Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused Car Insurance Cover By Direct Cannel

• 22-10-2016 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

My car insurance was up for renewal in the last few weeks with ALLIANZ, being in the unfortunate situation of having an open claim on my policy (someone else was driving my car who had an accident and the open claim is aginst my policy from almost 3 years ago) I am restricted from trying other insurance companies, however, given the fact that I have a 9 year protected no claims bonus I thought I would be somewhat insulated from a significant increase in premium this year.

To my shock it came in at almost €1,300 with ALLIANZ throught a broker which is a 57% increase on last year. When I queried this with the broker they advised that I had no other option but to take what was being offered as no other company would take me on with an open claim.

So, I decided to call ALLIANZ DIRECT rather than go through the broker to see if I could get a reduced price by dealing direct and to my surprise I was quoted €800 taking into accout my 9 years no claims bonus. Agreed to proceed complete all the necessary docs and foward my no claims cert. Within a week ALLIANZ DIRECT were back on to advise they could not put me on cover because of the open claim and returned my premium by way of check with a nice letter advising I am no longer on cover and that they RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REPORT ME TO THE GARDI FOR DRIVING WITHOUT INSURANCE.

However, this same shameful company ALLIANZ are willing to put me on cover throught their broker channel for €500 more on a like basis. This is the crazy car insurance market that many Irish people find themselves having to deal with at the moment. I known this is a small problem compared to what others have to go through, however, I feel it incumbent upon me to make some type of a stand against this shameful behaviour and would appreciate if you could provide any advise as how best to proceed and if Allianz are entitled to reufuse cover through their direct channel, seeing that I am already their customer through their broker channel?

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Try the insurance ombudsman.

Had you declared the open claim to them when they gave you the €800 quote direct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Flangeo wrote:
    However, this same shameful company ALLIANZ are willing to put me on cover throught their broker channel for €500 more on a like basis. This is the crazy car insurance market that many Irish people find themselves having to deal with at the moment. I known this is a small problem compared to what others have to go through, however, I feel it incumbent upon me to make some type of a stand against this shameful behaviour and would appreciate if you could provide any advise as how best to proceed and if Allianz are entitled to reufuse cover through their direct channel, seeing that I am already their customer through their broker channel?

When they asked online who you were insured with did you say ? When they asked whether you hand any accidents what did you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Flangeo

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Try the insurance ombudsman.

Had you declared the open claim to them when they gave you the €800 quote direct?

The question they asked was if I had any accidents in the last 3 years, the answer was no as someone else was driving my car. Regardless of the I had a fully protected NCB and the risk is with the same company. They are not supposed to be penalising me for having an accident as I have a protected NCB? Tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Sono

Open claim on your policy has caused all of this, allianz direct would have not quoted you €800 had you disclosed all your information in the first place.

I'm nearly sure they ask if there is any open claims on your current policy?

peteb2 wrote: »
    When they asked online who you were insured with did you say ? When they asked whether you hand any accidents what did you say?

They never asked who I was insured with, with regards to the question on accidents, the question was had I had any accidents in the last 3 years and the answer was no as I was not driving the car when the accident occurred. Regardless of all this, this is the same insurance company who I have a fully protected NCB so why should I get treated any different through a direct channel?

• Advertisement

Sono wrote: »
    Open claim on your policy has caused all of this, allianz direct would have not quoted you €800 had you disclosed all your information in the first place.

I'm nearly sure they ask if there is any open claims on your current policy?

I know, however the open claim is with Allianz, and I have a protected NCB which not supposed to affect the premium?

Flangeo wrote: »
    They never asked who I was insured with, with regards to the question on accidents, the question was had I had any accidents in the last 3 years and the answer was no as I was not driving the car when the accident occurred. Regardless of all this, this is the same insurance company who I have a fully protected NCB so why should I get treated any different through a direct channel?

You have had an accident in the last 3 years as it is on your policy and you know this. The person to be annoyed with is the person that crashed your car not the insurance company.

As for your fully protected ncb you're allowed have 1 claim every 3 years with no affect on it so I'm guessing there are personal injury claims outstanding hence why this case is still open?

You have a protected No Claims Bonus. That means the percentage by which they reduce the premium stays the same.

Nothing stopping them jacking up the premium though (and they clearly have).

It's a common misconception.

You have a protected No Claims Bonus. That means the percentage by which they reduce the premium stays the same.

Yep, premiums are going up and up yet when someone has a claim and it goes up on renewal they believe they've been penalised for the accident even when the bonus is protected

Yep, premiums are going up and up yet when someone has a claim and it goes up on renewal they believe they've been penalised for the accident even when the bonus is protected

I understand all this, but yet I can get it 500 cheaper with their direct challenge, I am not supposed to get penalised for having an accident if I have a protected NCB or am I missing something here?

• Advertisement

For that reason I only ever get step-back protection, and then only if it adds less than about a tenner to the premium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Have you tried the broker since?

It's possible the won't I'm sure you now as you've been refused insurance and didn't disclose the open claim which you knew you were supposed to.

I understand all this, but yet I can get it 500 cheaper with their direct challenge, I am not supposed to get penalised for having an accident if I have a protected NCB or am I missing something here?

You clearly can't, as they've refused it once they copped the open claim.

See my post above. Your bonus percentage is protected. Your premium is not.

For that reason I only ever get step-back protection, and then only if it adds less than about a tenner to the premium.

I think you're mad only having step back, losing 3 years of your ncb for a claim is madness IMO, each to their own I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Your discount remains in place.

The premium that gets discounted gets increased because of the claim.

I understand all this, but yet I can get it 500 cheaper with their direct challenge, I am not supposed to get penalised for having an accident if I have a protected NCB or am I missing something here? So why is a like for like policy significantly cheaper through direct and if so as this is the same company why can I not avail of it. The question here is really around the treatment of customers through different channels

Yes you are missing something as you can't do this which you've clearly told us already.

I think you're mad only having step back, losing 3 years of your ncb for a claim is madness IMO, each to their own I guess

But why would I pay extra for a discount, when they can just hike up the premium to cover the difference?

I won't call it a scam but it's a bit of a swizz, as the OP has just found out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭weisses

And people still find it strange that there are so many uninsured drivers ....

Stoolbend wrote: »
    Have you tried the broker since?

It's possible the won't I'm sure you now as you've been refused insurance and didn't disclose the open claim which you knew you were supposed to.

The open claim is with the same company who have access to all my details. I have not tried to move companies, just use a different channel within the same company who hold the risk. My argument is why should I get treated differently through a different channel within the same company holding the same risk?

• Advertisement

But why would I pay extra for a discount, when they can just hike up the premium to cover the difference?

I won't call it a scam but it's a bit of a swizz, as the OP has just found out.

How is it a scam? There's an outstanding claim on their policy(guessing it's personal injury which is an average of €27k payout btw) hence why the premiums are going up but you still have your fully protected ncb.

Losing 3 years of an ncb if I had the maximum 5 would be a horrible thing to lose.

weisses wrote: »
    And people still find it strange that there are so many uninsured drivers ....

Love this argument, check out the personal injury claims in Ireland that's why premiums are going up yet people are ignorant to it, people are scamming each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭square ball

The premium for €500 cheaper was based on you not disclosing a material fact. As the claim was on your policy it was against you so you had to declare it regardless of who was driving. You must have known this was going to be an issue if you tried shopping around.

As for the bonus protection. Your bonus is protected not your premium. The main benefit for this is you do not have to start building your no claims bonus once the claim is settled. So after this year when the claim is settled or go over the claims free in 3 years threshold with some companies you won't be penalized at all.

Yes you are missing something as you can't do this which you've clearly told us already.

The question is why? I work for a financial company with many different routes to market. Every route we treat the customer the same way. This is clearly not evident here. What I am asking is, is this right and should it be allowed. I seemed to be getting penalised for having an accident when I have a protected NCB?

The question is why? I work for a financial company with many different routes to market. Every route we treat the customer the same way. This is clearly not evident here. What I am asking is, is this right and should it be allowed. I seemed to be getting penalised for having an accident when I have a protected NCB?

Your premium has gone up like nearly everyone else, regardless of this accident it would have increased.

Case closed

You clearly can't, as they've refused it once they copped the open claim.

See my post above. Your bonus percentage is protected. Your premium is not.

There are the same company carrying the same risk, if I was trying to move company, yes I would understand. If I have a protected NCB Im not supposed to get penalise. I.e I should have such an increase as it is clearly evident that they can do it forn 500 cheaper under the same 9yr NCB?

Flangeo wrote:

You can't get it direct for cheaper. Because you have incorrectly answered a question on the website. So your quote wasn't valid. And they would not have quoted if you declared it correctly.

Your protected NCB is irrelevant here. They are likely just increasing rates on your broker quote as that is the way motor is going.

You better hope they haven't cancelled your direct quote for non disclosure of the claim as you will have to tell insurers that in the future.

And can you even go back to your broker ? That policy will have lapsed.

Your premium has gone up like nearly everyone else, regardless of this accident it would have increased.

Case closed

I'm not disagreeing with that and understand it, what I have a problem with is the difference between the direct price and the broker price, if I did not have an open claim I could easily move. As this is the same company, holding the same risk how is it justified? The NCB discount is supposed to protect against accidents which does not seem to be the case here

Flangeo wrote:
    There are the same company carrying the same risk, if I was trying to move company, yes I would understand. If I have a protected NCB Im not supposed to get penalise. I.e I should have such an increase as it is clearly evident that they can do it forn 500 cheaper under the same 9yr NCB?

Pretend it wasn't Allianz you went to for the the purpose of doing away with your different channel notion. Pretend it was Zurich. You went to them and got a quote for 500 cheaper than Allianz - because you failed to declare the claim under your policy.

So your Zurich quote is invalid. If you didn't have a claim on your policy, yes you would be entitled to a cheaper quote. But you do have a claim so you aren't. And that's it in a nutshell.

• Advertisement

Flangeo wrote:
    I'm not disagreeing with that and understand it, what I have a problem with is the difference between the direct price and the broker price, if I did not have an open claim I could easily move. As this is the same company, holding the same risk how is it justified? The NCB discount is supposed to protect against accidents which does not seem to be the case here

The difference isn't between the broker and direct price. It's your non disclosure of the claim.

I'm starting to think you are deliberately misunderstanding to suit your own argument.

The NCB protection prevents against losing your NCB. So in this instance your broker quoted you 1500 instead of 3000!! Because you retained your NCB.

Rates change. You've seen the papers right?

And disregard any idea of a direct channel and the pricing. Because it just isn't open to you

And there will always be a price difference between a broker and directly dealing with the broker. That's the price of business.

Advertisement