Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2016-17

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    6mI9Umu.jpg

Embiid can defend the paint. Brook Lopez is a much better defender going by the above than I assumed also.

Joakim Noah makes me cry though.

I've said this a few times on here, Lopez up close is just enormous. He's just so frickin wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

I would think the sample size of the current season is pretty small for this metric but some interesting players scattered around none the less.
    Aldridge for one.
    I'd be curious to compare this to the post season version.
    I would expect a few less outliers by the end of season.
    This type of metric favours Embiid though or anyone else playing far less than 36 mins because to my knowledge(could be wrong) per 36 mins doesn't make assumptions about players regressing due to fatigue and given Embiid averages 24 mins or so and doesn't play back to backs it's very favourable towards him.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,312 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Data would be cleaner if you use per 100 possessions then?

If I don't see one at season's end I'll do one myself.

Data would be cleaner if you use per 100 possessions then?

If I don't see one at season's end I'll do one myself.

Yeah it would probably be a more balanced sample for the likes of Embiid, isn't per 100 possessions generally a team stat?? Again, either way I'm sure outliers will exist and no stat will be perfect, I think it's interesting either way.

I mean for the most part take Ryan Anderson or Anthony Davis, they're probably right about where you'd expect them to be.

Outliers there for me would probably be Embiid, maybe Biyombo and Drummond.
    I think you could make an argument for Aldridge and Pau too but I wouldn't be shocked to see that continue given their production is probably a byproduct of the teams system.
    All in all it looks like a great comparison.

I've said this a few times on here, Lopez up close is just enormous. He's just so frickin wide.

He went 5 - 6 from 3pt range last night in Chicago.

In 8 seasons in the league before this year, he was 3 - 31 lifetime from behind the arc. Indeed, he was 0 - 7 his first six seasons in the league.

This year? 51 - 142, .359%

That's a 28 year old big man on a terrible franchise still evolving his game and obviously putting in a ton of work in the offseason. He never gets talked about from a Trade perspective but I have to wonder if there could be a couple of years in there of extreme value to a contender somewhere.

• Advertisement

He went 5 - 6 from 3pt range last night in Chicago.

In 8 seasons in the league before this year, he was 3 - 31 lifetime from behind the arc. Indeed, he was 0 - 7 his first six seasons in the league.

This year? 51 - 142, .359%

That's a 28 year old big man on a terrible franchise still evolving his game and obviously putting in a ton of work in the offseason. He never gets talked about from a Trade perspective but I have to wonder if there could be a couple of years in there of extreme value to a contender somewhere.

I agree I think he has loads to offer, his biggest issue was the foot injuries which are obviously a huge issue for a 7 footer.

He'll never be a rim protector but neither will Pau Gasol but in the right system he could be average (hidden). FT shooting tends to be used an indicator of 3 pt potential and he's a career 80% shooter.

I see Lopez as a better Kanter/Vucevic and a weaker Pau Gasol/Aldridge, fitness and system will determine where exactly he'll fall within that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

He has been mentioned a lot in trade rumours in fairness I don't really know why the bets wouldn't trade him if they have gotten decent offers its very u likely they will be successful within the next 5 years so you would think that they would take whatever young asset/draft picks they could take

Laughable.

Clippers lose 4 straight in a "tough" run against Dallas, Pelicans, Denver and LA.

Seriously Balmer, pull the plug on Rivers.

He doesn't know how to build a team as evidenced by complete reliance on one player(who can't play every minute) and his coaching is woeful.

Keep going like this and they'll fall out of the playoffs.
    Which I'd love to be honest but sadly that 8th spot is just going to be impossible to lose after a good start.

Laughable.

Clippers lose 4 straight in a "tough" run against Dallas, Pelicans, Denver and LA.

Seriously Balmer, pull the plug on Rivers.

He doesn't know how to build a team as evidenced by complete reliance on one player(who can't play every minute) and his coaching is woeful.

Keep going like this and they'll fall out of the playoffs.
    Which I'd love to be honest but sadly that 8th spot is just going to be impossible to lose after a good start.

Rivers can't be sacked because then Austin would be out of the league.....;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Lebron pushed off twice down the stretch tonight against the Celtics, both times leading to blocking fouls on Horford and Smart respectively.

One set of rules for everyone else...

• Advertisement

Listening to the Bill Simmons podcast at the mo talking about the George Karl book, think I'll be buying that!

Assessing 4 worst teams and what's their best strategy

Big flaw: Lack of picks and young talent

"In addition to their treasure trove of picks now controlled by the Celtics, the Nets don't have any young pieces of much value beyond Rondae Hollis-Jefferson. Chris McCullough, the team's 2015 first-rounder, appears to be a miss as he's averaged fewer than 6.0 MPG in 10 games this season. The only other player younger than 25 in their top 10 in minutes is former second-round pick Isaiah Whitehead.

Due to the pick swap with Boston, BPI projects the Nets to pick 23rd in the first round of what is expected to be a loaded draft at the top, and their 2018 first-rounder is headed straight to Boston.

Solution: Trade Brook Lopez

Lopez is having arguably the best season of his career and is easily the top player on the Nets' roster. Not only has he been one of the better offensive centers for several seasons, he has added a 3-point shot to his arsenal, too. Throw in the fact that he has missed just three games this season and it's likely the oft-injured center's stock will never be higher.

Lopez's contract -- $21 million this season and $22.6M in 2017-18, the final year of his deal -- makes a move tricky, but he's good enough and young enough at 28 that the Nets may be able to find a solid trade partner. And if not now, when? Keeping him until the summer of 2018 could mean losing him for nothing in free agency or dropping a fat max contract on a 30-plus big man when the franchise will likely still be far away from contention.

Luckily for Brooklyn their needs aren't limited in a trade. Get a young player with upside, another first-rounder in this draft and/or some future picks and it'll most likely be a net-positive."

Net-positive at the end is genius

Listening to the Bill Simmons podcast at the mo talking about the George Karl book, think I'll be buying that!

Just listened he's retired anyway :D crazy what he said about the pippen-kemp trade

Thomas's 52pt game made me take a look at him and I think taking everything into account he could start this year's All Star game. People like him, like the Celtics.
    He's in the top 3 in PER, EWA and VA along with a low turnover rate and some great stat stuffing nights.
    I think he'd be in the conversation for most improved if Giannis wasn't around.

I think Hayward would be there too(especially if you adjust his stats for pace)((I know the the argument, "maybe the pace makes his numbers etc")).

DeRozan could be there too but his stats have obviously regressed because he lives in the mid range which I think will continue to decline. His advanced stats VORP and BPM are actually pretty poor although his PER has improved.

It's such a interesting year for individual awards especially MVP, feeling more confident in Harden given the last MVP to win the award without his team in the top 2 in their conference was Karl Malone.

If the Rockets finish 2nd which they might and OKC finish only 7th or below, Harden should be able to get the win but it'll obviously be very close

Hardens game score for the triple double is the 24th greatest game of all time by avg game score since recording started in 1983.
    Greatest game of all time is http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199003280CLE.html held by Jordan who "only" had 5 better than Hardens while Kobes 81 pt game finished 2nd ever.
    Funny enough none of Westbrook's games this season are in the top 5 for the season so far.

Jimmy Butlers 52 last night makes him the 8th different player to have a 50+ game this season, which is joint most in NBA history. With 100days left in the regular season you have to think that record is in serious danger. Over to you KD/Steph.....

brady23 wrote: »
    Hardens game score for the triple double is the 24th greatest game of all time by avg game score since recording started in 1983.
    Greatest game of all time is http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199003280CLE.html held by Jordan who "only" had 5 better than Hardens while Kobes 81 pt game finished 2nd ever.
    Funny enough none of Westbrook's games this season are in the top 5 for the season so far.

Can you post the full link to that list (as opposed to the Jordan game)? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

randle with a triple double last night for lakers,they really do have some promising young talent

ESPN big board 2.0 still has Fultz at no1 with Lonzo Ball at 2. I think is Lonzo Ball didn't have a weird jumper he'd be no1 but it is a deterrent in a league more and more moving towards the 3pt shot even though he's shooting a good %.

I wonder would Boston move the pick for the right guy, I don't know who they'd try get outside of Cousins though.

Harry Giles slipped to 8th and could slip further, the knees and lack of productivity so far is scaring people off.
    They have Twolves taking him there but I think if the Mavs don't take him at 6, he could slip to Kings at 10 or Knicks at 12.

My favorite is Dennis Smith though. I think he has tons of ability and if the Lakers keep their pick, I'd like to see them take him unless Giles comes back.

All hypothetical and they'll flip loads but I love the draft boards.

6th loss in a row for the Knicks on a buzzer beater. Okay, I was wrong. They're bad and they should feel bad. Noah contract is terrible and the new CBA mitigates against ability to sign a star should they let Rose go at year's end. They look like an expensive losing team not good enough to get in the playoffs and hard to retool successfully.

Equally, the Laker's early season positivity is long since faded and the Mozgov deal in particular looks worse with each passing week.

Sample sizes - the first month or so of the season can excite / depress to an unreasonable degree if you're not careful

6th loss in a row for the Knicks on a buzzer beater. Okay, I was wrong. They're bad and they should feel bad. Noah contract is terrible and the new CBA mitigates against ability to sign a star should they let Rose go at year's end. They look like an expensive losing team not good enough to get in the playoffs and hard to retool successfully.

Equally, the Laker's early season positivity is long since faded and the Mozgov deal in particular looks worse with each passing week.

Sample sizes - the first month or so of the season can excite / depress to an unreasonable degree if you're not careful
    On a more positive note the celtics are 3rd in the east, Isiah is looking amazing and they are in line to have top spot in the lottery

nerd69 wrote: »
    On a more positive note the celtics are 3rd in the east, Isiah is looking amazing and they are in line to have top spot in the lottery

**** the Celtics :)

nerd69 wrote: »

And something like 15 of their next 20 games are at home. They've had the most away games of any team in the league thus far.

Celtics are a lock for 3rd in the east, the East down to the Bucks is pretty much set.
    Pistons I thought were a lock with Pacers and Bulls fighting for 8th.
    West should be set down to 7th but I think (hope) Grizzlies get 6th and OKC to 7th.
    Maybe the Pelicans for 8th, simply because they have the best player around that spot and probably the least likely of the contenders to make a move.

Side note on the Celtics, I think if the right deal came about they'd move the Nets pick.
    They are ready now imo to make a charge if they make one more big move. I'd Horford wasnt the age he is I'd say wait but they're prime now.
    Outside of Boogie, I don't know the trade really, would the Clippers maybe listen to a deal on Blake??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Bucher saying Butler is on the table for a fair deal.

I cannot imagine why they would do this? Has Sam Hinkie been hired by the Bulls? They think he is too good to let them bottom out with that dreadful roster?

Maybe it's just clickbait since no teams are named as possible destinations, but I can't really think of teams that would make sense.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Bucher saying Butler is on the table for a fair deal.

I cannot imagine why they would do this? Has Sam Hinkie been hired by the Bulls? They think he is too good to let them bottom out with that dreadful roster?

Maybe it's just clickbait since no teams are named as possible destinations, but I can't really think of teams that would make sense.

I see the logic tbf if they dump Gibson and Rondo. I read something regarding Butler being at peak value now.

If Wade wanted to stay for his swansong and mentor whatever young pieces they get back or just trade him for whatever they can get.

Some deal involving Celtics. Nets 1st round pick, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart/Avery Bradley and a 3rd team or whoever else to balance the salaries, looks a decent deal for both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Just caught the last quarter of the thunder and rockets game. The one thing I got out of it was that Harden wasn't the typical Harden I've always seen, he was passing more and making better decisions. Westbrook was just his typical self, guy is an animal.
    Small sample size and I haven't even looked st the stats but for once I wasn't constantly rolling my eyes as Harden made poor decisons

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement