Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2016-17

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    OKC fans are so damn petty.

They deserved to get blown out for the constant booing.

He left to join the team who beat them in the conference finals last year,I think most fans would be fairly pissed off with that. I really don't see anything wrong with fans in any sport booing former players and certainly not in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Even if he wins this year I think the title will always have an asterix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

The Westbrook hate is just jaw dropping. He's been diagnosed as a "lunatic" and "insane". All because he plays with passion and trashing Westbrook is the only way to put pro-Durant spin on this, as well as the 5th Avenue spin that this really isn't as bad for the league as some think. Obviously the Durant move is objectively awful for the league because the only way to spin it positively is to throw a bunch of BS at Westbrook.

The Thunder didn't do squat in 2013 when 0 went down in the playoffs. Westbrook plays hard every night and while he certainly won't be playing in the NBA Finals this year, what he is currently doing is a million times more impressive than whatever Durant will accomplish with GS.

At least with Lebron you can say that there's no way in hell that Miami would have won a title without him. Not the case with GS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

NufcNavan wrote: »
    The Westbrook hate is just jaw dropping. He's been diagnosed as a "lunatic" and "insane". All because he plays with passion and trashing Westbrook is the only way to put pro-Durant spin on this, as well as the 5th Avenue spin that this really isn't as bad for the league as some think. Obviously the Durant move is objectively awful for the league because the only way to spin it positively is to throw a bunch of BS at Westbrook.

The Thunder didn't do squat in 2013 when 0 went down in the playoffs. Westbrook plays hard every night and while he certainly won't be playing in the NBA Finals this year, what he is currently doing is a million times more impressive than whatever Durant will accomplish with GS.

I personally love Westbrook, he's a one off and I would tune in to watch him play every game if I could. At the same time I can see why some people might not like him as much.

On the court(which should be 95% of the reason you like/dislike a player) he makes a lot of reckless decisions with the ball, most notably in the past he has done this at important times in big games. Most apologisers will say this was due to Durant not stepping up but I dont buy that as an excuse. That kind of thing sticks with people more than a lot of the great plays he makes every night. His off the ball defense wouldnt win him any awards either.

Off the court(unfortunatly this is what is most important to a lot of people) He can come across badly in interviews and dresses like a tool.

I don't think he's nearly as unpopular as you are making him out to be by the way. I wouldnt consider muck like Espn "debate" shows to be a barometer of how must actual NBA fans feel towards him.

Gregk961 wrote: »
    I personally love Westbrook, he's a one off and I would tune in to watch him play every game if I could. At the same time I can see why some people might not like him as much.

On the court(which should be 95% of the reason you like/dislike a player) he makes a lot of reckless decisions with the ball, most notably in the past he has done this at important times in big games. Most apologisers will say this was due to Durant not stepping up but I dont buy that as an excuse. That kind of thing sticks with people more than a lot of the great plays he makes every night. His off the ball defense wouldnt win him any awards either.

Off the court(unfortunatly this is what is most important to a lot of people) He can come across badly in interviews and dresses like a tool.

I don't think he's nearly as unpopular as you are making him out to be by the way. I wouldnt consider muck like Espn "debate" shows to be a barometer of how must actual NBA fans feel towards him.
    You to take a look at OKC's record with and without him getting triple doubles if anyone thinks it's about just getting numbers.

This is from 29th Jan but OKC had a .679 winning% when he gets them. OKC is 2-1 since then in the games that Russ has gotten a triple double. OKC's overall winning% is 56.3%.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/tripledoubletracker/follow-russell-westbrook-triple-double-chase

So instead of "Russ just cares about numbers", it's more like "Russ has to get numbers in order to win."

And then people argue about how Oscar Robertson was more interested in his numbers. I mean, he only lead his team to 43-37 record in 61-62. People talk about how great of a season it was and how remarkable it is. Never once in my entire life heard anyone talk about how selfish it was.

Russ is doing absolutely everything he can to make that team competitive. He walks a fine line between being the ultimate aggressor and being wild/out of control.

If OKC gets some additional help, he will need to dial it back just a bit. For whatever reason it was thus style of play that caused KD to flee. But Russ has no choice but to play this way with the roster he has.

Now not all superstars are as delicate as KD. But If they can get Russ anything close to another star, it'll be important for Russ to keep his previous situation with KD in mind.

Russ has played beyond amazing this year. Even if you don't fully agree with his style of play, you've got to respect it. The kid plays HARD.

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote: »

If OKC gets some additional help, he will need to dial it back just a bit. For whatever reason it was thus style of play that caused KD to flee. But Russ has no choice but to play this way with the roster he has.
    Ultimately I think this is the biggest problem. If you surround Westbrook with better talent the end result will not be a whole lot different. He either continues his individual style of play that, while incredible, will probably never be efficient enough to win a title or the alternative is he changes his style of play to cater to those around him, becomes a lesser player and is just as unlikely to win a title.

I believe Westbrook is one of the top 5 players in the league at any position, however if I was to build a championship winning team from scratch there are at least 20 guys I'd pick ahead of him. If that makes any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

Jokic is looking like one of the biggest steals in years, genuinely rivalling Towns and Porzingis as best young big man in the league.
    My biggest concern is his defensive abilities in terms of anchoring a defense, he's currently a plus defender but he's a far better passer than both of them.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&hint=Kristaps+Porzingis&player_id1_select=Kristaps+Porzingis&y1=2017&player_id1=porzikr01&hint=Karl-Anthony+Towns&player_id2_select=Karl-Anthony+Towns&y2=2017&player_id2=townska01&hint=Nikola+Jokic&player_id3_select=Nikola+Jokic&y3=2017&player_id3=jokicni01

I didn't include Embiid but he's obviously in the conversation too. Biggest thing about Jokic though is he's the best player on a western playoff team who only got into the conversation when he became a starter

brady23 wrote: »
    Jokic is looking like one of the biggest steals in years, genuinely rivalling Towns and Porzingis as best young big man in the league.
    My biggest concern is his defensive abilities in terms of anchoring a defense, he's currently a plus defender but he's a far better passer than both of them.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&hint=Kristaps+Porzingis&player_id1_select=Kristaps+Porzingis&y1=2017&player_id1=porzikr01&hint=Karl-Anthony+Towns&player_id2_select=Karl-Anthony+Towns&y2=2017&player_id2=townska01&hint=Nikola+Jokic&player_id3_select=Nikola+Jokic&y3=2017&player_id3=jokicni01

I didn't include Embiid but he's obviously in the conversation too. Biggest thing about Jokic though is he's the best player on a western playoff team who only got into the conversation when he became a starter

Myles Turner is in the conversation too.

Give it 5 years and this will be a big boy's league again. Very exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I just want Embiid to stay healthy.

And Ben Simmons to be good.

Basically I kinda want the Sixers to win a championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

This whole Knicks-Dolan-Oakley fiasco is weird.

ks6vHhI.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Was at the GSW game v Denver last night. Strange game. Really wanted to see the full GS roster in full swing but Klay was out :(

Jokic was very impressive though. Looked very good in the Olympics, but that's my first time seeing him in the flesh. He could prob do with putting on a few pounds, but he has some skill set in fairness.

Raptors adds Ibaka for Ross and a pick. Toronto could make the leap now. Ibaka hasn't been as good in recent years but no major injuries and still in his 20s. Perhaps it's a matter of finding the right situation. Love gone for two months too, the East could be very interesting now.

In hindsight, maybe Cleveland should have traded Love when they had the chance. They're in some serious trouble if they can't find another capable body. What a shame. They were the only team that could even compete with GS.

As for the Pacers, there's not an obvious move to be made that would place them into contender status. They don't have much to trade outside of a mid first round pick.

If a team is really wanting to get rid of someone it may help, but the Pacers are at least a year away from being a true contender. May as well take a lump this year, play in the first round and come back next year looking to make some noise.

Raptors adds Ibaka for Ross and a pick. Toronto could make the leap now. Ibaka hasn't been as good in recent years but no major injuries and still in his 20s. Perhaps it's a matter of finding the right situation. Love gone for two months too, the East could be very interesting now.

I don't think Ibaka can save Toronto at the moment....so, so painful to watch since the turn of the year and looking like another horrible one in Chicago tonight.

Such a weird feeling around the team at the moment, just feel like Kyle and Demar are getting more and more disconnected from the rest of the team.

Need something else along with Ibaka I think

Wiggins putting on some show against the Cavs should be a great 4th Quarter.

I don't think Ibaka can save Toronto at the moment....so, so painful to watch since the turn of the year and looking like another horrible one in Chicago tonight.

Such a weird feeling around the team at the moment, just feel like Kyle and Demar are getting more and more disconnected from the rest of the team.

Need something else along with Ibaka I think

I don't see much else available unless they pick up some sort of vet. Even on paper their starting 5 should be able to mix it with anyone now.

I do think Ibaka has regressed since his OKC days when he was often group with KD and Russ as a "Big 3".

He was a perennial DPOY candidate and can spread the floor. I think a change a scenery could make a difference.

OKC was toxic for a while and so has Orlando, not saying he's not dropped off but a competing team could rejuvenate him and good compliment to Valancuinis.

I've decided I like the field vs the Cavs in the East now. I think Boston has the most talented individual player and best system but I think in order to beat the Cavs, you need a couple of game winners.

Completely subjective but I like the Wizards and Raptors to be the ones to compete with them. Atlanta are obviously good but I think their bigs might struggle with an increase pace in the playoffs and Schroder isn't much of a defender and he's going to have to take on Wall/Beal, Isiah/Bradley and/or Lowry/Rozan

I don't see much else available unless they pick up some sort of vet. Even on paper their starting 5 should be able to mix it with anyone now.

I do think Ibaka has regressed since his OKC days when he was often group with KD and Russ as a "Big 3".

He was a perennial DPOY candidate and can spread the floor. I think a change a scenery could make a difference.

OKC was toxic for a while and so has Orlando, not saying he's not dropped off but a competing team could rejuvenate him and good compliment to Valancuinis.

I've decided I like the field vs the Cavs in the East now. I think Boston has the most talented individual player and best system but I think in order to beat the Cavs, you need a couple of game winners.

Completely subjective but I like the Wizards and Raptors to be the ones to compete with them. Atlanta are obviously good but I think their bigs might struggle with an increase pace in the playoffs and Schroder isn't much of a defender and he's going to have to take on Wall/Beal, Isiah/Bradley and/or Lowry/Rozan

Yeah, the 'who' is the question! I am just happy there is significant time left in the season so sort out whatever is going on.

An awful lot of people blame Casey and want him out, that being said I know a few people who wanted Casey out even in the midst of getting them to the ECF last year and their record win seasons of recent years

• Registered Users Posts: 36,313 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The Cavs have won seven of their last eight. JR is still to come back too. Whatever about GS, I just don't see them losing in the East

My picks for the skills were

J.Wall Skills,

E.Gordon 3 point

Derrick Jones Jr Dunk.

I was really disappointed with the dunk contest, I thought Gordon would come out and really try to put on a show after last year where his performance would have won almost any other year and arguably should have last year.
    Lots of videos of Westbrook and Durant floating around, I'm sure it won't any way dramatic but who knows.

I'll go for I.Thomas for All Star MVP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Dissapointing All Star saturday tbh, also for Curry not being able to hit the half court shot ;)

• Advertisement

Looking forward to watching the All Star game tomorrow morning, so fed up of the Westbrook Durant talk though it seems to be getting more attention than it deserves.

Had a bet on Isiah top point scorer tonight, 12-1 looks big for a young guy looking to impress.

Gregk961 wrote: »
    Had a bet on Isiah top point scorer tonight, 12-1 looks big for a young guy looking to impress.

Isiah ain't young

nerd69 wrote: »
    Isiah ain't young

I know he isnt a teenager but his NBA career is only really getting going the last 2 years. He's going to be hungry for game time and wont be shy pulling up for 3s.

Cousins to the Pelicans for Hield, Evans, Galloway, 1st and 2nd round pick.

I think the Pelicans done extremely well given what they had to give up. Far and away the best front court in the league now, if they can coexist and get some shooters who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,313 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Cousins to the Pelicans for Hield, Evans, Galloway, 1st and 2nd round pick.

I think the Pelicans done extremely well given what they had to give up. Far and away the best front court in the league now, if they can coexist and get some shooters who knows.

Can they get him to resign?

Would love them to snag the 8 seed now and give GS a tough six games in round one.

Wow thats some trade. The 2 best at their positions in the league, scary that both of them could put up 40+ in the same game. Really looking forward to watching the Pelicans!

Jesus that trade is awful for the kings I'm
    surprised the celtics where not in for him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Jesus , credit to Celtics and Brad Stevens. Even in the last year of The Truth and The Big Ticket, things looked like doom - getting walloped by a Knicks team was just to put them out of their misery (In fairness, that was a decent Knicks team)

He had a two great seasons, despite the GM being cautious with picks. Even in his first season there were games where I was going, damn, we threw that away. He has done excellent with what he has been given to him. Thomas has been great of course, but many of the players who came to Boston and have now gone elsewhere can say that they were worthwhile

Do well to reach the semis or finals in the ECF but things are looking up for Boston.

• Advertisement

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Jesus , credit to Celtics and Brad Stevens. Even in the last year of The Truth and The Big Ticket, things looked like doom - getting walloped by a Knicks team was just to put them out of their misery (In fairness, that was a decent Knicks team)

He had a two great seasons, despite the GM being cautious with picks. Even in his first season there were games where I was going, damn, we threw that away. He has done excellent with what he has been given to him. Thomas has been great of course, but many of the players who came to Boston and have now gone elsewhere can say that they were worthwhile

Do well to reach the semis or finals in the ECF but things are looking up for Boston.

I know pop should win coty every year but given that he does not its crazy that Stephens has not won yet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement