Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis/Hemp Products/Medicinal/Legal

Options
  • 23-10-2016 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Right, I will admit to smoking cannabis on a regular basis and of course people will expect me to be bias when it comes to this topic so let's leave any silly "stoner" related comments alone but surely it's time that we start to think more progressively about this subject in this country. Surely we need to allow the medicinal use of cannabis for a start, I think it's laughable that the governments here have always been so dismissive of this. Secondly, we really need to evaluate the lucrative opportunities that exist by farming hemp in Ireland, I personally feel that this is going to be big business in the future and if you want to make the most of it, now is the time to start putting the wheels in motion. Look at all the economic benefits that could arise. Apart from the obvious medicinal and therapeutic benefits, hemp is an extremely versatile plant and provides great alternatives in many industries such as textiles and even the fuel and energy sector, to mention but a couple. So do you think it should be legalised, and to what extent?

Should we legalise cannabis in Ireland? 912 votes

Yes, legalise it completely.
    0% 4 votes
    Only legalise it for medicinal and industrial use.
    79% 723 votes
    No, but I do think we should decriminalise it.
    16% 154 votes
    Absolutley not, go to mass you filthy hippie.
    3% 31 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I think people should have the right to invest what they want
    The new drug driving testing rules mean I no longer smoke grass as you will test positivie if you are a regular smoker
    Personally I'd love to be allowed take a bit of coke when I need a rush or grass when I'm feeling like a good chill but contraversiLly I'd love to be allowed smoke a bit of H every so often. I've found that the libertines get tetchy when I say u like to smoke the oapiats but I do
    So op what do you think of my right to oap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭WhoWhatWhere

I was thinking about doing my garden up a bit next spring, I currently have stones, I want grass but I'm afraid of it getting too high.

Heh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

My boss has MS and he finds smoking cannabis to be a massive help to him.

Its not a bad drug, certainly no worse than alchohol. I know some people say it is a 'gateway' to stronger drugs but I have yet to meet a violent stoner.

Government should legalise it and reap the rewards of the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

i voted yes for legalise it all,but my main interest is in medical use.
    At the moment I'm using morphine patches ,three different types of pain killers, supplments to eat, and a whole plethora of drugs,every day is like waking up the 80s,in that the smog from that time still exists in my mind,i trip,stumble,drop,fall and 50perecent is down to being foggy from drugs(no science basis for that,but a healthy wallop of wishful thinking)

at the drop of a hat i would use medical oil,from what i read it helps with shakes and appetite etc ,the problem is it can't be got in Ireland legally(or illegally) and no matter how i try to stick with legal medicine i have now reached the stage where its doing me more harm than good,all i want is to use a drug that millions of people across the world swear by,i want that chance to be well no matter what,

The last thing i need is to be facing a Judge trying to tell him how the drug he has handed down stiff sentences should now being treated differently, that mind jump would take a lot of training for everybody,my personal opinion is nobody wants to admit the wrong track we are on and have been.

on a different note,medical in Ireland can see it coming and indeed have secured funding for this http://www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/greenlight-medicines-gets-500-000-to-explore-medicinal-cannabis-1.2798062

i would go as far to say that now is the time for medical clubs to arise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

I voted decriminalise but reading your post Skyfarm, I should have voted for medicinal use.

My main reason for not encouraging it too much is that it's generally smoked and over here, usually mixed with tobacco. And tobacco is something that really needs to be edged out as soon as possible because of its awful effects. Our lungs don't cope well with smoke in general, so I'm loath to encourage any drug that requires burning and smoking it (I grant it can be taken other ways, but I think the most usual is still smoking).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 SeanieMon

I voted decriminalise but reading your post Skyfarm, I should have voted for medicinal use.

My main reason for not encouraging it too much is that it's generally smoked and over here, usually mixed with tobacco. And tobacco is something that really needs to be edged out as soon as possible because of its awful effects. Our lungs don't cope well with smoke in general, so I'm loath to encourage any drug that requires burning and smoking it (I grant it can be taken other ways, but I think the most usual is still smoking).

Yeah, tobacco is an issue alright, and I would sometimes use it myself when smoking cannabis, though not always. Years of smoking ruined my dad's lungs so I'd be very conscious of it. Of course, there are safer ways of ingesting it but I understand your point. Maybe decriminalisation and medical use would be a good start before legalising it completely. Could get very messy very fast, but then again maybe not.

Skyfarm wrote: »
    i voted yes for legalise it all,but my main interest is in medical use.
    At the moment I'm using morphine patches ,three different types of pain killers, supplments to eat, and a whole plethora of drugs,every day is like waking up the 80s,in that the smog from that time still exists in my mind,i trip,stumble,drop,fall and 50perecent is down to being foggy from drugs(no science basis for that,but a healthy wallop of wishful thinking)

at the drop of a hat i would use medical oil,from what i read it helps with shakes and appetite etc ,the problem is it can't be got in Ireland legally(or illegally) and no matter how i try to stick with legal medicine i have now reached the stage where its doing me more harm than good,all i want is to use a drug that millions of people across the world swear by,i want that chance to be well no matter what,

The last thing i need is to be facing a Judge trying to tell him how the drug he has handed down stiff sentences should now being treated differently, that mind jump would take a lot of training for everybody,my personal opinion is nobody wants to admit the wrong track we are on and have been.

on a different note,medical in Ireland can see it coming and indeed have secured funding for this http://www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/greenlight-medicines-gets-500-000-to-explore-medicinal-cannabis-1.2798062

i would go as far to say that now is the time for medical clubs to arise...

Have you ever tried CBD oil, Skyfarm. Completely legal and effective in helping to alleviate certain symptoms associated with many illnesses. I use it myself as I have glaucoma. You'll find some a few Irish companies selling it online and in the odd hemp shop that still exists. The strengths vary in % and it can be pricey but it is effective, and legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Skyfarm wrote: »
    at the drop of a hat i would use medical oil,from what i read it helps with shakes and appetite etc ,the problem is it can't be got in Ireland legally(or illegally)
    I think there are two types of cannabis oil. There's a hemp oil that is made the same way as any other essential oil like rapeseed oil. Basically squeezing the oil out of a large crop.

Then there's cannabis oil which is focused on the matured plant that's over producing THC waiting to seed. That is basically just a super concentrated version of cannabis, it would blow the head clean off even a veteran cannabis user. If a spliff was a pint of guinness cannabis oil would be absinthe. The other thing to bare in mind is they need to use a chemical process to make it. You may not require such a powerful version of the drug, maybe some more research is in order?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'd vote no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

If it was completely legal, people could buy in the food of edibles which you dont smoke. You can buy vaporisers and bongs to use it without tobacco.

People mix it with tobacco as it is not easy to consume it in other ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

I'd vote no.

Good on you. Its a race to the bottom if that filth gets legalised but I have faith it wont ever be legal in Ireland as our politicians and health services are close to the hearts of our local communities and understand the decent common people say no to drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

toptom wrote: »
    Good on you. Its a race to the bottom if that filth gets legalised but I have faith it wont ever be legal in Ireland as our politicians and health services are close to the hearts of our local communities and understand the decent common people say no to drugs.
    Except drink and pain killers. But other than that your post makes no sense, legalised drugs would likely help the health services and politicians will do whatevers popular.

Prohibition makes the problems that arise from drug use worse, it creates another bigger problem in organised crime. That's as plain as the nose on your face, you'd have to be delusional to think prohibition is anything other than a dangerous disaster that gets worse by the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Cannabis oil has always had huge medicinal benefits, guess this is why it was outlawed in favour of regular drugs.
    It has the ability to stop Parkinson tremors and epileptic fits as well as pain relief for cancer sufferers and those with MS.
    Smoking it isn't the best way to ingest it as the tobacco has its downsides though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Years ago I probably would not have taken this subject serious to warrant it any consideration.
    However life has its way of throwing you a curveball and I find myself doing some of my own reseach on Cannabis Oil.
    It looks like research is picking up at a pace.
    Hopefully, sooner rather than later, the powers that be will acknowledge that it needs to be brought to the fore. I am not naive to think that its a miracle cure for all, but some of the research articles I have read look very promising.
    For all the naysayers and those who do not see any benefits to research or legislation, please take a look at some of these articles..

CBD and Cancer

Kelly Hauf beats her Cancer with Cannabis Oil

The National Center for Biotechnology Information (..antitumor effects of cannabinoids in gliomas.)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

I don't smoke it anymore because it started making me too neurotic but it objectively shouldn't be a criminal offence and I'd go so far as to say I'd openly disrespect the opinion of people who believe it should. It's not a social stance that deserves any respect in my mind, since it lacks empathy for other peoples lifestyle choices itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭WhoWhatWhere

I don't smoke it anymore because it started making me too neurotic but it objectively shouldn't be a criminal offence and I'd go so far as to say I'd openly disrespect the opinion of people who believe it should. It's not a social stance that deserves any respect in my mind, since it lacks empathy for other peoples lifestyle choices itself.

Should we be emphatic towards people who steal to fund their drug habit? It's their lifestyle choice after all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jh79

cbyrd wrote: »
    Cannabis oil has always had huge medicinal benefits, guess this is why it was outlawed in favour of regular drugs.
    It has the ability to stop Parkinson tremors and epileptic fits as well as pain relief for cancer sufferers and those with MS.
    Smoking it isn't the best way to ingest it as the tobacco has its downsides though.

Unfortunately proper scientific suggest otherwise.

Cannabinoids have shown very little promise as anti-tumour agents, Cochrane review on pallative therapy for cancer found no real benefits and pain relief needs to be in combination with other drugs oh and the pain relief may be gender specific.

Most likely synthetic derivatives may be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

SeanieMon wrote: »
    Right, I will admit to smoking cannabis on a regular basis and of course people will expect me to be bias when it comes to this topic so let's leave any silly "stoner" related comments alone but surely it's time that we start to think more progressively about this subject in this country. Surely we need to allow the medicinal use of cannabis for a start, I think it's laughable that the governments here have always been so dismissive of this. Secondly, we really need to evaluate the lucrative opportunities that exist by farming hemp in Ireland, I personally feel that this is going to be big business in the future and if you want to make the most of it, now is the time to start putting the wheels in motion. Look at all the economic benefits that could arise. Apart from the obvious medicinal and therapeutic benefits, hemp is an extremely versatile plant and provides great alternatives in many industries such as textiles and even the fuel and energy sector, to mention but a couple. So do you think it should be legalised, and to what extent?

Hemp is already quite widely used in textiles and in construction. Legalising cannabis or not will have no impact on that.
    Do you have any interest in other medicinal plants or only the ones you can get high on?

Empathy toward lifestyle choices isn't owed.
    I would vote to legalise it if it diverts users away from dealers and undermines their profits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,488 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd have no issue with it being legalised for medical use and would have supported it being legalised for personal use a few years ago but from what I've experienced with people I'd be a bit cautious!

Legalising it for medicinal use would also be very handy for anyone with mysterious back pains and syndromes that cant be detected by medical tests.

Hemp is already quite widely used in textiles and in construction. Legalising cannabis or not will have no impact on that.
    Do you have any interest in other medicinal plants or only the ones you can get high on?

Industrial hemp does not get you high, it contains approximately 0.02% THC, so I have no interest in getting high off that. Personally, my use of cannabis is purely medicinal, if I was in a number of other countries, I would be allowed to apply for a license to smoke it due to my glaucoma, and it's one of the few drugs that eases the symptoms considering that years of using pharmaceutical drugs have caused a number of stomach problems. And yes it is widely used in textiles and construction, but there is far more potential and due to the versatility of the crop, it would be very ignorant to say that it would have no economic benefits for this country.

I'd have no issue with it being legalised for medical use and would have supported it being legalised for personal use a few years ago but from what I've experienced with people I'd be a bit cautious!

Yeah, I'd most certainly agree with that point, but I'd far rather the money going to the government than some drug dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

How's your experience with people on alcohol?

Industrial hemp does not get you high, it contains approximately 0.02% THC, so I have no interest in getting high off that. Personally, my use of cannabis is purely medicinal, if I was in a number of other countries, I would be allowed to apply for a license to smoke it due to my glaucoma, and it's one of the few drugs that eases the symptoms considering that years of using pharmaceutical drugs have caused a number of stomach problems. And yes it is widely used in textiles and construction, but there is far more potential and due to the versatility of the crop, it would be very ignorant to say that it would have no economic benefits for this country.

What I was saying is that the current illegality of cannabis doesn't prevent the use of hemp. Hemp's usefulness is irrelevant to the legalisation argument. I didn't make any comment on the economic benefits of hemp.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,488 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

How's your experience with people on alcohol?

This is just from what I've experienced. I've seen people have trouble with alcohol and do fairly stupid things but in generally they've gotten their lives back on track. However the people I've known who's had issues with weed generally didn't fair as well!

What I was saying is that the current illegality of cannabis doesn't prevent the use of hemp. Hemp's usefulness is irrelevant to the legalisation argument. I didn't make any comment on the economic benefits of hemp.

Sorry Widdershins, misinterpreted that. But what I'm trying to say is, to grow even industrial grade hemp in this country you need to apply for a license that is very, very costly. Meaning hemp farming, which is quite a lucrative and profitable sector is just never going to be exploited to its full potential here. There is a lot of farmland throughout the country that is unfortunately going to waste. And some farmers would actually welcome this.

Legalising it for medicinal use would also be very handy for anyone with mysterious back pains and syndromes that cant be detected by medical tests.

You could have saved yourself a lot of hassle by just saying no,you are just coming across(in my opinion) as a bit of a judgment guru.

All hail widdershins,for his word and thoughts are law
    Maybe you should rest,being Sunday

• Advertisement

Sorry Widdershins, misinterpreted that. But what I'm trying to say is, to grow even industrial grade hemp in this country you need to apply for a license that is very, very costly. Meaning hemp farming, which is quite a lucrative and profitable sector is just never going to be exploited to its full potential here. There is a lot of farmland throughout the country that is unfortunately going to waste. And some farmers would actually welcome this

Theres a few places growing it,you can grow it if fields are out of sight,theres protein powders for sale in health shops carrying the made in ireland badge

Advertisement