Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ireland to teach

Options
  • 22-10-2016 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone I am currently teaching in the UK and am hoping to move back home to Ireland in the next few months. I would be grateful if anyone could give me some information on the following:
    1. Why do some advertised jobs have the same 'Application deadline' date and 'Commencement date'. I have also seen many jobs which have only a few days between these 2 dates. Am I right in presuming that these jobs are already taken and it is a legal requirement on behalf of the school to advertise them?
    2. What are the best substitute teacher schemes to sign up to? I have seen different ones on the ASTI and educationposts.ie websites. Is there one particular one which is more popular?
    3. I am a Science/Chemistry teacher and I will be moving to Dublin. What are the chances that I could get regular subbing work?
    Thanks in advance, I appreciate any info given.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

First step would be to get your qualifications assessed by the teaching council to address any shortfalls you may or may not have.

There's a good chance of getting subbing in Dublin, lots of schools. If you have any maths credits in your degree all the better. The teaching council will arrange your Garda vetting too and you'll probably need to show evidence of your uk enhanced clearance.

As a long term sub the best way to get your name out for subbing if getting your cv in to all the schools you can get to on short notice. You'll get at least a few days a week and it gets you known for when jobs pop up. The Asti sub register is free to join so no harm joining ,most of the ETB's have sub panels too so contact them and they'll include you on the list. There is a new sub website you can join for a fee. I don't think it's worth the money. Most secondary schools create their own sub list from cv's they receive.

Yeah you'll regularly see that on ed posts. Not necessarily already gone just that the need to move fast in getting a replacement eg a teacher has had to start maternity earlier than expected or the person who had previously been offered the job may have rejected their offer for one reason or another so the sooner you get your application in the better. Then again as you say they may already have someone but officially needed to advertise it. You never know, just keep on applying anyway.

Hope that helps. Best of luck on the job hunt :)

Advertisement