Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best weight gainer?

• 22-10-2016 7:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭

Been struggling to keep my "gains" from the gym lately due to work, so im thinking of getting a weight gainer to supplement my diet.. seen as im already eating a **** load,

Whats the best weight gainer to buy ? im thinking about buying ON Serious mass have any of u tried it before is it any good and more importantly is it healthy ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It'd just a boatload of carbs (~250g) and protein (~50g) in every 334g serving to give you 1250 kcals.

You could make your own far cheaper version with oats and whey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

It'd just a boatload of carbs (~250g) and protein (~50g) in every 334g serving to give you 1250 kcals.

Yeah i seen some of those recipes, some good ones too might give em a go at some stage but for now id just rather the convenience of the of the ON one,

343 servings ? :eek: jesus thats like 8 servings out of a 2.7kg tub wtf?

Cupatae wrote: »
    343 servings ? :eek: jesus thats like 8 servings out of a 2.7kg tub wtf?

That's why a bag of oats, even the fine oats, and a bag of whey is a way better option. It's not really any less convenient. You just take x scoops of oats, y scoops of whey and mix.

That's why a bag of oats, even the fine oats, and a bag of whey is a way better option. It's not really any less convenient. You just take x scoops of oats, y scoops of whey and mix.

Yeah jesus, i assumed they d be the same scoops as whey ! more a shovel than a scoop at 343 g a serving :D the bag of oats is looking a more likely option all of sudden ha

• Advertisement

It would want to be a hefty portion to get you 1250 kcals. You don't have to have that much either bit it's still essentially a mix of carbs and protein and there's not much added convenience to mixing scoops of oats with scoops of whey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

334g serving to give you 1250 kcals

lol what

Do you have to mix it in a big cake bowl or something? Surely that's two or three full shakers worth?

Zillah wrote: »
    lol what

Do you have to mix it in a big cake bowl or something? Surely that's two or three full shakers worth?

I know. I saw "1250+ calories" and said that couldn't be right.

If 2 scoops is 334g, the scoops must be hilariously big.

https://www.optimumnutrition.ie/serious-mass-2-c1d0f19c3f827daf0edd3e69c3b195a9

There is a glimpse of it in that video.
    6bsiDfj.jpg

The instructions say "two heaping scoops".

EDIT: I just looked at the ingredients and the vast majority of it is maltodextrin, which has the same GI as glucose. Each serving of this shit is like eating at least a full bag of haribo jellies - probably quite a bit more. I wouldn't touch this stuff; sounds like a great way to get fat without any proper gains. Unless you're working out five+ times a week this is an awful idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

6bsiDfj.jpg

EDIT: I just looked at the ingredients and the vast majority of it is maltodextrin, which has the same GI as glucose. Each serving of this shit is like eating at least a full bag of haribo jellies - probably quite a bit more. I wouldn't touch this stuff; sounds like a great way to get fat without any proper gains. Unless you're working out five+ times a week this is an awful idea.
    Zillah, you seem to know your sh1t about sugar. Would you reccomend taking something like dextrose along with protein after a hard workout to replace glycogen?

• Advertisement

6bsiDfj.jpg

If you need to buy something that gives you 1250 kcals per serving, you need to sort your diet out in a big way.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Zillah, you seem to know your sh1t about sugar. Would you reccomend taking something like dextrose along with protein after a hard workout to replace glycogen?

I use a recovery blend with BCAAs, powdered oats, dextrose, and my day's creatine. Bag of dextrose is cheap as chips from your local (online) protein dispensary. I mix 'em all up in a big tupperware container and put one full scoop of the blend into a small shaker to have after a workout.

As we've discussed before here abouts, nutrient timing is not especially important, but it's a nice and easy way to make sure you're off on your best foot for recovery.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You'd be as well off drinking a glass of maple syrup with a steak as using that supplement. Jesus, it's sugartastic.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I use a recovery blend with BCAAs, powdered oats, dextrose, and my day's creatine. Bag of dextrose is cheap as chips from your local (online) protein dispensary. I mix 'em all up in a big tupperware container and put one full scoop of the blend into a small shaker to have after a workout.

As we've discussed before here abouts, nutrient timing is not especially important, but it's a nice and easy way to make sure you're off on your best foot for recovery.

Ye I'm doing the same only I'm mixing dextrose, whey, beta alanine and creatine.
    I'm on a deficit so not overdoing it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Litre or two of milk, OP. The old GOMAD diet (gallon of milk a day) will see you pack on some size. Cheaper than that gainer and more effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Second on the milk , when I was bulking up I was a hard gainer as well and the milk was a god sent , Don't have to go GOMAD but there's a decent amount of protein in it and you can be clever with it to meet with macros and calorie goals without going way over...
    Milk with a meal and full fat milk with your protein shakes , I actually miss milk while cutting! Only have allowance for it in shakes at the minute..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Third on the milk and shakes. I usually drink 2-3 litres whole milk a day.

My go to "weight-gain" shake is:
    2 x scoops protein powder
    2 x cups whole milk
    2 x tbsp of oats
    1 x banana
    1 x tbsp peanut butter (more natural the better)
    then I might throw in some strawberries/berries and maybe a tiny bit of coconut oil

All in the blender and works out just under or near 1000cals. All ingredients super cheap and convenient.

If you need to buy something that gives you 1250 kcals per serving, you need to sort your diet out in a big way.

My diet was fine, till my workload changed! just burning alot more calories, with alot less time to eat, thats why im looking for a supplement to balance things out, ideally id like to just get it all from diet, but such is life!

My diet was fine, till my workload changed! just burning alot more calories, with alot less time to eat, thats why im looking for a supplement to balance things out, ideally id like to just get it all from diet, but such is life!

Lot easier and cheaper ways though.

Litre of whole milk is something like 640 calories and 40ish grams of protein.

Lot easier and cheaper ways though.

Litre of whole milk is something like 640 calories and 40ish grams of protein.

Im gonna add the shake mentioned above to my diet, and im just gonna have aload of meals preped and ready to go

Anyone know a place that sells these containers? tried dunnes and tescos today and argos no dice.. the shipping time for em on amazon and ebay is 9-14 days...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3-Compartment-Stack-able-Containers-Perfect-Placed/dp/B01DI6N9L4/ref=s9_simh_gw_g201_i1_r?_encoding=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=KPZ3EMHZT111PN39SGRB&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=16f14aeb-bd11-4e9e-8c26-9ca0139074ee&pf_rd_i=desktop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Im gonna add the shake mentioned above to my diet, and im just gonna have aload of meals preped and ready to go

Anyone know a place that sells these containers? tried dunnes and tescos today and argos no dice.. the shipping time for em on amazon and ebay is 9-14 days...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3-Compartment-Stack-able-Containers-Perfect-Placed/dp/B01DI6N9L4/ref=s9_simh_gw_g201_i1_r?_encoding=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=KPZ3EMHZT111PN39SGRB&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=16f14aeb-bd11-4e9e-8c26-9ca0139074ee&pf_rd_i=desktop

Bodyfirst definitely do those containers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

The gainners help,your best just eating alot more food.I found the challenge in that alone as hard as the weights.

drdeadlift wrote: »
    The gainners help,your best just eating alot more food.I found the challenge in that alone as hard as the weights.

Well at least you got your doctorate in the end.

eire1 wrote: »
    Bodyfirst definitely do those containers.

Cheers man, im a fair trek from dublin tho! i ordered em online altogether should be here by thursday ! happy days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Well at least you got your doctorate in the end.

Go drink your bcaa powder and creatine you hulk.

drdeadlift wrote: »
    Go drink your bcaa powder and creatine you hulk.

speaking of bcaa's what do they do and are they worth it? and them amino acids aswell, i keep getting free tubs of em everythim i order whey never bother with em tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Cupatae wrote:
    speaking of bcaa's what do they do and are they worth it? and them amino acids aswell, i keep getting free tubs of em everythim i order whey never bother with em tho.

Possibly if training fasted. But if you get them free sure why not just take them during your workout.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Possibly if training fasted. But if you get them free sure why not just take them during your workout.

both of em? whats the benefit of em ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Cupatae wrote:
    both of em? whats the benefit of em ?

Well BCAAs are branch chain amino acids... So unless you mean EAAs which are essential amino acids I just assumed you meant BCAAs. Basically they're the building blocks of protein so your muscles are still fueled after hours of fasting. And supposeably they keep you in the fasting state though I've heard counter arguments to that recently. Anyway if you eat normally with protein throughout the day you'll have BCAAs floating in your blood stream already which is why most people would consider them useless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement