Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2016-17

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

nerd69 wrote: »
    Jesus that trade is awful for the kings I'm
    surprised the celtics where not in for him
    On the face of it you are right, pelicans have scooped a legit franchise player without giving up too much but I really believe only time will tell for Sacramento. They kind of had their hands tied with Cousins, I think they needed a clean slate, hard for the fans but it was proving very difficult to plan around Cousins.
    They do get a promising Hield in return, Evans is a solid player whom I think contract is out after the season anyway plus a potential lottery pick. Obviously losing a franchise player is tough and they may have been able to make a better trade but Cousins has a lot of baggage, I think there may of been a big sigh of relief in that organization yesterday.

As a Warriors fan, the 8th seed has become a lot scarier right now. It's has made the playoffs potentially a lot more interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

On the face of it you are right, pelicans have scooped a legit franchise player without giving up too much but I really believe only time will tell for Sacramento. They kind of had their hands tied with Cousins, I think they needed a clean slate, hard for the fans but it was proving very difficult to plan around Cousins.
    They do get a promising Hield in return, Evans is a solid player whom I think contract is out after the season anyway plus a potential lottery pick. Obviously losing a franchise player is tough and they may have been able to make a better trade but Cousins has a lot of baggage, I think there may of been a big sigh of relief in that organization yesterday.

As a Warriors fan, the 8th seed has become a lot scarier right now. It's has made the playoffs potentially a lot more interesting

I agree with everything you said but I find it shocking that they couldn't get more than this for him those picks likley won't even be on the lottery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

They should snag 8th, based on BPI a full season with that roster would get 50-52 wins so provided it's harmonious from the start they should get there.
    It's time for Denver to make some moves now and get some picks.

Regarding resigning Cousins would have got over 209m with the Kings, now he's due 5 years 180m but if he leaves the Pelicans he'll get 130m for 4 years elsewhere they're all the maxes.

Similar position Howard was in with the Lakers so depends on how much he values the money because reports have said that no more who traded for him he wouldn't resign hence why the Lakers wouldn't give up Ingram

[quote=nerd69
    I agree with everything you said but I find it shocking that they couldn't get more than this for him those picks likley won't even be on the lottery[/quote]

I agree, plus Hield will more than likely turn out to be more hype than substance at the end of the day.

I agree, plus Hield will more than likely turn out to be more hype than substance at the end of the day.

Is he even hype at this point

• Advertisement

nerd69 wrote: »

Is he even hype at this point

Kings owner certainly seems to have stock in him, I've seen him play but I can't remember him to be honest.
    One thing is for sure, he won't even come close to matching Cousins skill set

• Registered Users Posts: 39,876 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Magic Johnson is the new VP of basketball operations for the lakers.

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Kobe and every player he played with get your cv ready

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Hopefully they move Lou Williams now and bottom out. Magic appears quite intelligent, well liked obviously and business acumen to succeed but I really hope they don't throw a ton of picks and Ingram etc at the Bulls for Butler to make his mark

Happy that happened, decent return, would have been a great get if Corey Brewer had a shorter contract.
    Drummond, George and Butler all potential trades.

I'd like to see the 76ers make a play at George or Butler obviously not giving up Simmons or Embiid but a package around a 5 pick, Noel/Okafor and maybe a future 1st or 2nd rounder etc

The Lakers have a 46% chance of holding on to their pick so if the 76ers can still snag that if it falls outside the top 3, they'll have George, Embiid, Simmons, and I guess Smith, Malik or Jackson, that's a great core moving forward with salary cap space to pick up a few in the off season, well able to make a decent push, provided they're healthy next season.

Im obviously not confident it would happen but the fans deserve it

• Advertisement

Woj
    Sources: Toronto is sending Jared Sullinger and two future second-round picks to Phoenix for PJ Tucker.

Excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Larry Bird's total lack of manners or communication within the Pacers franchise strikes again. PG left completely out of the loop of any potential trade deals.

How about just a single call? "Hey I have to listen to offers but we really value keeping you here and it would have to be something really over the top for us to consider it. I'll call you when all this is over."

It's not THAT hard. Other GMs have this type of relationship with players and still run great franchises.

We're talking about a guy who:

- Fired Frank Vogel over the phone, then publicly told the press Vogel basically begged to keep his job
    - Didn't communicate with George Hill until a quick phone call after the trade
    - Talked unproductive/unnecessary smack about Roy Hibbert at a press conference after trading him

It's not really that hard to have just a slightly better sense of tact and rapport with personnel.

Reminds me a lot of Pat Riley but without the GM/coach championship pedigree.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Boogie and AD put up big numbers last night but were way behind the Rockets. Big concern for Pelicans now is lack of guards obviously, something they'll have to address quickly.

Lucky enough to be at the Air Canada Centre last night for Raps - Celtics...wow!

Never heard the place louder after that Ibaka block earlier on. To beat Boston without Lowry was great.

Lost a lot of respect for Isaiah Thomas after his little gun gesture at Carroll.

Looked a much more balanced team with Ibaka and Tucker in there, very excited for the rest of the season now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Those hand slap routines that LeBron and the boys do are embarrassing. I can feel myself blushing when I see them at it.

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Those hand slap routines that LeBron and the boys do are embarrassing. I can feel myself blushing when I see them at it.

Cam Payne and Westbrooks pre game routines are the most cringeworthy things I've ever seen

Gwynplaine wrote: »

Cam Payne and Westbrooks pre game routines are the most cringeworthy things I've ever seen

Anyone following McGee and Shaqs feud and twitter battle?
    If anyone didn't see, TNT did a special shaqtin a fool with McGee and Dr strange love. McGee had enough and called Shaq out and it kind of all escalated from there.

From a biased opinion I think Shaq and TNT are totally wrong. Iam all for a joke but Shaq has been picking on McGee for years now, it was funny but at this stage the joke is old and not very original anymore.
    McGee has been playing really well and works really hard, to be consistently called out on national tv and ridiculed can take its toll on the player itself and their reputation. It's not like McGee has ever said "Iam the man" he just wants to find a place in the NBA.

Kerr gave a very good interview about it and how he himself had some pre conceived views of McGee because of Shaq. Behind Pop, Kerr is brilliant to listen to, just an A1 guy.
    Durant also gave a very good interview sticking up for McGee, basically saying how Shaq was great but wasn't perfect himself, couldn't hit free throws, shoot from outside etc, no one has it all.

Obviously it's not that serious an issue but in my opinion the joke is very old and it's just bullying at this stage. And it's obviously TNT producers making these videos with Shaq just going along with it trying to be funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Anyone following McGee and Shaqs feud and twitter battle?
    If anyone didn't see, TNT did a special shaqtin a fool with McGee and Dr strange love. McGee had enough and called Shaq out and it kind of all escalated from there.

From a biased opinion I think Shaq and TNT are totally wrong. Iam all for a joke but Shaq has been picking on McGee for years now, it was funny but at this stage the joke is old and not very original anymore.
    McGee has been playing really well and works really hard, to be consistently called out on national tv and ridiculed can take its toll on the player itself and their reputation. It's not like McGee has ever said "Iam the man" he just wants to find a place in the NBA.

Kerr gave a very good interview about it and how he himself had some pre conceived views of McGee because of Shaq. Behind Pop, Kerr is brilliant to listen to, just an A1 guy.
    Durant also gave a very good interview sticking up for McGee, basically saying how Shaq was great but wasn't perfect himself, couldn't hit free throws, shoot from outside etc, no one has it all.

Obviously it's not that serious an issue but in my opinion the joke is very old and it's just bullying at this stage. And it's obviously TNT producers making these videos with Shaq just going along with it trying to be funny

Ya its beyond a joke at this stage its bullying simple as. It must weigh heavy on McGee and as mentioned by Durant and Kerr it negatively effects peoples opinion of him and therefore the money he earns and opportunities he gets.

This should have been stamped out by TNT years ago and hopefully they will do it now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Yeah I agree, its just plain bullying and harassment at this stage. Javale Magee makes some stupid plays but he's a solid NBA role player and there's a reason he's still in the league despite being an almost constant feature on that segment.

On a similar topic, Bleacher report put up a tweet mocking a play Dirk made (I haven't seen it) - Mark Cuban pretty much immediately emailed some contact he had about it - they promptly deleted the tweet and posted an apology.

• Advertisement

It's nice to see the players and coaches taking such an interest in the issue especially in an era of online bullying, it sets a great example.
    I'm just waiting on Draymond to weigh in now 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 36,313 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Interesting few days.

- Noah out for the season

SHOCK. HORROR. Noah is a terrible contract in a recent history of terrible contracts for the franchise. Just far too expensive for what he's going to be able to provide, and impedes the rebuild that should be happening around Porzingis at the five

- Brandon Jennings waived

Surprised at this in all honesty. Might have been worth considering as an option in the summer. He was decent when on the floor.

- Deron and Bogut likely to sign with Cavs

When JR returns this team is going to have a rotation like:
    Kyrie Irving / Deron Williams
    JR Smith / Kyle Korver
    LeBron
    Kevin Love / Derrick Williams
    Tristan Thompson / Kevin Bogut

It's not a perfect team of course, and still will have a major weakness with transition defense but they've improved themselves for sure.

- Embiid out indefinitely with knee swelling

He ain't ever gonna make it unfortunately from a physical perspective. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36,313 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Just looked at the standings, Cleveland are now just 2.5 games ahead of Boston. They've finished Jan with a losing record - first time LeJob has had one in a month with 10 or more games since 2006. They have some injuries sure but they need to readjust.

9 - 2 for February

I think Bogut could end up being a decent swing factor in the East if he winds up signing there.
    Jennings to the Wizards is decent but Cavs obv won the guard race with Williams.
    I personally like 1 of the other 4 to win the East right now but it's close, if Bogut goes to the Cavs, they win imo but if nothe I like the Raps, Celts, Hawks or Wiz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Westbrook was unreal again tonight. Looked like OKC had thrown the game away until he pretty much won it by himself late in the 4th. Up to 30 TDs now aswell.

Durant picked up an injury in Washington aswell, didnt hear hiw serious it was but he seemed to be pretty badly hurt. Lowry out until April aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Durant goes down in the 2nd minute with a hyper-extended knee against the Wizards and leaves the game a short time later. Going for an MRI in the morning. Didn't look too bad at the time but you never can tell with a knee.

Haven't posted in a while as I've been travelling and in the states for the last 2.5 weeks. Got to 2 Denver games (GSW and Memphis) and had a chance to go to a Knicks game in NY but I was genuinely too tired to appreciate it so I stayed in the hotel.

Still shocked at the Boogie trade and how little he went for. If you're any of the other teams who would have rolled the dice with him you'd have to think they have regrets after the fact considering how little he went for. There's a very good Ringer NBA Show on it where they bring back Bill Simmons to discuss it. I'm glad they did as I don't really like the regular host (I can't even remember his name despite listening fairly regularly). Simmons used to be the biggest Boogie fan out there but ever since Boogie blocked him on twitter he's changed a lot on him (they did a great interview a few years back that's on youtube and they look like they're really connecting at the time so curious as to what if anything happened).

Also shocked no-one commented on GS going for 50 in a quarter v the Clippers last week. That's such a rare thing anymore.

Durant out for 4 weeks at least, grade 2 mcl sprain and tibial bone bruise.
    Warriors sign Matt Barnes, he is old but not a bad pick up all the same, love/hate relationship with him, he is a kind of player you want on your teams at times, had some success here in the past, was a frustrating player then but has improved since then.
    Jose Calderon must be sick right now, so close to be getting signed by a championship contender.
    Durant injury has made things more interesting.
    Cavs will be extremely hard to beat, adding Williams and bogut, that's pretty impressive to be fair

If Westbrook doesn't win MVP it will a travesty, his numbers are just off the charts, for a PG too, incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

brady23 wrote: »
    It's nice to see the players and coaches taking such an interest in the issue especially in an era of online bullying, it sets a great example.
    I'm just waiting on Draymond to weigh in now 🀔

If McGee had a problem, he should have gone to Shaq directly. Not a tweet, not his mom, not the commissioner.

As soon as he pulled the race card, he lost any credibility that he had. And he honestly didn't have much to begin with.

If he didn't want to be dissected, perhaps he shouldn't have committed so many boneheaded plays.

But to say that Shaq was bullying him is absolute nonsense. There are plenty of frequents that are on shaqtin-a-fool

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If Westbrook doesn't win MVP it will a travesty, his numbers are just off the charts, for a PG too, incredible

Westbrook is good, but James Harden & Kawhi Leonard are better IMO

And their teams are going to end up with better records.

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote: »
    If McGee had a problem, he should have gone to Shaq directly. Not a tweet, not his mom, not the commissioner.

As soon as he pulled the race card, he lost any credibility that he had. And he honestly didn't have much to begin with.

If he didn't want to be dissected, perhaps he shouldn't have committed so many boneheaded plays.

But to say that Shaq was bullying him is absolute nonsense. There are plenty of frequents that are on shaqtin-a-fool

I would disagree, easier said than done to go to Shaq directly, when somebody consistently humiliates you on national tv you are going to react. I am pretty sure he didnt ask his mom to intervene, the warriors organisation went to the commisioner.

To say he shouldnt make so many bonehead plays is a pretty bonehead comment, you honestly think a player wants to make mistakes ?

I absolutely hate when people pick on others, especially when those people have such a big platform, its not like McGee ever acted like he was some great player or behaved in some outlandish manner.

Ive watched nearly every Warriors game this year and he has been pretty good, very professional and hardworking.
    Why would somebody affiliate themselves with a parody that mocks a player for no reason, I understand Shaq always tries to be funny to try and stay relevant and its part of the gig but it wasnt even funny, just stupid and lazy.

Shaq has made a bit of a fool of himself to be honest, the fake threats on twitter and such, Durant was spot on in saying Shaq himself wasnt perfect, he had a few airballs from the free throw line, a lot of awkward falls and stumbles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement