Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting Monuments On Private Land

Options
  • 21-10-2016 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

What's the story re trapsing over somebodies land? There are a couple of these sorts of things near me that I would like to visit but don't want to go taking liberties. I saw a picture of one and it has a small info plaque beside it - would that mean people have some sort of right to visit it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some have actual legal rights of way, others implicit at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Some farmers may have done this within their REPS schemes and are interested in their local history and archeology. Simply ask permission is probably the best way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

mikefoxo wrote: »
    What's the story re trapsing over somebodies land? There are a couple of these sorts of things near me that I would like to visit but don't want to go taking liberties. I saw a picture of one and it has a small info plaque beside it - would that mean people have some sort of right to visit it?

The actual monument is owned by the Irish State, but not the land under it and there is no universal right of way. As already mentioned it is best to seek permission when ever possible.

Advertisement