Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2016-17

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

I wonder if Dion Waiters is finally starting to live up to his potential a bit.
    22ppg and 48% from 3pt range over the Heats 7 game win streak which they should extend vs the Nets tonight.
    If he keeps it up someone is gonna throw silly money at him in the summer. He's definitely turning down his 3m player option

Started watching the GSW and Clippers game there, realised after 7mins of the first quarter that they'd lose by 30 odd and to just watch the 10min highlights on Youtube.

Carmelo, while a great addition isn't going to change this team.
    They'll still have one rebounder, Jamal playing Iso ball and other issues the real contenders don't have.
    GSW will sweep the Clippers in 4 easy games if they were lucky enough to get that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,313 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Final nail in the Knick's season last night imo. If they could have pulled it out at some point, it might have been the start of something. But it will be a gutting loss - the sixth by three points or less during January. That leaves them 5 - 11 for January, and 21 - 28 overall. I'll be losing my preseason over / under bet too. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Started watching the GSW and Clippers game there, realised after 7mins of the first quarter that they'd lose by 30 odd and to just watch the 10min highlights on Youtube.

Carmelo, while a great addition isn't going to change this team.
    They'll still have one rebounder, Jamal playing Iso ball and other issues the real contenders don't have.
    GSW will sweep the Clippers in 4 easy games if they were lucky enough to get that far.

I really thought the other day that the deal with Melo and the Clippers would happen but I'm not convinced now.
    If a deal with the Clippers doesn't happen, I dont see another realistic option where Melo would waive his trade clause for.

If I was to pick a team that would be intriguing to see with him in it, I'd pick Toronto, you'd have to fancy them in the East I think with Melo on the team. PF is their big issue and the Cavs aren't filling anyone with confidence.

I think Melo to the Raptors would create the most intriguing dynamic heading into the post season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just looked at the standings, Cleveland are now just 2.5 games ahead of Boston. They've finished Jan with a losing record - first time LeJob has had one in a month with 10 or more games since 2006. They have some injuries sure but they need to readjust.

I'm a C's fan and Boston are way behind Cleveland as a team (whatever the record says). That said, I don't want Melo - not by any means.

Melo to Clippers does not help the Clippers IMO. They're already a slow and poorly organised offence; adding a ball hogging gunner who plays poor D most of the time to that doesn't help incrementally, and certainly not anywhere near enough to get past GS or the Spurs.

Curry had a big night the other night, 43 points in 29mins over the first 3 quarters, 9/15 on 3's.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Melo to Clippers does not help the Clippers IMO. They're already a slow and poorly organised offence; adding a ball hogging gunner who plays poor D most of the time to that doesn't help incrementally, and certainly not anywhere near enough to get past GS or the Spurs.

Clippers are ****ed tbh they can't beat gsw with this team and they are to old to rebuild around the big 3 i don't think there is a way out of this for them

Enes Kanter being out has projected to cost OKC 1 loss over the next 20 games which he's expected to be out for.
    I thought he would cost them more but he's a poor defender I guess, he's still only 24, figured he was far older.
    I do think it'll give Joffrey Lauvergue a good chance, I really thought he could be good in Denver last year but they had a loaded frontcourt.
    He would have averaged 16ppg and 10rpg per36 mins. He hasn't had much chances this year and his minutes are down but I think he could fill the void quite well.
    I'd expect the Grizzlies to overtake them now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Steph "Skyfvcker" Curry is back, and it's not even post-All Star Game!

Wow what a horrific trade by the Hornets.
    The Bucks must have been laughing at them.
    Why anyone would take Miles Plumlees contract is beyond me.
    Neither Hibbert or Hawes are great additions but their contracts are fine.

Cody Zeller is very underrated at least in the Hornets system. They went 1-11 when he was missing. Plumlees isn't a million miles away in terms of skillset but I'd be shocked if the Hornets don't regret this trade

Yogi Ferrell gets 2 years with the Mavs after an unbelievable few games plus he has a great name so you have to like him.

Farmar allegedly the best at the Cavs trial but no move from them yet. Supposedly they are waiting to see if Deron Williams or Jose Calderon is waived before making a move.

There could be some shake ups before the trade deadline. I wonder if the Celtics, Raptors or maybe even the Wizards go for a swing for the fences trade to rival the Cavs. None of them have enough talent to rival them imo. Raptors with DeRozan and Lowry are closest but they're a good to very good player away from beating them. Obviously Melo would be a huge upgrade at PF but he won't move there. Perhaps they could move for Lopez and stagger his minutes with Valancuinis. I don't know but of any of those teams, I think they have the least to lose and the best chance.

brady23 wrote: »
    Yogi Ferrell gets 2 years with the Mavs after an unbelievable few games plus he has a great name so you have to like him.

Farmar allegedly the best at the Cavs trial but no move from them yet. Supposedly they are waiting to see if Deron Williams or Jose Calderon is waived before making a move.

There could be some shake ups before the trade deadline. I wonder if the Celtics, Raptors or maybe even the Wizards go for a swing for the fences trade to rival the Cavs. None of them have enough talent to rival them imo. Raptors with DeRozan and Lowry are closest but they're a good to very good player away from beating them. Obviously Melo would be a huge upgrade at PF but he won't move there. Perhaps they could move for Lopez and stagger his minutes with Valancuinis. I don't know but of any of those teams, I think they have the least to lose and the best chance.

And the nets cut him poor guys are going wrong at every turn

Don't think there will be swing for the fences moves because even if you get past the cavs I can't see anyone beating the warriors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

nerd69 wrote: »
    Don't think there will be swing for the fences moves because even if you get past the cavs I can't see anyone beating the warriors

I dont think the Raptors and Celtics would look at it that way to be honest. A conference championship would be a huge step for either franchise. I dont think either team would have a chance mind you but OKC should have beaten the Warriors last year and they would have been given little hope. And who knows the Spurs might do the East a favour and knock the Warriors out in the conference finals.

For what its worth I think the Cavs will win the East pretty easily in the end, I dont think any Feburary signing is going to change that.

I was just looking at the Clippers game and Blake got a Triple Double etc but outside of an improvement in his passing and shooting where improvements are expected to a degree, he really hasn't developed into the player he should have.

At one point he looked like a future MVP candidate but he's arguably the Clippers 3rd most important player now.
    I think he has a skill set that's often overvalued too

The Clippers should listen to some offers for him this summer.

Lebron provides another career highlight draining an impossible 3 with .3 seconds left to bring it to overtime against the Wizards. Washington looking the 2nd best in the East right now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

I was just looking at the Clippers game and Blake got a Triple Double etc but outside of an improvement in his passing and shooting where improvements are expected to a degree, he really hasn't developed into the player he should have.

At one point he looked like a future MVP candidate but he's arguably the Clippers 3rd most important player now.
    I think he has a skill set that's often overvalued too

The Clippers should listen to some offers for him this summer.

Can't think of a trade they would go for though doc does not really do young assets

D2D wrote: »

He missed a go ahead layup just before that to make it even more special! I cant stand the guy but it was a super performance.

• Advertisement

Like how??
    In other communities this is known as a "LeFvckYou, I'm LeBron James" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,313 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Watching the King work really is a privilege. Suck it up while you can!!

Jabari gone again with a tear to the same ACL, 12 month recovery at least, tearing the same ACL with no contact is a bad sign.
    The Bucks like the T-Wolves with LaVine are in an awkward spot because both players are due rookie extensions in a year so it's a question of "do we pay them the max or let them walk when we're not sure"

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Watching the King work really is a privilege. Suck it up while you can!!

BRICK!

Can't wait to hear everyone say he meant to bank it.......:rolleyes:

BRICK!

Can't wait to hear everyone say he meant to bank it.......:rolleyes:

I dont think any rational person is saying that? Its a highlight play that took skill to pull off but it took a lot of luck of course. Its another career highlight for James regardless considering it came at the end of the game of the year so far and one of the best regular season games in a good while. It was a masterful display from LeBron miracle 3 aside.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Fab Melo was found dead in his home in Brazil overnight. Sad loss - I liked him when he was in Syracuse - pity he didn't work out for the Celtics.

Nuggets with a an odd trade. Nurkic and 1st round pick this year for Plumlee. If Plumlee doesn't work out, you could easily see the Nuggets slip into the top 10 in the lottery, I think the Blazers got a bargin mid range pick and a 22 yo not long removed from being a top rookie

Nuggets with a an odd trade. Nurkic and 1st round pick this year for Plumlee. If Plumlee doesn't work out, you could easily see the Nuggets slip into the top 10 in the lottery, I think the Blazers got a bargin mid range pick and a 22 yo not long removed from being a top rookie

You could see the logic in a straight swap but the Nuggs gave up too much with a 1st too.

Expect them to go big and play The Joker at PF.

Faried will likely be on the trade block now.

OKC fans are so damn petty.

They deserved to get blown out for the constant booing.

• Advertisement

I don't blame them in the slightest.

There's a way to measure accomplishments with at least some objectivity given the circumstances. Objectively speaking, Kevin Durant will have had one of the easiest roads to the Finals of any star in history....actually probably the easiest. Best player or not, he's on a team that already has a ring and 73 wins without him. Objectively speaking, there have been quite a few stars who have had more impressive roads.

A ring is a ring, but there's a reason that there are sports writers, books, message boards, etc. People like to talk about this stuff. Biases obviously creep in at times, but there are also a certain set of objective facts that can't be argued.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement