Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trading in Rifle

Options
  • 22-10-2016 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi All

I'm thinking of changing my .270 for a shotgun as I'm not getting out to use it
    - mores the pity. Question is what type of trade in might I expect against a new or second hand semi auto shotgun. The rifle is a semi custom CZ in excellent condition - I'd value the rifle at around 800ish in a straight sale but I know that a dealer wouldn't offer that.

Any general info or recommended dealers would be appreciated.

P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I have a notion that the .270 isn't that popular a calibre here anymore. You might have a job trading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭steyrman

Hi a lot will depend on the shotgun your interested in the more you spend on it the better trade in value of your .270 but there will be a price for the cz and it will be around 1/2 of what you paid for it no matter what is done to it at the end of the day it's a cz nothing wrong with them but second hand rifles don't hold the value in rfd that's what the tell you until you go to buy one straight

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭photosmart

Thanks for replys.

I'd be thinking of a decent semi auto but I'm also considering moving to a .223 as I don't have the time for deer hunting anymore but foxing is still doable.

Maybe I'd get a better trade in on a new .223?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

gunny123 wrote: »
    I have a notion that the .270 isn't that popular a calibre here anymore. You might have a job trading it.

270 a great caliber and extremely popular here, very flat and accurate shooter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

270 a great caliber and extremely popular here, very flat and accurate shooter

Yes a great calibre, i had one myself years ago. But several gundealers i know tell me they sell very little ammunition for them anymore and no longer accept the rifles as trade ins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭photosmart

Indeed however I read something very similar about .223's on here recently so perhaps they just aren't shifting many rifles these days. So they may have a lot of second hand stock left over from when many lads who bought rifles during the boom left them in and emigrated?

Bottom line is that because firearms are regulated to the max it means from an economic perspective they are not priced correctly as there is so much hassle involved there is very little liquidity in the market.

I'd probably have changed my rifle three or four times to suit my needs/wants if I lived in the states but here its a different story. If I get rid of the .270 and get a .223 I may want to get back into deer hunting again in a few years and will be kicking myself that I sold my .270 etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Why not put it up for sale here on boards, never know your luck...

Advertisement