Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 2016-17

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,312 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Porzingis increasingly looking like the real ****ing deal imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Porzingis increasingly looking like the real ****ing deal imo

That jab step, crossover from the 3 point line and pull up from the elbow is just scary for a guy of his size. His handle is ridiculous, far smoother handle than Dirk. The more I watch the more I think maybe KAT isn't the best from that draft. The numbers say he is but that's down to his rebounding being that much better. I think offensively KP is more talented it's just a question of can he get that much better from a rebounding and defensive IQ standpoint, I think that's one thing Noah will really help with

brady23 wrote: »
    That jab step, crossover from the 3 point line and pull up from the elbow is just scary for a guy of his size. His handle is ridiculous, far smoother handle than Dirk. The more I watch the more I think maybe KAT isn't the best from that draft. The numbers say he is but that's down to his rebounding being that much better. I think offensively KP is more talented it's just a question of can he get that much better from a rebounding and defensive IQ standpoint, I think that's one thing Noah will really help with

Yeah, he doesn't play like a 7'3" guy whatsoever. I'd say he's already a pretty good rim protector. Have no doubt his instincts in that regard will sharpen up with experience.

New seven year CBA agreement reached

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18280618/nba-players-union-reach-tentative-new-labor-agreement

Needs to go to a vote on both sides (players and owners)

Main points seem to be:
    The league's average salary is expected to jump from the $5 million range to nearly $9 million annually, with significant jumps -- approximately 45 percent -- planned for rookie-scale deals, minimum-salary contracts and some free-agent exceptions, including the midlevel exception.

In addition to those planned hikes, sources said teams will have the ability to offer designated veteran star players contract extensions up to five seasons in length (and in some cases six seasons), greatly enhancing the ability of small-market teams to retain their best players. Starting in July, teams such as the Indiana Pacers and Sacramento Kings will be able to offer lucrative long-term extensions to Paul George and DeMarcus Cousins, respectively. These extensions have been modeled after the NBA's Designated Player Rookie Extension rules.

There will be no amnesty clause in the new CBA, sources say. There have been amnesty clauses in the past two CBAs, allowing teams to waive players and have their salaries removed from the salary cap.

The annual split of basketball-related income, known as BRI, will remain at the current 49 percent to 51 percent, sources said. The same holds for the early-entry age for the NBA draft, which will remain at 19, with the stipulation that American players must also be one year removed from high school to be draft eligible.

Maximum roster size, though, will rise from 15 to 17 players, with the extra slots earmarked for players on "two-way contracts," as seen in the NHL. Those contracts stipulate that a player's salary is based on NBA minimums when the player is "up" and an estimated $75,000 when the player is on assignment in the NBA Development League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

RIP Craig Sager. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39,874 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Paully D wrote: »
    RIP Craig Sager. :(
    If you're basketball fans like We are you can't have not come across Craig sager during watching the game.

RIP Craig sager.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Itssoeasy wrote:
    If you're basketball fans like We are you can't have not come across Craig sager during watching the game.

Absolutely, used to especially love the interviews with Pop. RIP.

"During Conley's absence, Memphis has blitzed teams by almost 15 points per 100 possessions with Gasol on the floor"

Their schedule hasn't been incredibly tough but still that is ridiculous given the rest of their line up. Gasol is unbelievable easily the most underrated superstar in the league, he'll never even get in the MVP conversation but he deserves to.

Also Embiid is one of only 2 rookies with an above average PER, KAT did last year but it's not very common with rookies in the modern era plus Philly is outscoring teams with him in the line up, (even more unusual for a rookie).
    Let's hope Simmons can do something similar.
    Hinkie knows all!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Until you see a guy like Lopez in the flesh you really have no idea how big (and wide) he is. Amazing athleticism.

RIP Sager too btw. :(

• Advertisement

Meanwhile the Bulls are now 11-10 against the easiest schedule in the league with Jimmy in godmode and Wade shooting 36% from three on 4 attempts per 36.

The regression is going to be rough, and it's hard to be positive at this point.

https://twitter.com/haralabob/status/809602137273430017

:o

Westbrook 26-11-22 P-R-A ffs, that is just unfair. He was 9/17 from the field too.

I want Harden to be MVP because I like D'Antonis style and obviously because it's worth a decent chunk of money to me but if OKC keep winning it's impossible to make an argument against Westbrook unless maybe the Rockets finish with the best record but even then....

Best hope is OKC is start losing

Also Ingram finally had a bit of a break out game, almost had a triple double, watched some of it and he's super smooth at times just soooo weedy.
    Durant looks like a skinny man, Ingram like a skinny boy, some weight to gain but the IQ looks to be there along with lots of talent.

Westbrook's 20+ pts, 20+ assist triple double was the first of those in 18 years. Guess who did that one?

Gonna pick some semi long shots

EASTERN CHAMPIONS Cavs

WESTERN CHAMPIONS Warriors

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER Anthony Davis

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR Dario Saric

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: : Michael Kidd Gilchrist

MOST IMPROVED PLAYER jEREMY Lin

6TH MAN OF THE YEAR Kenneth Faried

COACH OF THE YEAR Tom Thibodeau

LEAGUE LEADER IN SCORING Russell Westbrook

FIRST COACH FIRED Fred Hoiberg

Comeback Player of the Year Michael Beasley

WORST OVERALL RECORD 76ERS

PLAYER TO SCORE THE MOST POINTS IN A GAME Russell Westbrook

First Trimester Review based on pre season picks.

Happy with the conference picks and not too disappointed with MVP given they've improved a lot.

Embiid shoe in for ROY

Draymond looking like DPOY

Most Improved obviously Giannis at the upper end but Zach LaVine among others could make a valid case

6th man looks like Eric Gordon but Lou Williams/Jordan Clarkson are valid picks

Thibs not doing the trick, I'm gonna say D'Antoni at this point

Russ easily highest scorer

I still like Hoiberg for first fired but Joerger could be if Kings side with players again, big issues with Affalo.

Comeback is Nick Young but Beasley is actually playing well so happy with the pick.

76ers could still be worst but Nets are shocking, Kilpatrick scoring 20+(Who is Kilpatrick)

Some movers on 2nd big board of the year.

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/18325537/chad-ford-nba-draft-2017-big-board-20-ranking-lonzo-ball-markelle-fultz-more

I want Lonzo Ball to continue to shoot such a great percentage but his technique looks insanely awkward, you would laugh at someone in the Superleague if they shot like him.

If people don't have ESPN insider but would like it, they can have access to mine, just drop me a PM for login details

Some movers on 2nd big board of the year.

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/18325537/chad-ford-nba-draft-2017-big-board-20-ranking-lonzo-ball-markelle-fultz-more

I want Lonzo Ball to continue to shoot such a great percentage but his technique looks insanely awkward, you would laugh at someone in the Superleague if they shot like him.

If people don't have ESPN insider but would like it, they can have access to mine, just drop me a PM for login details

I read a piece on Lonzo ball about 2 (maybe even 3) years ago and he's talented alright, just hard to really see how good he actually is. You're right on the shooting technique - looks so wrong, and yet it works. :confused: There's a feature on him on one of the usual sites at the mo (si.com I think - too lazy to look on phone) and it's adding to the unsurety about him - seems some people think he's a taller Steph Curry-lite, and some are just plain confused by what they see. Depending on who you are, he could be worth a punt.

Gritty win for the Cavs. They still have plenty of ways to hurt the Empire.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

An absolute thriller between Cleveland and GSW just finished up.. A pity we can't just fast forward to the finals already - their rivalry is absolutely immense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Got to catch a couple of the games last night. Cavs-Warriors was good. Thank God RJ didn't retire, it's a pleasure to watch vets like him. Also Kyrie coming up clutch when needed.

Bulls it seems are slowly falling apart, and San Antonio are just being themselves. LMA was beautiful to watch last night. Just clean, effective basketball.

And no T for that?

Not when you get fouled, it's very unlikely you'll get a T for that.

Dominant slam though. Cavs really squeezed down the stretch last night.

Firstly, you can get a T even when fouled (by your reaction afterwards).
    Secondly, hoop hanging is supposed to be a T.
    http://videorulebook.nba.com/archive/technical-foul-player-hangs-on-the-rim/
    Read the definition.

It also could have been interpreted as taunting even if you're being extremely lenient with the above interpretation.

What pains me is the lack of consistency in the NBA towards superstars and LBJ in particular.

Fair play to the Cavs though, big win last night and big shot by Kyrie to win it (one of many he hit). I didn't see GS losing it, but they did.

Kyrie had the ball for final two plays, from what I remember the plan this year is to give Kyrie the reigns and take the game winning shots. It obviously makes sense given his handle and range.

It will be interesting once they get to Eastern finals and onwards whether it continues but he looked good yday, Klay didn't do much wrong on the play.

It was pretty great defense from Klay, stayed tight the whole time and contested the shot strongly.

Just caught up on the last few Clipper games today.

Back to back losses to the mighty Dallas and Lakers.

Honestly Doc Rivers is the most over rated coach in the league.

They have the most one dimensional, static and boring offense in the league.

Had a massive two assists late in the 4th against Dallas(for that quarter) in what consisted of multiple possessions of Crawford taking bad shots including one where a number of off ball pickd failed as Crawford dribbled the ball statically before shooting a contested three.

Getting smashed on the boards game after game.

Klay and Curry get more open threes than JJ in one quarter than he has all year.
    They can't get easy baskets inside or outside and the only offensive rebounds come from Jordan tips.

They haven't a punchers chance of challenging GSW or the Spurs(I know they beat them twice), I've never felt they had less of a chance than this year.

I know they're down Blake and Paul but it's the style of play and make up that's the problem and they were no better with both;
    Blakes only making mid range jumpers
    They don't use Jordan..
    Paul can't drive like a Kyrie or Westbrook and has no effective pick and roll options bar a pull up
    Mbah is good at driving but can't shoot as effectively.
    JJ cant drive and with the lack of penetration from others he never gets wide open shots.

So infuriating, Paul doesn't work with Blake and Jordan and JJ would be more effective with a PG who causes defensives to collapse.

Vinny Delnegro was shafted considering how things have gone since, they gave up picks for coach who took them no further whereas Vinny hadn't the full opp' to build the roster... he certainly didn't have them operating with a single effective rebounder and slow, telegraphed offensive plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I just legit don't like watching this group. Would rather watch JOB teams; at least Granger gave a ****.

From si.com on the NBA officiating report:

"King" James hung on the rim and flexed his arms -- a move that the league acknowledged Monday in the officiating report should have seen him handed a technical foul for "deliberately hanging on the rim" after the dunk was completed.

Also state Durant was fouled on the last play btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

From si.com on the NBA officiating report:

"King" James hung on the rim and flexed his arms -- a move that the league acknowledged Monday in the officiating report should have seen him handed a technical foul for "deliberately hanging on the rim" after the dunk was completed.

Also state Durant was fouled on the last play btw.
    RJ getting T'd for his smile and wink was a joke, so they pretty much balanced out.
    Did you see GS subbing in Curry on the last play? Should not be allowed as it was not a timeout.
    Refs miss lots, superstars get away with lots, but it evens out over the course of the season.

• Advertisement

6mI9Umu.jpg

Embiid can defend the paint. Brook Lopez is a much better defender going by the above than I assumed also.

Joakim Noah makes me cry though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement