Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB Debit card issue

• 22-10-2016 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭

For the last few months when using contactless on my debit card, as opposed to the machine beeping and asking me to insert the card and it will decline the transaction. What I used to have happen would be either,

The card scans and it approves instantly
    The machine will go BEEPBEEPBEEP and say "bank security insert card" or something along those lines. I rang the bank but they blamed the card machine (all of them??????) Anyone else got this issue? I have the PTSB standard current acc and the Explore Account. The latter hasn't got this issue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Maybe the card is damaged? Ask them to replace it and see if the new one works, I'd say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭WhoWhatWhere

Maybe the card is damaged? Ask them to replace it and see if the new one works, I'd say!

I've had 2 new ones! It happened after changing to a Photo card (personalized one), but because the first and second broke so easy I went back to regular and it's the same thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Jaysus... if you use the chip & pin from the start, does it work?

Jaysus... if you use the chip & pin from the start, does it work?

Yup. Chip and Pin works regardless. But after using contactless enough that the bank automatically wants me to use chip and pin it doesn't just say so, it declines and I need to use C&P! It's really weird cos I saw someone using a PTSB card today and there was no waiting on authorization it just approved, that's the point of contactless imo, I can tap & go, if it's not gonna go through it will beep loudly and tell me as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Could it be this... "Also, as a security measure, you can only make a maximum of 3 Contactless transactions in a row or spend up to €45. After that, you’ll have to enter your PIN to carry out another transaction (even if it’s for under €30)."

as per https://www.permanenttsb.ie/help-and-support/help-with-banking/product-support/contactless-support/contactless-visa-debit-card/

• Advertisement

blobbie wrote: »
    Could it be this... "Also, as a security measure, you can only make a maximum of 3 Contactless transactions in a row or spend up to €45. After that, you’ll have to enter your PIN to carry out another transaction (even if it’s for under €30)."
    ]

Yes I know, what I'm saying is, as opposed to just the card machine going BEEPBEEPBEEP and telling me to insert card for bank security, it instead tells me; nothing. It just goes as normal then declines. Which is 1. Embarrassing frankly, and 2 a nuisance instore. I had an AIB acc before and it never did this. If it went all green it was approved if it just beeped rapdily it needed the card inserted.

Advertisement