Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo warranty

Options
  • 22-10-2016 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi All

I bought a lenovo tablet less than a year ago, one day it stopped charging. I bought it in argos, should my first port of call be argos or should I go directly? I don't think I have proof of purchase which may be asked for. Would this stop the claim? Surely it can be traced by imei

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Without proof of purchase, you will get passed from Billy to Jack so expect to get the runaround. Argos don't necessary log each sale by the IMEI number (or serial no.) of the phone or tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Did you pay by card? If so, that will act as proof of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Check your emails. Argos email a receipt to you for more expensive items, provided you give them your address. They ask when you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bitconfused

Great, I have the email. Would it be best to call Instore or contact customer service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Great, I have the email. Would it be best to call Instore or contact customer service?

Usually no problem when you call in store.

• Advertisement

Usually no problem when you call in store.

+1 in the case of Argos it seems that you definitely need to call in person to the store where you bought the item, in your case bring a printout of that e-mail. That's the consensus from several threads here on boards, all of the face to face encounters returning faulty goods get positive reviews here whereas phoning them will get you a UK call centre and the feedback has been less complimentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Can you try a different charger first. You pay about €3 in deals.

Secondly make sure you didn't damage the charging port. You can check this by putting the usb in and checking if there is much play or wiggle room. If so chances are you damaged it and Lenovo might not repair it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Can you try a different charger first. You pay about €3 in deals.

Secondly make sure you didn't damage the charging port. You can check this by putting the usb in and checking if there is much play or wiggle room. If so chances are you damaged it and Lenovo might not repair it

I would argue that a charging port that can be damaged easily thru normal use isn't fit for purpose

Technically speaking no. people yank the chargers out at an angle, try forcing it in upside down.. biggest problem is people using it on the charge and rubbing it against something bending the charger in the socket... all misuse.

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Technically speaking no. people yank the chargers out at an angle, try forcing it in upside down.. biggest problem is people using it on the charge and rubbing it against something bending the charger in the socket... all misuse.

Buying a cheap Chinese charger in a pound shop and plugging that into the device could also be categorised as 'misuse' and that's precisely what you've suggested (in post #8) the OP should do.

Apple put a stop to that carry-on after too many fried batteries and headlines about iPhones exploding while being charged.

• Advertisement

that's true, but its a good quick cheap way of diagnosing if the fault is the charger or tablet without bringing it into an argos shop and them sending it for repair only to be told your charger or usb cable isn't working

OP has to have another microusb charger around the house from an old Android phone or virtually any non-Apple mobile gadget - Samsung/HTC/Motorola etc. I'd try one of those first.

either or

So to update you all, I called into the argos store today. I had been passing previously, too see what I needed, the girl said pop and to bring a charger.
    When I called in earlier the girl said they could not take it because I didn't have the lenovo charger and that lenovo would not honour the warranty without this.
    I've had to send away phones for repair and all o needed was the handset. I presume the warranty is independent of a manufacturers guidelines?

TBH I haven't got the original charger. They werent very helpful and quite dismissive calling the charger a universal charger and that it ruins products. I pointed out that it's not universal and also that they also stock universal chargers.

So what do you think is the warranty void because I have lost the original?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

To be honest, your problem is that item isn't charging. It could be either the tablet or the charger. So I can see why Argos ask for both.

If you've been using non-OEM chargers, then you'll have a hard time, as they can argue that the non-OEM charger could have damaged the tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cheap chargers fail frequently. Its a wear and tear item and clones have very variable lifespans.

If you want it replaced just pick up another OEM charger on Amazon then return to them.

Hi

I should have been a bit clearer about the issue. The tablet will charge , it shows all the signs of charging and when I power it up I can hear the start up tone. The screen remains black but the device remains charging.
    Really in this case can lenovo be sticky about the charger? I can certainly buy one thats no issue but surely they can test it with a lenovo charger at the repair centre?

let it go dead - unplug- hold power button for about 45 seconds - then plug in and charge until 100% - see if the problem persists

Advertisement