Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2016-17

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

The GSW roster is fundamentally flawed. No basket protector and no tough rebounder. Draymond green is as versatile as they come but without Bogut he's just another 6'7" guy under the rim.

It's an easy fix, but they need one more big man and one less guy that needs the ball in his hands. They gotta acquire someone to balance things out. They can't stop anyone right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

Zaza Pachuila is arguably one of the most underpaid players in the league the past 2 years. He was underpaid in Dallas and GSW compared to other contracts like Mozgov for example and is an above average rim protector.
    Obviously a downgrade from Bogut but Zaza/Durant still has better defensive win share than Barnes/Bogut so a straight swap in terms of minutes shouldn't be hurting the Warriors long term.
    Growing pains would be expected but they should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Chicago now 3-3. Wade with 4pts in the game. Chicago had 15 points in the first quarter.....

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/17952070/follow-lebron-journey-top-10-nba-scoring-list

Cool feature of the Top 100 and projections for LeBron, I'm thinking he passes Kobe provided he stays as injury free and maybe retires in 4 years.

Some crazy trends already from the top teams in the West;

Spurs trash the GSW, Clippers get beat easily off the Thunder who get hammered by the GWS, Clippers hammer the Spurs.

I think of those teams the Thunder were the flase flag.

Great win for the Lakers against the GSW, its been clear since the Spurs game they have trouble inside and Randel went town as well.

Have to feel for Philly, so close to beating the Cavs, had a shot to win it and didn't even get one up.
    Embiid had a great game, hitting a few 3s as well.
    They just need to get a decent guard and they're sorted with him and Okafar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

porzingis on fire for the knicks up against the jazz

Some crazy trends already from the top teams in the West;

Spurs trash the GSW, Clippers get beat easily off the Thunder who get hammered by the GWS, Clippers hammer the Spurs.

I think of those teams the Thunder were the flase flag.

Great win for the Lakers against the GSW, its been clear since the Spurs game they have trouble inside and Randel went town as well.

Have to feel for Philly, so close to beating the Cavs, had a shot to win it and didn't even get one up.
    Embiid had a great game, hitting a few 3s as well.
    They just need to get a decent guard and they're sorted with him and Okafar.

Embiid 4/4 from 3 point range. I think provided he stays injury free and even plays the 20 minutes he'll walk ROY. Brett Brown said arranging Okafor and Embiids minutes is like solving a rubix cube. One of the Noel/Embiid/Okafor has to move. I probably move Okafor

Dirk out indefinitely with achilles problem.

CJ McCollum ties career high 37 in win over Memphis. He's started the season really well. TBH, I was surprised 37 was his career high.

brady23 wrote: »
    Embiid 4/4 from 3 point range. I think provided he stays injury free and even plays the 20 minutes he'll walk ROY. Brett Brown said arranging Okafor and Embiids minutes is like solving a rubix cube. One of the Noel/Embiid/Okafor has to move. I probably move Okafor

I picked Embiid as ROY (seriously!) based on limited college footage. I honestly didn't expect him to be as good as he has been though.

The problem with trying to move Okafor is no one has seen much of him play. He needs much bigger minutes and to be productive in those minutes otherwise you're getting pennies on the pound in any trade. Noel has much more trade value right now (assuming Embiid is off the table at the mo).

Marc Cuban going to war again - this time revoking press credentials for 2 ESPN writers. That's pretty much unheard of and he'll likely be in trouble for this.

Lance Stephenson released from the Pelicans after 5 games. He'll struggle to find a team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Mallory Gigantic Frisbee

I picked Embiid as ROY (seriously!) based on limited college footage. I honestly didn't expect him to be as good as he has been though.

The problem with trying to move Okafor is no one has seen much of him play. He needs much bigger minutes and to be productive in those minutes otherwise you're getting pennies on the pound in any trade. Noel has much more trade value right now (assuming Embiid is off the table at the mo).

Neither has value tbh Noel is very very limited offensively and okafor has shown no ability to play defensive and his offensive game does not suit the kodern game both guys are young but they are very much projects and for Noel in particular (who I believe has publicly stated he wants out of Philly) with his short contract its going to be hard to get value back

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

25 years ago today magic Johnson announced his retirement from the NBA.

Neither has value tbh Noel is very very limited offensively and okafor has shown no ability to play defensive and his offensive game does not suit the kodern game both guys are young but they are very much projects and for Noel in particular (who I believe has publicly stated he wants out of Philly) with his short contract its going to be hard to get value back

I like moving Okafor. I think his game like you said is old school and can't really shoot free throws. Perhaps their value lies in the unknown from other teams perspectives.
    I was trying to think of teams for them.

Orlando 3 team deal for Vucenic allowing Okafor to play alongside some defensive players who will keep him hidden. Don't know the other team but makes sense.

TWolves for a Rubio/Pekovic combo to eat salary and get Okafor in a rotation with KAT and Dieng who can also hide him.

Pelicans for similar defensive reasons alongside Asik and AD. Not sure what they'd send. Maybe Hield if he doesn't work out.

Just some ideas. Okafor can be AL Jefferson if he gets in the right system and stays fit. I think Noel could find a role on almost any team and will suit Philly more long term

I disagree - Noel has value. He's limited offensively sure but there's always a role for shot blockers and rebounders in the NBA. His steals numbers aren't too bad either. Someone (not 100% sure but prob. The Ringer NBA Show) did a podcast on him during the summer and they reckoned he's going to command a max and that someone will give it to him - partly because the NBA has gone crazy on that front but partly due to the case they made for him. I think I know what you mean re. his value declines the closer to the trade deadline we get etc.......was that it?

But he has value. There are teams that could use a guy with his skillset in the league. Apparently Toronto and the Pelicans are "very interested". The Pelicans is strange considering they have Asik too and you can't see them running with 3 bigs but you never know in the NBA of today.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    25 years ago today magic Johnson announced his retirement from the NBA.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeet. Now I feel old. I remember where I was and what I was doing the day I heard he was HIV+. Was a Kennedy moment for a lot of people (this was pre-internet remember!)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Sheeeeeeeeeeeet. Now I feel old. I remember where I was and what I was doing the day I heard he was HIV+. Was a Kennedy moment for a lot of people (this was pre-internet remember!)

I was six at the time so I have less memories then you butters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Mallory Gigantic Frisbee

I disagree - Noel has value. He's limited offensively sure but there's always a role for shot blockers and rebounders in the NBA. His steals numbers aren't too bad either. Someone (not 100% sure but prob. The Ringer NBA Show) did a podcast on him during the summer and they reckoned he's going to command a max and that someone will give it to him - partly because the NBA has gone crazy on that front but partly due to the case they made for him. I think I know what you mean re. his value declines the closer to the trade deadline we get etc.......was that it?

But he has value. There are teams that could use a guy with his skillset in the league. Apparently Toronto and the Pelicans are "very interested". The Pelicans is strange considering they have Asik too and you can't see them running with 3 bigs but you never know in the NBA of today.

I agree that someone could give him a max or close to it the trouble is that this late into his contract that lowers his value significantly

Betstars still has Harden at 14s, Betway at 12s. That is 100% value. I still think Kwahi is the frontrunner but would far prefer 14s on Harden than 6s on Kawhi. I think Durant at 12s is value too

Steph just went 13-17 from 3pt range. That is absolutely ridiculous. Ray Allen was great and all. Probably a tad underrated but anyone who thinks there is a legit argument for best 3pt shooter ever is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Steph just went 13-17 from 3pt range. That is absolutely ridiculous. Ray Allen was great and all. Probably a tad underrated but anyone who thinks there is a legit argument for best 3pt shooter ever is crazy.

Haven't seen anyone arguing against Curry as greatest jump shooter of all time tbh. How could they

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Haven't seen anyone arguing against Curry as greatest jump shooter of all time tbh. How could they

I heard an argument the other day on espn I think, can't remember who said it but they had Steph 3rd. Allen and Korver supposedly better. There are people who think that the longevity of Allen still deems him better than Steph.

With Steph it's not just the %; it's the degree of difficulty, it's the distance he shoots from, and the off the dribble shots he takes often with defenders in his face. If he was JUST a pure spot up wide open shooter hitting the % he hits that alone would be incredible, to do what he does is insane.

I heard an argument the other day on espn I think, can't remember who said it but they had Steph 3rd. Allen and Korver supposedly better. There are people who think that the longevity of Allen still deems him better than Steph.

Not a chance. Curry is way ahead of Korver who's more the wide open spot up shooter type. Allen had more diversity but nothing like Curry's repertoire off either dribble hand and getting free for a shot and creating space from pivot foot and pulling up. I can't believe any serious basketball journalist would have anyone ahead of Curry's body of work.

Bill Simmons TV Show was cancelled btw for anyone interested in that kind of thing. I enjoyed it, but I could see how it was doomed to failure as it was too niche and had a bit of an awkward feel about it at times. As good as Simmons is and for all his talents he just doesn't have the presence for tv.

http://grantland.com/features/kyle-korver-nba-atlanta-hawks/

This feature was done based around Korvers gravity around his All Star selection. I haven't reread but i liked the concept at the time. It's not a stat that has gained momentum but was a cool novelty.

Basically gives a figure to each players gravity factor ie Steph is close to highest while Rondo would be far lower etc.

BTW I obviously think Steph is far away the best, no contest, I personally think whoever said it was possibility being a tad nostalgic given Allen's official announcement and trying to be controversial with Korver. I doubt the response is the same in a year.
    I am a Korver fan but factoring in difficulty, usage rate etc he isn't in my top 3

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Root13

Is Nowitzki still playing? I admire this guy

Root13 wrote: »
    Is Nowitzki still playing? I admire this guy

He's being rested at the mo (technically injured).

Bill Simmons TV Show was cancelled btw for anyone interested in that kind of thing. I enjoyed it, but I could see how it was doomed to failure as it was too niche and had a bit of an awkward feel about it at times. As good as Simmons is and for all his talents he just doesn't have the presence for tv.

I'm a big fan of the podcast and wasn't watching it so it's probably better for me as he definitely cut the podcast content down when it started.

He probably needed a second host, similar to The Grantland Basketball Hour with Jalen and to only have one guest at a time.
    In the snippets I saw he had two together.

Interesting find on si.com re. Curry's 3 point prominence:

Finally, here’s a better look at just how thoroughly Curry has dominated the NBA’s record books when it comes to high-volume three-point outbursts. Curry has hit…
    • 13 threes in a game one time (No one else has)
    • 12+ threes in a game twice (Next highest: 1)
    • 11+ threes in a game 4 times (Next highest: 1)
    • 10+ threes in a game 7 times (Next highest: 3)
    • 9+ threes in a game 12 times (Next highest: 5)
    • 8+ threes in a game 27 times (Next highest: 14)
    • 7+ threes in a game 45 times (Next highest: 28)
    • 6+ threes in a game 79 times (Next highest: 53)
    • 5+ threes in a game 132 times (Next highest: 122)

• Advertisement

Another set of stats:

Over the 157 consecutive games he made at least one 3 in, he averaged 4+ 3's per game in that stretch AND shot 45% from3 over that time. That's insane; hard to see that being beaten for a long time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement