Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway city schools' colours

Options
  • 22-10-2016 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭

Going past St Mary's College today, I noticed two quite big flags at the entrance gate. Back and Red. Anyone now why Mary's colours are black and red? They are the Down colours? Perhaps there is a religious element to it?

I can't recall a flag for other schools ie Bish, Jes. Mercy etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

bobbyss wrote: »
    Going past St Mary's College today, I noticed two quite big flags at the entrance gate. Back and Red. Anyone now why Mary's colours are black and red? They are the Down colours? Perhaps there is a religious element to it?

I can't recall a flag for other schools ie Bish, Jes. Mercy etc?
    County Down has nothing to do with it. I don't see any religious element to it.
    Simply the school colours
    Jes are Maroon and White. Bish white and Blue/Blue and White

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

School colours are normally tied in with the school uniform too. St Mary's wear Black jumpers with a red tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

School colours are normally tied in with the school uniform too. St Mary's wear Black jumpers with a red tie.

I went to Mary's before they had uniforms there and the colours of the various sports teams was still red and black. If anything the uniforms came from those rather than the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

The bish is blue

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Our Lady's college is bright purple.

Anto Ryan's catalog shows a few uniform crests and colours: http://www.shopschooluniforms.ie/categories/secondary-schools.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Our Lady's college is bright purple.

Anto Ryan's catalog shows a few uniform crests and colours: http://www.shopschooluniforms.ie/categories/secondary-schools.html

Thanks for that but it's not the colours themselves that interest me but rather the choice of colours in the first place. It may be, as suggested above, a fickle decision of someone or other in the distant past. That may very well be the reason. I thought the diocesan schools' colours might be representative of some diocese in the county. Something like that. I just find Mary's colours very strong and unattractive and wondered how in God's name they got those colours.

Thanks for that but it's not the colours themselves that interest me but rather the choice of colours in the first place. It may be, as suggested above, a fickle decision of someone or other in the distant past. That may very well be the reason. I thought the diocesan schools' colours might be representative of some diocese in the county. Something like that. I just find Mary's colours very strong and unattractive and wondered how in God's name they got those colours.
    If interested why not contact the schools? Often with many clubs/schools it was the first available jersey and therefore colours that were used and they were kept on.

If interested why not contact the schools? Often with many clubs/schools it was the first available jersey and therefore colours that were used and they were kept on.

Thanks. No I wouldn't be bothered contacting the schools with such a query. I like trivia myself. But you seem certain that Mary's colours were not because they are the County Down colours. You are probably right. I don't know myself. How are you so certain that they are not?

Thanks. No I wouldn't be bothered contacting the schools with such a query. I like trivia myself. But you seem certain that Mary's colours were not because they are the County Down colours. You are probably right. I don't know myself. How are you so certain that they are not?
    Why not? You seem very interested in this and want to know so why not contact the schools and you will find out the reason.
    Im fairly certain because as I said the colours will be something local like some schools in Galway city will wear maroon and white but otherwise it will be the school wearing first available jerseys/colours...

Why not? I just said I like trivia myself!
    Just to be clear: you seemed very sure that Down had ' nothing to do with it', then you were 'fairly certain'?

You are probably right however. I don't know myself. I had an inkling that there might be a religious element to it. The Jes' colours are a salute to the county colours. Probably. But it wouldn't surprise me if they referenced some aspect of the life of St Ignatius. Again, I am only suggesting that for anybody to discuss.

• Advertisement

Why not? I just said I like trivia myself!
    Just to be clear: you seemed very sure that Down had ' nothing to do with it', then you were 'fairly certain'?

You are probably right however. I don't know myself. I had an inkling that there might be a religious element to it. The Jes' colours are a salute to the county colours. Probably. But it wouldn't surprise me if they referenced some aspect of the life of St Ignatius. Again, I am only suggesting that for anybody to discuss.
    So you like trivia but don't want the answers to the questions you ask and seem to really want to know. :confused:
    Jes have a twitter and facebook page. Contact them there and find out.
    I would really doubt any religious element.

So you like trivia but don't want the answers to the questions you ask and seem to really want to know. :confused:
    Jes have a twitter and facebook page. Contact them there and find out.
    I would really doubt any religious element.

You are being a bit silly now.
    Goodbye to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

<mod snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Ah heyor... Leave it out empacher! There's really no need for that kind of comment!

bobbyss, there has been some good suggestions on thread here that would go a long way to sate your curiosity. I would recommend that you take these into consideration without resorting to calling people silly; and possibly contact the school to get the answer to your question.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement