Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED Spots vs Surface LEDS

Options
  • 22-10-2016 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We're in the process of designing a new house and are looking into the electrics at the minute.

We've been given a quote for LED spots in a number of rooms. However, from reading online I noticed a few comments about the void for them leaking heat and that a surface LED with a small hole for the cabling being a better option.

Is this correct? Our ceiling is to be insulated, but the upstairs will be an attic for storage presently.

Which is a better solution LED spots or surface LEDs?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

It's correct . But recessed looks better IMO.

Spend some money on enclosed insulated spots. Makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi thanks for confirming that. I didn'th think there would be a huge difference between them given the size of the void.

Are you talking about enclosed insulated LED downlights similar to this:

https://www.downlights.co.uk/downlights/aurora-insulation-covered-downlights.html

If so, I presume they are better than the hoods as they do not have a loid between them and the insulation. I've seen ones that have a metal hood or what looks like a plant pot.

JC94020A.JPG

showimage.ashx?Type=Article&ID=9954

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I am but that's just enclosed. You can get ones that you can bring the insulation all the way around I have them.

Using the correct hole saw is important too as you'll want a fire seal..
    Look at something like this

Look at the aurora range
    You want to get the insulated fittings

https://www.downlights.co.uk/aurora.html

Advertisement