Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parent and child parking spaces

Options
  • 22-10-2016 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Just back from the shops there and I had to park a good bit away from the front door cause i needed the space to open my car door widely as getting in and out is not only hindered by the growing bump but also by the pain of having PGP. I have to open the door wide so it stays open so that i can drag my second leg in slowly, not quickly before the door slams. ( have tried the knees together and using a plastic bag trick, havent gotten the hang of it yet :()

So on my walk from my distant parking spot to the front door i hobbled past the parent and child spots and there were several free, am ineligible to use them even though my only child is in my tummy? I think i would still feel a bit guilty and would fear confrontation but at the same time it would have made my morning much much easier. Cant make my mind up about what i think. I am technically still with child though i suppose! What do you all think?

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Personally I wouldn't begrudge a pregnant woman using one of them. I mean you quite literally have a "baby on board"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I use them because I've a toddler but now that I'm heavily pregnant with SPD I still use them even if he's not in the car with me. I see these abused wholesale but I wouldn't think a pregnant lady falls under that category at all. I normally shop in the Merrion and was actually going to mention it to the store manager so if I remember to do so this week I will let you know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

It wouldn't bother me if a pregnant lady used the spaces. I know I was very conscious of getting blocked in the last few weeks when the bump was big, thankfully I didn't have any major problems moving around.
    What does grind my gears though is seeing people who have no children with them (and not pregnant etc) or have older children (5/6/7 year olds +) using them because for the most part they don't need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

In private car parks there's no obligation on drivers to have a child or a baby with them to use these parking spaces. Same with the disabled ones. Its up to the shopping centre/shop to enforce it.
    Some of the bigger shopping centres will clamp on the disabled ones but I know in smaller car parks it up to the decency of drivers, that don't need these spaces, to leave them free.

It boils my blood when I see someone with no kids using these spaces but a pregnant woman technically has a baby with her :)

Personally I think pregnant women should be allowed to use the disabled spaces if they have spd, it's debilitating. Temporary dated display badges would surely be easy to issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Use them, particularly if you have spd! I remember getting blocked in in Aldi on my first baby. Car beside me parked so close to me that I literally couldn't get into the car. And I was too big to get in on the passenger side and climb over. Had to go in and get one of the shop assistants to come out and move the car for me cos they didn't have a PA system to ask the driver to move their car. I was mortified!

I'm still wondering how they got out of their own car because the space was that tight, they'd need to have been supermodel skinny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Good to hear all these opinions! Think I might give it a go although I am feeling a bit nervous about it! Already imagining be accosted by some angry parent!

Hopefully mothers memories are not too short and they remember how they might have felt at my stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

I am such a loser, went to supermarket on way home but chickened out and didnt use the p&c spot. The ol pelvis isnt too bad today so i didnt really mind and there were lots of spaces close to the door.

But walked by the p&c spaces and a woman with her two teenage sons pulled into one of the spots, that is definitely my mind made up, i have way more right to it than her! Funny how we pay more attention to things like who uses the spots now that they are potentially something i am eligible to use!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

I found pushing the trolley a killer. Avoid that if ye have bad backs/ pelvises. And yep, use the spots. Half the peopke who do shouldnt be there.

Advertisement