Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voucher for new laptop. What could I get

Options
  • 22-10-2016 8:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 332 ✭✭

I have a voucher for a new laptop or PC from Harvey Norman but don't know what's best to buy. I have 830€ to spend. What illl need it for is to build my website, maintain it. Bookkeeping and just general use for internet. Don't really know much about computers tbh so don't know what to get.

Was in last week and was getting recommended to buy a hp laptop with 2 years warranty however forget what model it was. 680 euro I think it was and rest was for warranty.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

mcneil wrote: »
    I have a voucher for a new laptop or PC from Harvey Norman but don't know what's best to buy. I have 830€ to spend. What illl need it for is to build my website, maintain it. Bookkeeping and just general use for internet. Don't really know much about computers tbh so don't know what to get.

Was in last week and was getting recommended to buy a hp laptop with 2 years warranty however forget what model it was. 680 euro I think it was and rest was for warranty.

Any recommendations?

Harvey Norman would be my last port of call for any type of laptop required for any business application. Can you use the voucher for some other purchase or is it laptop specific?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 332 ✭✭mcneil

Maidhci wrote: »
    Harvey Norman would be my last port of call for any type of laptop required for any business application. Can you use the voucher for some other purchase or is it laptop specific?

Can only be used for laptop/PC :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Do you know how to build a website? And host it? And pay for and register domain name/s?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 332 ✭✭mcneil

davo2001 wrote: »
    Do you know how to build a website? And host it? And pay for and register domain name/s?

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

mcneil wrote: »
    Why?

Because that's what you say you will be doing with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I wouldn't be a huge fan of Acer (even less Harvey Norman), but this laptop seems to be best you can get for your budget:

http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/laptops/acer-aspire-r-14-14-laptop-r5-471t.html

Comes with i5 ULV processor, 1920x1080 display, 8GB RAM and SSD (which is on the small size). It will definitely be sufficient
    for what you have in mind, although you will probably want to use some form of external drive for your data as that 128GB SSD
    will fill up very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Do you have any links to the laptop he suggested? What size screen do you want? Do you need to carry it around a lot or will it mainly be used on a desk/table?

These will all effect what laptop you want. Personally I would not spend nearly 20% of the price on a Harvey Norman warranty much rather use the money on the laptop itself.

davo2001 wrote: »

Why would that effect what laptop he gets from Harvey Norman? It's not like it will be hosted on the laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You buy a laptop in any shop ,you get a 2 year warranty ,under eu law.
    take a photo of the receipt. put receipt in a drawer in case you need it.

Darwin wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a huge fan of Acer (even less Harvey Norman), but this laptop seems to be best you can get for your budget:

http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/laptops/acer-aspire-r-14-14-laptop-r5-471t.html

Comes with i5 ULV processor, 1920x1080 display, 8GB RAM and SSD (which is on the small size). It will definitely be sufficient
    for what you have in mind, although you will probably want to use some form of external drive for your data as that 128GB SSD
    will fill up very quickly.

Had a quick look at the Harvey Norman site and the laptop above is probably the best you will get for the money that you have from HN.

As Darwin says just get an external hard drive for photos/movies etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement