too, but obviously Vanity is cleverer)...

One character I've always loved, but most people seem to hate is Paddy. I just think he's fantastic at playing the bumbling idiot but is also great at doing more serious stuff - like when he's being a father figure to Aaron or whatever. Same goes for Marlon - I get the impression people do not like him either, but he's another of my favourites. I can see why they'd irritate some people, but I just find them incredibly endearing.

Anyone who dislikes Sam though, is just plain wrong. How can you dislike Sam Dingle? James Hooton really does not get enough credit for playing Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,522 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I always forget it was Paddy and Emily who fostered / adopted Debbie yet now Debbie never has any interaction with Paddy
    Lisa has an angina attack and is set to make a big change to have less stress, is it dump Zak and Dingle clan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I can't stand Charity and Vanessa as a couple! Maybe because I have no great affection towards either of them!

I love Paddy and Marlon and Sam, dont know how anyone doesn't!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Charity has always been one of my favourites. Sure we all hate her at times, but only when we're supposed to. Emma Atkins is phenomenally good in the part, and Charity and Vanessa together are amazing. I never understood the Robron fanatics (they're fine now I suppose and Robert has gotten much better recently, but I thought he was such a twat for years and that Aaron deserved better), but I'm 100% in favour of Vanity (Chanessa has a nice ring to it too, but obviously Vanity is cleverer....

Yeah, I guess it's just been that long since I watched it before taking it up again recently that it's like starting fresh with all the characters for me. I can't really remember liking any of the Dingles before, to be honest, except Chas.

What I really liked about Vanessa and Charity too was that it was quite a light hearted coming out story, which is rare. I don't think anyone in the village had an issue with it and there were only one or two episodes where Vanessa was sorting her own head out and then that was it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Only new to watching the show myself and can see the fantastic acting calibre of Emma Atkins and guy who plays Cain. A friend has informed of their past storylines and how good they are acting together. This storyline is she doing now is going to be so well acted. Puts the likes of Corrie to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

I think some of the characters have stayed too long and the writers just seem to add marriages/divorces/affairs/children just to give them something to do every now and again. Paddy and Marlon have been married 3 or 4 times each at this stage, most of the time it seems to be just so they can mess up again. Ditto Bob and David who have long outlived their respective stays and seem to exist only to have affairs and get married/move in with 'the love of my life' and then mess up/break up again.

Similarly Debbie just gets her mothers storylines updated.

I think it would be better to just get rid of quite a few of them and move in some new characters. Lets say a proper cafe or possibly a shop maybe? A new chef backed by a wealthy business owner opening a restaurant that might be a threat to the Woolie. Or maybe some new vets who actually do some work.

I used to follow Emmerdale all the time but gave up when it became the Barton v Sugden brothers shootout a good while back. The Barton's had potential to become a solid farm family but then is just descended to a who' s sleeping with who set up. Not to mention all the murders/attempted murders....totally overdone.

It's hard to get the balance right on soaps. 3 years is the standard run on soaps like Home & Away. I suppose you don't always get to develop the characters much in that space of time given how many other characters have to get screen time too. It's good at times to have long running characters who you can delve quite deep with, Charity's current storyline for example. Then again she's done the marrying a rich guy and it all blowing up in her face thing quite a few times over the years too.

Of course it is all Lisa's fault never mind she nearly died

How come Lisa or Vanessa didn't give evidence plus how did Gabby get only community service?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Joe arranged for her lawyer to be otherwise engaged and a senior lawyer arrived who was absolutely useless, wouldn't even use Lisa a witness for Aaron's sister. All to get at Robert.

• Advertisement

Gabby stole the ketamine with intend to harm, she admitted it but only gets community service :confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,921 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I didn't watch it yet , was Liv sentenced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Joe arranged for her lawyer to be otherwise engaged and a senior lawyer arrived who was absolutely useless, wouldn't even use Lisa a witness for Aaron's sister. All to get at Robert.

I think it was a senile lawyer not senior

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    I didn't watch it yet , was Liv sentenced ?

Yes 4 months

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yes 4 months

Just enough time to study, do her o levels and a holiday,last year gabby was sent to Oz

• Registered Users Posts: 21,921 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Yes 4 months

Ah no :(

That's a balls of a racket , powerful TomJoe faceache intentionally traumatizes an already troubled young girl . To get back at Robert .

Well done big man . Such a clear conscious he has .

Think it would have been a far more interesting twist if Joe had helped Liv instead. A lot of what he's done so far has been fairly small time, in that everyone can recover again pretty easily, in fact most of them have already. Sending a child to prison is just a full on dick move. If they're planning on having Joe stick around and not just be a pantomime villain then they're going to have their work cut out for them now.
    I know Isobel Steele is probably off doing exams so had to be written out for a bit but even having Joe attempt to help her would have been an interesting character development.

Just enough time to study, do her o levels and a holiday,last year gabby was sent to Oz

Liv could have gone to Ireland to visit her mother who really should have been at her trial

Of course it is all Lisa's fault never mind she nearly died

How come Lisa or Vanessa didn't give evidence plus how did Gabby get only community service?

It wasn't a trial, just a sentencing, so no need for evidence.
    You do see all the time posh kids getting away with things like this whereas the more working class kids get punished. Also, to be fair, it was Liv's actions that nearly killed someone. Although Gabby's actions did cost Vanessa her job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

If I'm not mistaken both Isobel Steele (Liv) and Rosie Bentham (Gabby) did their GCSE's last year which was why Liv went to Ireland for 6 months and Gabby went to Australia, so if she's going to go to prison I imagine we might be following her journey. Unless Isobel Steele has more exams - I don't really know how A levels work, so she could possibly be doing further exams of course.

• Advertisement

It wasn't a trial, just a sentencing, so no need for evidence.
    You do see all the time posh kids getting away with things like this whereas the more working class kids get punished. Also, to be fair, it was Liv's actions that nearly killed someone. Although Gabby's actions did cost Vanessa her job.

Yes Gabby played it well, showing remorse and using Ashley's death where Liv did not want any talk of her father Gordon

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What had Joe over the Lawyer who seemed to be all righteous and honourable. What made her want to risk her career to appease Joe and to land Liv in prison.

Lisa must be doing GCSEs too.

Poor Lisa, I hope she returns soon, the woman nearly died

Lisa's laying it on pretty thick with this Liv business. It's not like the girls were actually targeting her, she's acting like they took out a professional hit on her. And Lisa was front and center with the pitchforks when Charity didn't tell them about Belle faking her pregnancy but now she's up on her cross when the rest of the family give her the same treatment.

Lisa's laying it on pretty thick with this Liv business. It's not like the girls were actually targeting her, she's acting like they took out a professional hit on her. And Lisa was front and center with the pitchforks when Charity didn't tell them about Belle faking her pregnancy but now she's up on her cross when the rest of the family give her the same treatment.

The Dingles are all a bunch of hypocrites but Lisa nearly died from what Liv did even if was an accident
    Moira discovers Simon is Ross's acid attacker and that Debbie arranged but will she grass and tell the police, probably not

Moira discovers Simon is Ross's acid attacker and that Debbie arranged but will she grass and tell the police, probably not

I think the guy that plays Ross was on some morning TV yesterday and he said
    that he assumes it will all come out at some point but that they haven't gotten to that yet in so far as filming goes. Of course, he could be lying. Does Charity know it was Debbie that set it up or is it still just Cane?

I think the guy that plays Ross was on some morning TV yesterday and he said
    that he assumes it will all come out at some point but that they haven't gotten to that yet in so far as filming goes. Of course, he could be lying. Does Charity know it was Debbie that set it up or is it still just Cane?

Only Cain, Graham and TomJoe know

Poor Lisa she did nothing wrong and I don’t like Liv she’s a face like a slapped arse

• Advertisement

Poor Lisa she did nothing wrong and I don’t like Liv she’s a face like a slapped arse

I like Liv but it'd be nice to see her get a less heavy storyline once the prison one is over. Isobel Steele is a very talented young actress and she handles all the drama with ease but she showed some comedy chops too when they were all living in the Woolpack. Her and Charity bounced off each other well in the few scenes they shared. Her and Gerry and Doug were good together too.

Advertisement