Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Ship

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Regarding the highlighted bit, imposing and frightening is EXACTLY what you want your flagship to be.

Look at the US Navy... Their carriers just come along and take over whatever space they are in, they ARE imposing and you know that the power they can deliver is frightening.

There's a difference between "To Boldly Go" and "Ever Strong" though. While the Federation very often did end up in conflicts and defensive situations, its primary objective was exploration, especially during the Picard era.

Starfleet could have made their flagships more imposing, but deliberately chose to make them vessels of exploration and peacekeeping— compare with the Klingon vessels, or the Romulans, or even Cardassians. I can't imagine any of them having a flagship which housed families and had an open bar. The Federation could have done the same, but clearly didn't want that to be the impression they made on new cultures.

It's not like it couldn't pack a whallop when it needed to, but they had a different mandate and wanted to make a different impression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

DivingDuck wrote: »
    There's a difference between "To Boldly Go" and "Ever Strong" though. While the Federation very often did end up in conflicts and defensive situations, its primary objective was exploration, especially during the Picard era.

Starfleet could have made their flagships more imposing, but deliberately chose to make them vessels of exploration and peacekeeping— compare with the Klingon vessels, or the Romulans, or even Cardassians. I can't imagine any of them having a flagship which housed families and had an open bar. The Federation could have done the same, but clearly didn't want that to be the impression they made on new cultures.

It's not like it couldn't pack a whallop when it needed to, but they had a different mandate and wanted to make a different impression.

I've no issue with the ships of the fleet being Exploration and Peace Keeping. I've no issue with them doing the whole Speak Softly, and carry a Big Stick thing. I've no issue with the individual flagships in the individual fleets being of the more cuddly than crushy variety.

But i think your overall flagship, should be like Leroy Brown, The baddest man in the whole damned town, Badder than old King Kong, And meaner than a junkyard dog.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

AMKC wrote: »
    The Defiant would be my favorite small ship.

Little?! :pac:

latest?cb=20070615190239

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Purely aesthetically I think the refit Enterprise trumps the original design (which is very much of its time). But having rewatched a lot of the original series recently, the old girl still looks great, especially from certain angles:

http://static.neatorama.com/images/2009-06/uss-enterprise-ncc-1701.jpg

Every Enterprise has something I like though (except the NX-01, which I don't count as one of the Enterprises anyway). Even the stubby little Enterprise-C is a logical, chunkily solid transition between B and C:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/images/7/7e/AmbassadorKlasse.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140115205947&path-prefix=de

It's hard to beat the perfect proportions of the Constitution Class though.

I always loved all the Klingon ships, except, again, for the ones in Enterprise (though the Vulcan ships weren't too bad).

Purely aesthetically I think the refit Enterprise trumps the original design (which is very much of its time). But having rewatched a lot of the original series recently, the old girl still looks great, especially from certain angles:

http://static.neatorama.com/images/2009-06/uss-enterprise-ncc-1701.jpg

Would love to see this rendered with modern technology for a proper comparison, but I can't get over the long corridors attaching the warp nacelles. It's a great looking ship, but those long stems make it look so potentially fragile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Would love to see this rendered with modern technology for a proper comparison, but I can't get over the long corridors attaching the warp nacelles. It's a great looking ship, but those long stems make it look so potentially fragile.

Is that not the remastered NCC-1701?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Nucflash

Always liked the klingon ships. If I had to choose it would be Kronos One.

Is that not the remastered NCC-1701?

Possibly? It still has a very... Vintage look about it, though. I guess what I mean is I'd like to see that design/style created from the ground up without the effort at the period aesthetic. Maybe they're impossible to divorce, though, I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nucflash wrote: »
    Always liked the klingon birds of prey. If I had to choose it would be Kronos One.

Kronos/Qo'noS One was a K't'inga-class though :)

But I agree, the BoP is a fantastic looking ship. Another reason why TSFS is underrated as it was our first glimpse of it:

I loved Enterprise - C ambassador class

• Advertisement

3.3.png

EnterpriseC.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I loved Enterprise - C ambassador class

Yea the -C always seemed like a more natural design successor to the Refit/-A when I first saw it (this would have been before the -B was defined as an Excelsior)

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yea the -C always seemed like a more natural design successor to the Refit/-A when I first saw it (this would have been before the -B was defined as an Excelsior)

And it has a great natural pre-D look to it also.

Crazy though is that, IIRC, the Ambassador model was an adapted Excelsior, shortened and neck changed

dc9a52d95a8c3aa22171a81e0529a7f9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

Crazy though is that, IIRC, the Ambassador model was an adapted Excelsior, shortened and neck changed
    The stardrive section of the Ambassador class looks like it came from a refit Constitution class model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Evade wrote: »
    The stardrive section of the Ambassador class looks like it came from a refit Constitution class model.

it probably did. Looks sexy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭malcy

Was never a huge fan of the Ambassador class but i've been using one on Star Trek Online the past few days and looks superb with a few modifications to the colour of the hull, lights etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Enterprise D. A great combination of design, majesty and (for me) nostalgia. I wish it wasn't destroyed in Generations because it would have made the "blow up the damn ship" argument much more poignant in First Contact.

Bird of Prey is my favourite alien design. Imagine being in deep space and one of those bad boys decloaks in front of you. Really imposing design.

We might be used to it now, but the Borg cube is a stroke of genius by whatever production designer came up with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭Rawr

Enterprise D. A great combination of design, majesty and (for me) nostalgia. I wish it wasn't destroyed in Generations because it would have made the "blow up the damn ship" argument much more poignant in First Contact.

It may have also made for a potentially very different film, with Picard having to grapple with the option of separating the Saucer Section and abandoning the crew in the Star-Drive Section to the Borg. You could have someone key to the plot trapped there while the Borg slowly hunt down and box them in.

The deflector dish fight would have been a lot different too. 1701-D's deflector was this huge oval thing. I kind of imagine much larger fight involving dozens of crew trying to fight off a large troop of Borg advancing across the dish, while the key folk tried to kill the Borg beacon.

However, the deflector dish fight in First Contact was pretty alright as it was, and my ideas there would probably have burst the CGI budget for the film :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Bird of Prey is my favourite alien design. Imagine being in deep space and one of those bad boys decloaks in front of you. Really imposing design.

We might be used to it now, but the Borg cube is a stroke of genius by whatever production designer came up with it.

Only one problem. How would they have gotten back to the Future at the end of the film? Also Generations might have been a lot more boring without the Enterpise D getting destroyed and I like the way First Contact starts.
    The D did not have Quantum torpedo,s so it would never have been able to destroy the Borg Cube as none of the other ships had them either and they along with all the other weapons fired at the Cube at the spot Picard said is the reason it was destroyed.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The D did not have Quantum torpedo,s so it would never have been able to destroy the Borg Cube as none of the other ships had them either
    This has always annoyed me. The torpedoes are the same size, or at least very close, why don't more ships have them? If they're difficult to produce then why stock two or three ships fully with quantum torpedoes instead of spreading them out over the fleet?

EDIT: Even the Lakota, a refit Excelsior class (possibly even the Enterprise B recommissioned) could fire them so it's not a technical limitation.

• Advertisement

Only one problem. How would they have gotten back to the Future at the end of the film? Also Generations might have been a lot more boring without the Enterpise D getting destroyed and I like the way First Contact starts.
    The D did not have Quantum torpedo,s so it would never have been able to destroy the Borg Cube as none of the other ships had them either and they along with all the other weapons fired at the Cube at the spot Picard said is the reason it was destroyed.

NCC-1701 Refit...

NCC-1701 Refit...

Was lucky to get a T6 version of that for Star Trek Online. My favourite ship to fly.

Ms

This has always annoyed me. The torpedoes are the same size, or at least very close, why don't more ships have them? If they're difficult to produce then why stock two or three ships fully with quantum torpedoes instead of spreading them out over the fleet?

EDIT: Even the Lakota, a refit Excelsior class (possibly even the Enterprise B recommissioned) could fire them so it's not a technical limitation.

Well its not the Enterprise B anyway as that ship missing in 2329 presumed lost after the crew had reported that they contacted an unknown infection. The ship is never seen or heard from again. Whether it was on alien race and the ship was captured or it got destroyed no one knows.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Well its not the Enterprise B anyway as that ship missing in 2329 presumed lost after the crew had reported that they contacted an unknown infection. The ship is never seen or heard from again. Whether it was on alien race and the ship was captured or it got destroyed no one knows.
    I don't think that's part of the official canon.

I don't think that's part of the official canon.

Yeah, I didn't think that was canon.

They had a whole book in Captain Harridan trying to redeem himself after loosing Captain Kirk under his command

Ms

Yeah, I didn't think that was canon.

They had a whole book in Captain Harridan trying to redeem himself after loosing Captain Kirk under his command

Its Captain John Harriman not Harridan and yes he was totally out of his dept being in charge of that ship.

Did you read the book and if so is it any good?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Its Captain John Harriman not Harridan and yes he was totally out of his dept being in charge of that ship.

Did you read the book and if so is it any good?

that was auto correct

Didn't read the book.

Advertisement