Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Auris/Prius hybrid - hard on tyres?

• 21-10-2016 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭

I had a vehicle inspection carried out today on a hybrid Auris in the UK.

The emailed report showed the two front tyres having been already replaced with only 21000 miles on the car.

I would have expected the originals to be still on at this stage.

I called the inspection engineer and he said this isn't unusual for the Toyota hybrids because of the heavy drive train up front they wear tyres a bit quicker.

Anyone have any opinions or experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

They're probably very new, which is a good thing! 20k odd miles for a FWD car isn't unusual.

Our Leaf has 37k miles on the clock, and all tyres were rotated regularly. We'll be lucky to make it to 40k miles before all four need to be replaced.

n97 mini wrote: »
    They're probably very new, which is a good thing! 20k odd miles for a FWD car isn't unusual.

Our Leaf has 37k miles on the clock, and all tyres were rotated regularly. We'll be lucky to make it to 40k miles before all four need to be replaced.

Obviously driving a hell of a lot easier than me !!!

My tyres were replaced at 45K Kms never mind miles ! No harm either, the EC 300's are Sh**e in the wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I had to replace the tyres on my Prius when I got it at about 40k miles due to uneven wear - I'm not sure if it was due to the tracking being out, or incorrect inflation. Maybe similar happened with this one?

I don't think the drivetrain is particularly heavy, especially compared to the equivalent diesel engine. If anything, there's more weight in the rear due to the batteries.

And yes, I've heard nothing good about Bridgestone Ecopias (EP150 were OEM on some Toyotas?) in the wet. I have Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance and they seem pretty good.

Yes I have the Efficient grip performance and they're way better in the wet but slightly worse in the dry than the EC300's but the wet grip more than makes up for it.

The Leaf has a lot of torque at low speeds and this is hard on tyres of you drive like me. The Prius has a decent bit of torque also from the motor.

Over or under inflated tyres will wear tyres prematurely and also if the alignment is off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Obviously driving a hell of a lot easier than me !!!
    Years of driving a Civic IMA trains you to drive gently. Upshifting at less than 2000 rpm can draw gasps of disapproval from unwary passengers!

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    Years of driving a Civic IMA trains you to drive gently. Upshifting at less than 2000 rpm can draw gasps of disapproval from unwary passengers!

I didn't drive too easy in the prius but I drive a lot harder in the Leaf, electricity is cheap and all that torque is so much fun. :D

Advertisement