Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2016-17

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,313 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Dump the preseason or shorten it. Start a few weeks earlier. But I completely agree that key injuries to major stars are becoming more commonplace - the fact that it's happening on ever reduced average minutes is more of an argument for changes, not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

brady23 wrote: »

Like I've said repeatedly on here - stats don't always tell the full story.........

Can't read that now but will in the coming days, thanks for posting it, looks interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Dump the preseason or shorten it. Start a few weeks earlier. But I completely agree that key injuries to major stars are becoming more commonplace - the fact that it's happening on ever reduced average minutes is more of an argument for changes, not less.

Yeah I agree, that's a pointless schedule of games especially if the D-League exists.
    It's a minimal change but ive read some stuff last year about reducing Round 1 of the playoffs to 5 games too which I'm not sure will happen.
    The Spurs, Cavs, Warriors essentially play a shorter schedule because they rest players so frequently, I think more and more teams who are actually competing for a championship/playoffs will do this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

The only criteria that seems to count in the past has been team record (rightly or wrongly) which probably rules out Westbrook no suprise there really.

Its looking like Harden right now. Have a bet on Leonard which isnt completely dead yet but think hes 4th in the running at the moment unless he has an eye popping last quarter of the season.

Gregk961 wrote: »

The only criteria that seems to count in the past has been team record (rightly or wrongly) which probably rules out Westbrook no suprise there really.

Its looking like Harden right now. Have a bet on  Leonard which isnt completely dead yet but think hes 4th in the running at the moment unless he has an eye popping last quarter of the season.
    If you make the assumption Westbrook can't/won't win based on record(again not sure but looks more like that) then Kawhi could be as high as 2nd in some peoples minds. 

I probably agree LBJ has a slight edge thus far but I wouldn't think its totally dead. 

Spurs clinch the West, Rockets drop to fourth and it's all because of Kawhi then given his defensive workload coupled with his offensive production then it's plausible but again improbable, he's a fav of those who actually get a vote because of the type of game he has but I do think it's looking more and more like Harden :D.

• Advertisement

If there was ever an indication of the criteria of MVP, as I said it has and will continue to evolve but still...

*image won't add for me

If there was ever an indication of the criteria of MVP, as I said it has and will continue to evolve but still...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRjM2YUF_4c/

*image won't add for me

Its a flawed way of voting but at least there is a consistency in it. Westbrooks season will be remembered by most basketball fans but probably not as an MVP winning one.

The article you posted earlier did make the valid point that lifting a bad team to be slightly above average is probably easier done than lifting a good team to great.

Random comment:
    Always liked those green Chicago jerseys (they broke them out the other night). The Knicks used to do that too but haven't in a few years IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Guys - can you get NBA pass here without using a vpn?

(Sorry if that's been asked 1000000 times)

gimmick wrote: »
    Guys - can you get NBA pass here without using a vpn?

(Sorry if that's been asked 1000000 times)

Yeah you can but it's worth going VPN Canada, paying for it through that because it's the cheapest available

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

How big a price difference? And I assume games are live and HD?

Canada: $112.99
    UK: $239.99
    Sweden: $239.99
    Hong Kong: $209.99
    India: $109.99
    Brazil: $129.99
    Turkey: $129.99

Prices from Reddit in US dollars 5 months ago

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18948153/doc rivers-says-nba-needs-address-back-back-scheduling

More calls relating to the schedule this time by Rivers, if enough pressure is applied there might be a change but the buck stops with the owners really.

LeBron, Kyrie and Love rested AGAIN last night. Somebody else made the point that if LeBron was told he's not playing against the Lakers there is no way he sits.

Gregk961 wrote: »
    LeBron, Kyrie and Love rested AGAIN last night. Somebody else made the point that if LeBron was told he's not playing against the Lakers there is no way he sits.

I agree I think that's true, most definitely if it's in LA.
    I think reducing the schedule would cause the issue to arise where say a team like the Bucks or Jazz who could lose out on Nationally televised games against the likes of LA or Knicks, probably a far higher relative loss in revenue to some smaller teams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

What is the evidence that it increases the odds of winning a title? Jordan played virtually every game when he was winning titles. Kobe played virtually every game when he was winning titles. The Warriors went full throttle in the years they made back to back Finals, winning a title in one of them. Seems to me that there are a ton of modern examples where going full throttle from start to finish kept a great team in constant rhythm and led to a ring.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I think its clear that teams like the Cavs are doing this on the prime time game as a message to the league - obviously it would make more sense if they sat those guys vs the Lakers but they wouldn't get the leagues attention in the same way.

I dont even think its "sending a message" to be honest. Lue figures he needs to keep his superstars fresh to repeat and Lebron and co think they are playing harder than any generation of players before them and they need and deserve this rest. Its not even proven to be of any benifit and these teams are throwing away games in favour of rest??

I would prefer the Cavs win it over Golden State but that swings more and more with every fanbase they disrespect by rolling out their bench on the road.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    What is the evidence that it increases the odds of winning a title? Jordan played virtually every game when he was winning titles. Kobe played virtually every game when he was winning titles. The Warriors went full throttle in the years they made back to back Finals, winning a title in one of them. Seems to me that there are a ton of modern examples where going full throttle from start to finish kept a great team in constant rhythm and led to a ring.

Not strictly true in the GS example. Only San Antonio's starters played less minutes than GS in their championship year. Rest is a key component in their style and philiosophy. But there's a difference in managing minutes and not playing at all I guess!

Oh how I remember the days of guys playing 40+ mins every night!

Boston blow the chance to go level with the Cavs by losing to Philly. Way to go guys! :(

Home court if they had it would have been nice.

• Advertisement

I thought there was a very small chance a few weeks ago but I think there is a very realistic chance Saric might win ROY, it will be a tad tainted but he's averaging almost 20 and 7 his past 10 games, if he can keep up that pace till the end, maybe Embiid's 31 games won't be enough

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

This video is painful.

OKC v GSW starting on TNT in a few minutes should be worth staying up for hopefully. Should be a closer matchup than the last with no Durant and OKC have found a bit of life lately and are pushing for a higher seed.

Have a funny feeling Westbrook will be in full overdrive though which usually means bad shots and turnovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,313 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Had a good lol about the Warriors whining about the lack of a reception from the Thunder for Durant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 alexhardy

Look Okc vs GSW,so ez for warriors.Expected to see more from Rusty,all the same fundamentally to won KD'team
    Guys,what do u think about MVP?Harden or Rusty?i wish Rus,cuz he rly have bad team and did some stats like Oscar in 1961.

Kawhi Leonard is my MVP vote, guy does everything on both ends of the floor.

alexhardy wrote: »
    Look Okc vs GSW,so ez for warriors.Expected to see more from Rusty,all the same fundamentally to won KD'team
    Guys,what do u think about MVP?Harden or Rusty?i wish Rus,cuz he rly have bad team and did some stats like Oscar in 1961.

Terrible game I didnt even watch the 2nd half which is rare enough for me but it was done and dusted by halftime.

I think its Hardens to be honest. His team is better but in fairness he is by far their best player and his numbers have been crazy all year. Leonard, Westbrook, Thomas and Curry will all pick up votes aswell for people who arnt sold on Harden. I think LeBron comes away with little to no votes despite his good season.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

This video is painful.

Some good points there but equally some stretches. You'd have to think with some good coaching and instruction a lot of those biomechanical "errors" (shall we say) can be sorted. The soccer and volleyball comparisons are strange though, not sure of the point of those?

Some good points there but equally some stretches. You'd have to think with some good coaching and instruction a lot of those biomechanical "errors" (shall we say) can be sorted. The soccer and volleyball comparisons are strange though, not sure of the point of those?

He presumably played a lot of football in Cameroon, and originally was trying to become a volleyball player; only switched to basketball at age 15.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    He presumably played a lot of football in Cameroon, and originally was trying to become a volleyball player; only switched to basketball at age 15.

Yeah, but....and I've studied this (my primary degree was in Sports Science and my Thesis was on Lower Leg Injuries in Basketball Players).....strong lower legs (and I'm specifically referencing shin/ankles here) help to prevent injuries (logical really if you think about it) and playing multiple sports (like soccer and volleyball) will increase the overall strength of those legs by putting the leg through degrees of motion and into positions one-sport-only players don't get into and actually help prevent injuries rather than expose you to a higher risk of injury. He could just be unlucky of course.

Sixers however seem to have struck gold with Saric. If (and it's a big if) they can keep all of their players injury free next year....they'll have a very exciting young team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement