Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German law bill to bring a virtual Hitler back to “his homeland”

• 21-10-2016 9:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

The German government is trying to impose six months’ data retention/surveillance for all telecoms networks, a la NSA and GCHQ. The measure involves “light co-operation” with other spy agencies. The proposed law is an insult to non-German EU member state citizens and is probably illegal under the German constitution and the ECHR. The bill seeks to distinguish between German and non-German IP traffic – which in my view is in breach of EU law of itself.

Hitler used to have agents on every street, making notes on what they saw, who was coming and going, and these notes were passed on to the “intelligence” system. Which is the highest form of political corruption (by permanent and elected government).

Germany, formerly a bastion of civil liberty, is now trying to do that online.

Frau Merkel has exceeded her shelf life. Hopefully the opposition who voted against the law will take over the federal government after the 2017 elections and they will be in a position to reverse the law, in accordance with the way they voted against this bill.

https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/BND-Reform-Bundestag-beschliesst-Internetueberwachung-a-la-NSA-3356543.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Impetus wrote: »
    The German government is trying to impose six months’ data retention/surveillance for all telecoms networks, a la NSA and GCHQ. The measure involves “light co-operation” with other spy agencies. The proposed law is an insult to non-German EU member state citizens and is probably illegal under the German constitution and the ECHR. The bill seeks to distinguish between German and non-German IP traffic – which in my view is in breach of EU law of itself.

Hitler used to have agents on every street, making notes on what they saw, who was coming and going, and these notes were passed on to the “intelligence” system. Which is the highest form of political corruption (by permanent and elected government).

Germany, formerly a bastion of civil liberty, is now trying to do that online.

Frau Merkel has exceeded her shelf life. Hopefully the opposition who voted against the law will take over the federal government after the 2017 elections and they will be in a position to reverse the law, in accordance with the way they voted against this bill.

https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/BND-Reform-Bundestag-beschliesst-Internetueberwachung-a-la-NSA-3356543.html

Had to Godwin it didn't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    Had to Godwin it didn't you?

I was surprised to find that the OP has found that there are countries worse than Ireland out there. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

I was surprised to find that the OP has found that there are countries worse than Ireland out there. :rolleyes:

Well there is probably little if any internet connectivity up there in the Quazgar Mountains where you claim to live? I can therefore understand that your bias may come from a heavily constrained view of the totality of the content residing on the internet. I might even suspect that you only have internet access when you visit an internet cafe in the nearest big smoke.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Historically, AFAIR, it was the East German state that had the large scale surveillance of its civil population. According the Bruce Schneier's Data and Goliath it worked out at 1 security monitor per 66 citizens. He also points out that modern public and private monitoring of individuals in terms of data gathering far exceeds this level.

Advertisement