Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

olympic pistol back in the uk

• 21-10-2016 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

Good to see target pistol back in the uk, i know it doesn't affect us directly, but its a rare positive step to see it back, it normally whats going to be banned/restricted next. Maybe after a while things will become less stringent over there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,080 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The first step in a journey of a thousand miles.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    The first step in a journey of a thousand miles.

What makes me laugh is that there is all the range security for 5-shot .22 target pistols, but the chap shooting the cap and ball revolver with very little bother. I have to say the facilities on that range are really excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

As you say, nice range, a bit like ours in fact, out in the rurals of Northamptonshire, where we regularly shot any and all so-called long-barrel revolvers up to .44 Magnum calibres as well as the black powder handguns that we have always been able to shoot, albeit with a .75cal limit..

I notice that there was no mention of the 56,997 of us who used to shoot all kinds of handguns being able to join in the great fun of shooting .22cal target pistols with the same freedom that we currently enjoy when shooting .22cal NON-target pistols like the GSG M1911, Low Mills M1911, Volquartsen Ruger whatever it's called, and the SIG lookalike, albeit with somewhat longer barrels and 'counterweights'.

No real change here then, except that the Team GB Team won't have to go to Switzerland to train any more, only to Bisley...

tac

But the shooters had to, if they wanted to or not, head to switzerland to train. Personally if it were me, i would have refused to represent the country, if they didn't trust me to own or use a pistol.

Has there or are there any representations to the ptb here on the subject of licencing blackpowder revolvers and front stuffers ?

I understand that until the archaic Victorian-era Explosives Act gets re-written, that is not going to happen. Add to that that BP handguns are substantially bigger than .30cal - even the smallest is actually .31cal - and you have the difficulty of licensing a restricted firearm. For flintlocks, you might find that flints - lumps of inert rock - become licenseable items, since without them the flintlock firearm is no more than a fancy club, and that little bit of flint could be classed as vital component of the action of shooting the firearm.

It is axiomatic that percussion caps for percussion arms of all kinds will also be licenseable items, and for the same reason - more so, since they are, of themselves, explosive. So you might find them included on your explosives license in the same way as your gunpowder is included. IF you can obtain an explosives license in the first place, that is.

Bullets and balls? They may well be classed as 'reloading components', just like 'real bullets' instead of inert lumps of lead, and since there are no competitions in the country entered by Irish shooters for precision BP muzzleloading rifles, THAT will make its own problems.

Lots of hurdles to jump, Sir, before you get your hands on that kind of firearm in the RoI, sadly.

tac

• Advertisement

gunny123 wrote: »
    But the shooters had to, if they wanted to or not, head to switzerland to train. Personally if it were me, i would have refused to represent the country, if they didn't trust me to own or use a pistol.

Has there or are there any representations to the ptb here on the subject of licencing blackpowder revolvers and front stuffers ?

I did more than that - I almost resigned my commission in the British Army - my 2i/c, with only one handgun, and 14500 acres of windswept moorland in Scotland to shoot it on, actually did just that.

He felt that not being trusted with his grandpa's Webley single-shot pistol meant that trusting him with twelve Warrior MICVs, three mortar teams and three MANPAD teams and the lives of 120 fully-armed soldiers and all their kit was a cynical exercise.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Lots of hurdles to jump, Sir, before you get your hands on that kind of firearm in the RoI, sadly.

tac

True, but even in the uk where that lovely chap blair wanted everything banned, muzzleloading and bp revolvers were exempted. Also they are not of much interest to the criminal elements, not much street cred in trying to knock off a rival with a pistol that blackbeard might have carried. Hell, even the sawn off shotgun is seen as a museum piece by that lot.

That is so - I've never stopped shooting my BP revolvers and also have a .357Mag LBR, something that Mr B Liar never envisaged. This morning the shooter next to me was shooting his new GSG M1911, albeit with the crazy 'moderator' on the front, and 'counterbalance' on the back.

Just as in present-day Ireland, the criminal seems to have the choice of just about every modern handgun there is to be found - with more and more of them coming out of Eastern Europe than ever.

I wonder why that should be?

tac

Tac,
    I know how your 2in C felt..It must be the greatest insult to anyone serving in AGS armed units and are members of the AGS pistol club,to be told "Here go out in our streets with a full auto HK and Sig 9mm to do your duty for 8 to 10 hours risking life and limb.But you are not to be trusted with a 22 target pistol the moment you come in and go home in some cases with your duty arms." Myself,Id be saying screw the extra 100 quid a week or whatever I get for pay to carry arms...You can get some other mug to do it if I am not trustworthy in civvie life.
    On the question of ilegal arms.A good article in this months German gun mags on where and how criminals are getting illegal arms.Appraently the Germans have 5 million liscensed and accounted firearms,and estimated 20 million guns in the black market!Mostly old stuff from the last century and two world wars as well as a ban in 1972 and surviving numerous gun amnesties.This stuff is showing up more and more in gun crime,and if it isn't that it is stuff bought like this Summers shooting in Munich,on the dark net. So what has the German and EU response been??Make everyone go and buy stronger gun safes and in the EU..we must ban especially dangerous semi autos that look like military arms!As well as obviously liscensing any women who wish to buy nail polish remover and hydrogen peroxide.:rolleyes: Where is this handcart of the EU going and into which hell is it taking us?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

So what has the German and EU response been??Make everyone go and buy stronger gun safes and in the EU..we must ban especially dangerous semi autos that look like military arms!As well as obviously liscensing any women who wish to buy nail polish remover and hydrogen peroxide.:rolleyes: Where is this handcart of the EU going and into which hell is it taking us?

Seen an article in one of todays papers where Micheál Martin is berating the uk for leaving the Eu, and that he and his party :rolleyes:, are fully behind the eu project, in other words if this ban comes into being, he wouldn't be asking any difficult questions, more like "yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir". Enough you make you yak.

• Advertisement

The whole bunch are no better than ,and only qualified to be, glorified county councillors parish pump politicans and pothole menders in two expensive county council chambers of the Dail and Senad.:mad:Leave all the difficult decisions to the elite in Brussels and then snivel and toady that "its Brussels,nuthin we can do about it!"No wonder,when they see how hopelessly outgunned and out manouvered they are on every level when they meet real politicans and leaders on the international stage and that Dail politics don't cut it in the really real world.Quisslings and collabratuers the lot of them!:mad:

It will be good to leave all that Brussels c**p behind.

The UK has always been 'another country' to the mainland Europeans, and the British only ever went there to go to war - for over eight hundred years or so.

Mind you, the stuff that we have to deal with here with regard to guns and shooting is ALL totally home-grown.

'You can always tell when a politician is lying - he opens his mouth and speaks.'

tac

The whole bunch are no better than ,and only qualified to be, glorified county councillors parish pump politicans and pothole menders in two expensive county council chambers of the Dail and Senad.:mad:Leave all the difficult decisions to the elite in Brussels and then snivel and toady that "its Brussels,nuthin we can do about it!"No wonder,when they see how hopelessly outgunned and out manouvered they are on every level when they meet real politicans and leaders on the international stage and that Dail politics don't cut it in the really real world.Quisslings and collabratuers the lot of them!:mad:

Well i did think we were bad here, but when i look at the presidential election in the usa, i wonder if its any better anywhere else.

Were we in the USA,this discussion wouldn't be happening.Unless maybe we lived in CA or Chicago or some other gun ban state.But then again some of their worst gun banning states would be ultra liberal compared to what we put up with here. It is unfortunate that this election is for one or the other "most appaling New York millionare for the White House."But then again anyone sane in the US who could do a much better job than whats on offer would run a million miles from that god awful job.Who wants their past,present and future and their fammlies,probed,prodded and peed on by the great global unwashed??For 500 grand salary and perks and four years of non stop headaches?:eek:

Advertisement