Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2016-17

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

I think I'm going to have a bet on Blake at 33s for MVP I think hes been unbelievable so far. If he finishes somewhere in the 25ppg 6assists and 9rebounds with the Clippers having the best record he's got everything chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

brady23 wrote: »
    I think I'm going to have a bet on Blake at 33s for MVP I think hes been unbelievable so far. If he finishes somewhere in the 25ppg 6assists and 9rebounds with the Clippers having the best record he's got everything chance

Don't think he will but that's a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Tough win for the Knicks over Portland last night brings them back to .500 at 7 - 7. They've seven games before facing Cleveland and then a five game road trip. If they're viable for the playoffs I figure we'll know before Christmas. They look way better when Noah is out imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Kevin Love just dropped 34 points in the first quarter!

GSW scores 149 points in regulation, that is just unfair. On a positive note Ingram got the start and was pretty good, got 16 points efficiently.

• Advertisement

More dodgy refereeing last night...

Raptors up 113-102, 0.2 secs left on the clock...the refs added time to the clock for Lowry to take a couple of free throws which he made to make it 115-102, the total score 217? The over under for the game was 216.5

The players were walking of the court, most of the refs had already started walking. NBA is broken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

I'm a bit drunk so accept `any incoherence that may follow.

As long as referiing is in the hands of humans it's going to be occasionally wrong/biased. Like last weekend in the UCD-Killester game with the whole issue of shot clock/travelling violations. It was cringeworthy but since it was an Irish league game nobody really cared anyway. In the NBA it's susceptible to a lot more media/fan attention. Those kind of issues arise every season, and once the hype over it ends, nobody cares any more. It's jusr written into the sport.

On another note, I'm loving the season so far, especvially watching the Knicks and Bulls, but the former need to establish their hierarchy as Noah and Rose are nothing but supportive players anymore who cannot accept it, and thelatter need to establish an actual decent functioning offense considering their quite capable players..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

More dodgy refereeing last night...

Raptors up 113-102, 0.2 secs left on the clock...the refs added time to the clock for Lowry to take a couple of free throws which he made to make it 115-102, the total score 217? The over under for the game was 216.5

The players were walking of the court, most of the refs had already started walking. NBA is broken

You sound like a true Torontonian, Every ref is against them in NBA and MLB!

TimRiggins wrote: »
    You sound like a true Torontonian, Every ref is against them in NBA and MLB!

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Good road trip for the Bulls, going 4-2, to move to 10-6 overall. Few days off now before hosting the Lakers on Wednesday and the big one against the Cavs on Friday night.

There actually seems to be a nice chemistry and bond building with the roster and things are going much better than I anticipated they would. Not sure how long it will last, but long may it continue.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

Luke Walton has done a great job in LA so far. The fact hes made Lakers competitive nearly deserves coach of the year on its own :eek:

Pacers are starting to improve. Held the Clips to 70. A franchise low since CP3 went there.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Pacers are starting to improve. Held the Clips to 70. A franchise low since CP3 went there.

Just finished watching it there... well I watched the first half and most of the third quarter, have to head to bed and it was a lost cause so skipped through the last quarter.

Absolute garbage from the Clippers, they had 13 turnovers by the start of the second quarter.
    Not sure what they finished on but it was above 20 by the 3rd quarter.

Added to that they only passed the 50 point mark nearing the end of the 3rd quarter.
    And that's a grim fact playing a Pacers team who were less than 500 and missing their star player.

Although it's early days you can forget about them catching the GSW unless they have some crazy injury trouble.
    Can't be dropping back to back games to teams like Detroit and Indiana if you want the No.1 seed.

If they don't pick things up quickly then 3rd place becomes a worry but as of now they don't look likely to hang onto the Spurs coat tails.

I'm saying it for years but I'd just trade Crawford, he's just a street baller.
    Offers nothing to a contender as he never takes good, open shots... sure he makes bad shots but they're always bad.
    Kind of reminds me of a lad that plays in our social game, he might be making them but they're bad shots and not what you want in a contending team.

Speights is offering a good scoring threat from the C but they're still ridiculously short of a solid rebounder outside of Jordan and I'd move Crawford for that.
    Sadly that's been the story of the Rivers era, one above average rebounder/rim protector.
    They'd be completely fudged if Jordan ever got injured.

Trade Crawford for what and to whom? He was resigned for 3 / 42 in July unfortunately. At 36, and demonstrating declining efficiency on reduced usage I'm just not sure what you're going to get out of moving him on.

Wow...Clippers lose...again.

Three running to the heavyweights of Detroit, Indiana and Brooklyn.

All the early work is completely eradicated.
    Getting sucked into that 4th spot tussle now.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Trade Crawford for what and to whom? He was resigned for 3 / 42 in July unfortunately. At 36, and demonstrating declining efficiency on reduced usage I'm just not sure what you're going to get out of moving him on.

Id take little more than a 7 foot rebounder. I dont expect them to get a piece. A mere rebounder would suffice.

They're far too light..again.. in that regard. If Jordan drops they're in serious trouble as Blake and Speights aren't great rim protectors.

Melo's ability to get shots like this off is mesmerising at times. Squared up, no space, good contest, bang nonetheless.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/11/30/sam-hinkie-after-the-process-philadelphia-76ers/?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Interesting article on Hinkie. I was as big a critic of the zeal with which he enacted "the process" as anyone, but I think the idea of him bringing that type of dispassionate logic to a team with real pieces to begin with is fascinating.

Lakers 10/10. Randle looking dominant

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/11/30/sam-hinkie-after-the-process-philadelphia-76ers/?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Interesting article on Hinkie. I was as big a critic of the zeal with which he enacted "the process" as anyone, but I think the idea of him bringing that type of dispassionate logic to a team with real pieces to begin with is fascinating.

I was probably somewhat the opposite, thinking at the time, wow that's quite clever and being for the experiment.
    I agree that taking some a methodical approach to something that is innately so passionate is quite unusual and in many respects counter intuitive to what everyone learns about sport and loves about sport but I definitely applaud the organisation as a whole for trying something so radical.
    Professional sports is evolving everyday whether it be stats, sports science, tactics etc, Hinkie seen an opportunity to manipulate a system which rewards being bad to further enhance your chance of winning in the long term.
    Obviously I wouldn't remotely advocate it for any other team moving forward but it was great in many ways. I think it will change the NBA rules for the better and could still turn out to be a cautionary tale or a masterstroke.

To clarify, I think a huge amount of his thinking was correct and his thought process that decouples decision making processes from results is the right way to think.

But as we've discussed before, I think they went too far and left the cupboard too bare for too long.

I'd love to see what he'd do with the Kinicks - a club with pieces and cap room to start with.

• Advertisement

To clarify, I think a huge amount of his thinking was correct and his thought process that decouples decision making processes from results is the right way to think.

But as we've discussed before, I think they went too far and left the cupboard too bare for too long.

I'd love to see what he'd do with the Kinicks - a club with pieces and cap room to start with.

Yeah I agree, I was just thinking similar earlier. I think in theory it best suits a small market team and would be best employed by a Utah or Milwaukee but I think the idea of doing it with a larger market team in a similar position to the Knicks would be interesting.

My only issue with the Philly project was and still is the potential long term effects on the fan base.
    Obviously if Embiid and Simmons go on to become great NBA players and they win an NBA championship because of moves that are a result of the strategy then all is forgiven but if not, I would be worried that they have potentially alienated a significant amount of fans. Perhaps I'm naive to how quick Americans will regain faith though.

I was probably somewhat the opposite, thinking at the time, wow that's quite clever and being for the experiment.
    I agree that taking some a methodical approach to something that is innately so passionate is quite unusual and in many respects counter intuitive to what everyone learns about sport and loves about sport but I definitely applaud the organisation as a whole for trying something so radical.
    Professional sports is evolving everyday whether it be stats, sports science, tactics etc, Hinkie seen an opportunity to manipulate a system which rewards being bad to further enhance your chance of winning in the long term.
    Obviously I wouldn't remotely advocate it for any other team moving forward but it was great in many ways. I think it will change the NBA rules for the better and could still turn out to be a cautionary tale or a masterstroke.

I liked his way of thinking. It could have been brilliant. I would have liked to see him get the full five years. Theve been unlucky a few times, they could have Parker and Russell , Simmons and Embiid.
    Sometimes you gotta think outta the box

Yeah I agree, I was just thinking similar earlier. I think in theory it best suits a small market team and would be best employed by a Utah or Milwaukee but I think the idea of doing it with a larger market team in a similar position to the Knicks would be interesting.

My only issue with the Philly project was and still is the potential long term effects on the fan base.
    Obviously if Embiid and Simmons go on to become great NBA players and they win an NBA championship because of moves that are a result of the strategy then all is forgiven but if not, I would be worried that they have potentially alienated a significant amount of fans. Perhaps I'm naive to how quick Americans will regain faith though.

You can get tickets for 76ers games for a couple of bucks. The last two times I attended there was a real air of defeat around the arena. He needed to supplement his strategies with a couple of 3 / 45 type veteran players. Just to win another 15 games or so each year, while still maintaining the overall thrust of the strategy. 10 - 72 is a clear indication that you've gone too far, even if you're right. Because it's still sports after all.

https://gfycat.com/HeavenlyPlasticDowitcher

It's so pathetic that I can't think of one player who really would lay this guy out over this stuff. Could you just imagine him trying this crap with Anthony Mason, Charles Oakly, Kevin Willis or hell even Charles Barkley. He wouldn't live to see the next day. But in today's league......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Mallory Gigantic Frisbee

It's so pathetic that I can't think of one player who really would lay this guy out over this stuff. Could you just imagine him trying this crap with Anthony Mason, Charles Oakly, Kevin Willis or hell even Charles Barkley. He wouldn't live to see the next day. But in today's league......

meta world peace just retired right? Russell Westbrook would go at him you'd imagine

Draymond Green is scum, bottom line. Would love to see his clocks properly cleaned a few times during the season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

It's right in front of the ref and nothing he'll get away with it without much worry. Yet he'll claim that's how he shoots. He could have broken the Suns players hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Klay goes for 60 in 29mins. Like the time he scored 37 in a quarter I think when he retires he'll regret not playing 40+mins and seeing where he could have pushed that out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

First player to score 60 in under 30 mins in 24 second shot clock era.

"Only" scored 8 3's. When I saw the 60 figure first I assumed he had hit 10-15, makes it more impressive. GS also put up 45 assists. Still for he remains their most impressive stat; despite all the guys they have who can create their own shot as a team their spacing and passing is 2nd to none.

• Advertisement

Williams with the Lakers heating up, first player since Kobe to back to back 38+. Its so much better this season watching the Lakers, we might lose but we dont have the blow outs of last year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement