Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Manchester United 23/10/16 k/o 16.00 SS1

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    ?

What's with the Twitter stuff. Who's that?

Did you look at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

justshane wrote: »
    Except no goal came from Chelsea counter attacking.

He says the 3rd and 4th were counter attack. They absolutely weren't.

Did you look at it?

Yeah, what's the point in posting it though? I'm missing the point probably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I have given Chelsea credit multiple times tbf
    Other have said the same also. You have to wade through all the ****e posts to find the decent ones!

Fair enough but not every post is about you ya know,

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Yeah, what's the point in posting it though? I'm missing the point probably

Cool, wasn't being smart. Informs how to interpret the occasional post here.

• Advertisement

• murpho999 wrote: »
    Fair enough but not every post is about you ya know,

Fair enough

Cool, wasn't being smart. Informs how to interpret the occasional post here.

This will be the last post about me on this thread or this forum (unless instructed otherwise) by me. Those tweets are so long ago, and maybe I've grown. Equally I don't think, given what you've seen today, that any of my posts aren't reasonable. I can back up whatever I say football-wise, if that winds you up then that's personal stuff you must deal with. That's all, I'm now the good Andersonisgod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Not the end of the world getting 1 point away to Liverpool and Chelsea. Worrying thing for United is Pogba, he's really offering nothing at the moment. If they can get him firing they will be alright, I really think they should play Carrick because they are a mess in the middle at least he would calm it down for a few games and give some solidity.

This will be the last post about me on this thread or this forum (unless instructed otherwise) by me. Those tweets are so long ago, and maybe I've grown. Equally I don't think, given what you've seen today, that any of my posts aren't reasonable. I can back up whatever I say football-wise, if that winds you up then that's personal stuff you must deal with. That's all, I'm now the good Andersonisgod.

Your posts are shorter now at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Conte was hair free not so long ago, look at him now .

• Advertisement

jive wrote: »
    Not the end of the world getting 1 point away to Liverpool and Chelsea. Worrying thing for United is Pogba, he's really offering nothing at the moment. If they can get him firing they will be alright, I really think they should play Carrick because they are a mess in the middle at least he would calm it down for a few games and give some solidity.

He's shown what he's capable of but that was in a midfield with more protection behind him, it'd need to start Fellaini or schneiderlin in a defensive role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Handiest 3 points of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He's shown what he's capable of but that was in a midfield with more protection behind him, it'd need to start Fellaini or schneiderlin in a defensive role.

It's more they seem to have all just been told that they are midfielders and nothing else so get in each others way constantly. Pogba, Herrera and Fellaini have all played tactically as either right or left sided attacking CMs in the last few seasons without much difficulty. As it is they are all playing some weird 2 way game where they have seemingly been told not to go forward in certain situations. This has completely blunted the attack and created gaps in midfield that competent 3 man midfields can take advantage of.

If Chelsea can build on that they will be a big threat to win the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Chelsea are starting to show why they had been considered dark horses for the league back in August. Conte will only improve them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wasn't it southhampton 6-2 or something during there grey shirt days

I think that Soton result that Fergie blamed on the grey jerseys was 6-3 iirc
    Not acording to skysports it was 5-0 5 years ago

Did they say who it was 5-0 to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Did city not beat them 6-1 a few years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Chelsea have to be considered contenders alright with nothing else to aim for this year. If they can maintain their recent defensive record they will be there or thereabouts... if. They have enough up top to get the job done.

Kante showing his worth again. Always gives 100%, does the dirty work and controls a game from just inside his own half.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think that Soton result that Fergie blamed on the grey jerseys was 6-3 iirc

Did they say who it was 5-0 to?
    Bridge93 wrote: »

This is what Sky had up:

https://twitter.com/SkySportsStatto/status/790241343675232257

For anyone still struggling (:p), they lost by 5 to City in 2011 and by the same margin in 1996 and 1999 to Newcastle and Chelsea.

I'm not sure why 17 years was mentioned, maybe because it's the highest margin by which united have lost to Chelsea since then?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Bridge93 wrote: »

In OT. The thing being talked about was away defeats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,629 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

MU were lucky it wasn't way more than 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

A bit more detail on that end of match conversation between Conte and Mourinho. From The Guardian:
    The Portuguese had been infuriated by Conte’s attempts to whip up the home support after N’Golo Kanté scored Chelsea’s fourth goal, and confronted his opposite number as they shook hands at the final whistle.

Mourinho, speaking in Italian, appeared to tell Conte he should behave like that “at 1-0, not at 4-0”, and suggested he had actually been seeking to humiliate him in front of his former fans. Conte denied that had been his motivation, explaining post‑match that he had simply been seeking to generate a positive reaction from the crowd after his team’s most impressive performance to date under his stewardship. However, when a member of the United coaching staff ignored Conte’s outstretched hand as they turned to retreat down the tunnel, it provoked a heated argument with a member of the Italian’s own back-room team.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/23/jose-mourinho-rages-manchester-united-incredible-mistakes-chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Duck Soup wrote: »
    A bit more detail on that end of match conversation between Conte and Mourinho. From The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/23/jose-mourinho-rages-manchester-united-incredible-mistakes-chelsea

Jose isnt adverse to a bit of touchline shenigans, I dont think Conte will be too bothered really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I thought it was a little unsavoury to be honest, I mean your fans should already be amped up hammering a rival in these circumstances without your manager jumping around like a mad man with fingers to his ears on the 4th goal.

There was no need for it and I can understand the reaction, made him look a bit like a bad winner.

I thought it was a little unsavoury to be honest, I mean your fans should already be amped up hammering a rival in these circumstances without your manager jumping around like a mad man with fingers to his ears on the 4th goal.

There was no need for it and I can understand the reaction, made him look a bit like a bad winner.

And Mourinho, a model of good behaviour and tact (if you can just forget the eye-gouging, sexism and insults hurled at peers) is clearly the right man to be pontificating about proper touchline etiquette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mourinho just being a hypocrite again.

https://vine.co/v/MYYAPA5lTiI

Jose is just a bad loser.

As Gav alluded to, he has history himself on the sideline. He just needs to suck it up and get over it, and quickly for his and utds sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

MU simply weren't up for it at all today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I thought it was fair enough from Conte tbh. The fans were noticeably quiet after his team put on such a good display. Give the players the reception they deserved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

lol Jose, take your scolding. He's a child.

In any case, it's much more interesting to talk about how badly prepared and uncompetitive Utd were on the day. Jose won't be able to distract from that as much as he'll want to.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Mourinho just being a hypocrite again.

https://vine.co/v/MYYAPA5lTiI

Thanks for posting that cheered me rightup. Great day for jose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Was conte not having a go at his own fans for being out sung despite of the score. It was nothing to do with Jose but he wants to make it about him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Yeah it was nothing to do with Jose. The United fans had been louder for the last 10 minutes, he wanted the fans to show their appreciation to the players for such a good performance. Jose used to do it all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Lukker- wrote: »
    Yeah it was nothing to do with Jose. The United fans had been louder for the last 10 minutes, he wanted the fans to show their appreciation to the players for such a good performance. Jose used to do it all the time.

Is there any confirmation that Jose had a problem with it? Did he mention it after the match? Can't remember if he said it in his interview or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Also Mourinho could have had a word near the dressing rooms away from the camera's. But he obviously wanted to try his usual detract from a poor performance tactic.

Is there any confirmation that Jose had a problem with it? Did he mention it after the match? Can't remember if he said it in his interview or not

Apparently Conté confirmed the reports of what he said were true to Sky Italia in an interview after:

http://www.football-italia.net/93354/conte-hits-back-mourinho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is Jose a blushed flush?

Sounds like a good title for a thread;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I really think Jose is no longer a fan favourite in the UK.

In the past I used to like him, his attitude, his arrogance, his wind-ups.

Now he's just boring.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Couldn't give a fucck what José said to Conte after the match myself and I'd imagine Conte feels more or less the same. 4-0 mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

jaysis the media definitely have the knives out for Jose, "Humiliated" is what several of the papers headlines contain

Muahahaha wrote: »
    jaysis the media definitely have the knives out for Jose, "Humiliated" is what several of the papers headlines contain

He was the media darling in his first spell in England. Now he just comes across as bitter.

After his antics at Madrid, and especially last season as well some poorly aimed comments at Wenger, it's clear he's a troubled man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

NIMAN wrote: »
    I really think Jose is no longer a fan favourite in the UK.

In the past I used to like him, his attitude, his arrogance, his wind-ups.

Now he's just boring.

Think the doctor thing turned a good few and you could see just what he is, even lost some of his media fans. Personally as a Liverpool supporter Utd aren't my least favourite team it's whoever this goon manages. The fact he's ended up there is great as I can focus all my loathing in one place.
    Park the bus, throw people under the bus and then the buses go on strike, people have had enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

what annoys me as a chelsea fan is jose used to do what conte did yesterday , when he was porto manager he ran the length of the OT pitch , against barca twice for chelsea he went nuts , inter milan he did it and at anfield he did it when we won 2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Was the gesture he made after the 4th goal mentioned? You know the Italian one, flicking your hand under your chin meaning fúck off/you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'm not surprised to see Jose put up some sort of antics. Gets the attention away from the team and performance, somewhat.
    This is the guy that celebrated as above and also attempted to walk over and shake Lambert's hand well before the final whistle.
    Media, once more are lapping it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

If Mourinho wants to know about public humiliations, perhaps he should consider his own treatment of Eva Carneiro last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Here's a bit of statistical flotsam to mull over in the wake of yesterday's match. From the Daily Mail:

"Running isn’t everything, but when Jose Mourinho’s staff pick through the wreckage of their 4-0 defeat at Chelsea they might wonder why they don’t have a single player in the Premier League’s top 50 for total distance run this season.

After nine games Antonio Conte’s side have two of the top three, with N’Golo Kante (65.21miles) and Nemanja Matic (64.65m) beaten only by Jordan Henderson of Liverpool (66.16m).

Meanwhile Paul Pogba is United’s highest placed player on 54.9 miles. Even allowing he’s played eight matches rather than all nine, that’s an average of 6.86 miles per game compared with Kante’s 7.35."

Considering how TSO's success with his various teams has been built on every player putting a shift in, those stats are surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Was the gesture he made after the 4th goal mentioned? You know the Italian one, flicking your hand under your chin meaning fúck off/you

I thought he was doing that "keep your heads up" gesture to his own team. There was still 20 mins left at 4-0 - he may have been concerned it was going to get worse.

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Here's a bit of statistical flotsam to mull over in the wake of yesterday's match. From the Daily Mail:

"Running isn’t everything, but when Jose Mourinho’s staff pick through the wreckage of their 4-0 defeat at Chelsea they might wonder why they don’t have a single player in the Premier League’s top 50 for total distance run this season.

After nine games Antonio Conte’s side have two of the top three, with N’Golo Kante (65.21miles) and Nemanja Matic (64.65m) beaten only by Jordan Henderson of Liverpool (66.16m).

Meanwhile Paul Pogba is United’s highest placed player on 54.9 miles. Even allowing he’s played eight matches rather than all nine, that’s an average of 6.86 miles per game compared with Kante’s 7.35."

Considering how TSO's success with his various teams has been built on every player putting a shift in, those stats are surprising.

I think it's symptamatic of how Jose sets up teams. He really focuses on simple things like positioning. Players tend to fear straying from their zones too much for fear of getting caught out. It works well enough when teams come at you but otherwise you can just end up passing the ball around in static positions. No ones making the run because they don't want to end up getting caught out and the ball usually ends up getting pumped into the box due to lack of options.

• Advertisement
Advertisement