Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis/Hemp Products/Medicinal/Legal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭mulbot

Should I stay away from buying in Ireland ,and how can they sell it if it's illegal

If it has less than .2% THC it can be sold

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

anyone see bbc's panarama tonight about legal highs??

its epidemic in newcastle england

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

philstar wrote: »
    anyone see bbc's panarama tonight about legal highs??

its epidemic in newcastle england

They are a problem because they're an unknown quantity, it's not so much the herbal extracts but the synthetic 'designer' chemicals. It's a nightmare for a paramedic or a doctor to treat somebody for toxicity for a substance that they have no process in place for. At least if somebody is ill because of cocaine, mdma, amphetamines etc there is an established protocol for treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭jh79

Gino Kenny tweeted that the HPRA report will be made public later this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

jh79 wrote: »
    Gino Kenny tweeted that the HPRA report will be made public later this week.

Then what?

Does it need to go back to Dail for another vote or can Harris just give the thumbs up and off we go?

Then what?

Does it need to go back to Dail for another vote or can Harris just give the thumbs up and off we go?

Another vote i think but it seems to have support across all parties except Sinn Fein who i imagine are worried about lower "tax" returns!

The HPRA is the biggest obstacle for this bill, the Minister stated it fell under their remit so is unlikely to go against their findings.

I think the most pro medical marijuanna lobby can hope for is legalisation for the 3 illnesses ,mentioned in the recent American and UK reviews , that cannabinoids and weed were found to have a modest effect on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I used to smoke regularly. My own experience is that it paved the way for bouts of depression and made me feel really isolated. I believe my weed smoking and subsequent depressive episodes were linked.

I stopped smoking and feel much better. I do miss the relaxation aspect of it but i'm not sure its something thats suitable for everyones constitution.

I dont believe its a dangerous drug at all but i think it does have negative side effects for some. i guess im conflicted - everyone should make their own decisions and its better than people binge drinking for sure. I guess once i stopped i could look back and see it wasnt a totally positive thing for me to be doing.

kleefarr wrote: »

Do you agree with their findings?

• Advertisement

Parchment wrote: »
    I used to smoke regularly. My own experience is that it paved the way for bouts of depression and made me feel really isolated. I believe my weed smoking and subsequent depressive episodes were linked.

I stopped smoking and feel much better. I do miss the relaxation aspect of it but i'm not sure its something thats suitable for everyones constitution.

I dont believe its a dangerous drug at all but i think it does have negative side effects for some. i guess im conflicted - everyone should make their own decisions and its better than people binge drinking for sure. I guess once i stopped i could look back and see it wasnt a totally positive thing for me to be doing.

The one thing about alcohol is it's oblvious your an alcoholic, pots not as easy you can hide away from the world and nobody knows your addicted to anything. It makes it very hard to get through to someone with an addiction, I'm watching somebody going through it at the moment and it's wrecked their life over the last few years and they just can't see it, no job, no money, certified depression/anxiety this is coming from someone who was very successful. Now the pots to treat the depression but the pots the cause, hard to watch happening would prefer they were an alcoholic then at least they might acknowledge the alcohol was having an effect and get some help.
    I'm 100% behind full legalisation but I have no idea what to do in the situation above to help one of my best mates and I'm pretty sure there's loads more out there like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Even if cannabis is legalised, the rate of which it dissipates from the body will make smoking it impossible for most, its a one month cycle, and I'd fear that once any legislation comes in certain jobs will be doing random drug tests.

I got talking to a group of Dutch one day in a coffee shop in the dam, and everyone except one person was lighting up, I asked him why and he said he worked in financial services and they are permabanned from smoking and are subject to regular testing.

So be prepared!! be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Even if cannabis is legalised, the rate of which it dissipates from the body will make smoking it impossible for most, its a one month cycle, and I'd fear that once any legislation comes in certain jobs will be doing random drug tests.

I got talking to a group of Dutch one day in a coffee shop in the dam, and everyone except one person was lighting up, I asked him why and he said he worked in financial services and they are permabanned from smoking and are subject to regular testing.

By the same token, the consumption of Alcohol, or being under the influence of Alcohol during working hours in some, if not most, companies in Ireland will result in disciplinary action if not instant dismissal.
    The rules won't be any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Eh yes they will alcohol is gone out of the system within 24hrs, huge difference.

Eh yes they will alcohol is gone out of the system within 24hrs, huge difference.

So what happens if I had a drink tonight but had to take an alcohol test at 9 tomorrow morning at work?

Irish companies already drug test, can't see it making much difference that way. It might even make it ok as you have a prescription for it.

Irish companies already drug test, can't see it making much difference that way. It might even make it ok as you have a prescription for it.

Exactly how it works where I was living in Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Ehhh no it won't...
    You will still need to present yourself Alcohol or Drug free, irrespective of how long it takes to clear out of your system. The legal status will have no bearing on company policy.

And yet he was telling you this while sat in a smoke filled coffee shop surrounded by everyone else blowing their smoke around him-passive smoking I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Irish companies already drug test, can't see it making much difference that way.

Well if they "drug test" for illegal drugs then if cannabis is legal then where's the problem?

And if they drug test for any substances, alcohol etc, because you're in some kind of public safety job then you shouldn't be taking it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Alcohol is completely out of system in 3 days. Weed is completely out of system in 6 weeks. HSE meeting statement.

The report is out now,

"It said the HPRA is not recommending treatment with cannabis because of the lack of data but does favour the introduction of a monitored cannabis treatment programme to run for five years.
    The conditions for which the group recommends the use of cannabis are spasticity associated with multiple sclerosis, intractable nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy and severe, refractory epilepsy.
    It recommended against the use of the drug to treat chronic pain."

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/cannabis-should-be-used-to-treat-some-conditions-report-says-1.2970120

There more than the only stake holder, Harris is aware people will want it for a lot more reasons than HPRA's take of when all other drugs fail approach.
    I'm expecting access for all for medicinal, from back pain to insomnia. I don't expect it all to be proven, we won't know it all in 100 years.

There more than the only stake holder, Harris is aware people will want it for a lot more reasons than HPRA's take of when all other drugs fail approach.
    I'm expecting access for all for medicinal, from back pain to insomnia. I don't expect it all to be proven, we won't know it all in 100 years.

“There appears to be a significant gap between the public perception of effectiveness and safety, and the regularly (sic) requirement for scientific data which is mandatory to determine the role of cannabis as a medicine,” the report stated.

From the above link.

https://www.hpra.ie/homepage/medicines/news-events/item?t=/cannabis-for-medical-use-controlled-access-advised&id=8db50726-9782-6eee-9b55-ff00008c97d0

"The specified medical conditions are:

Spasticity associated with multiple sclerosis;
    Intractable nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy;
    Severe, refractory (treatment-resistant) epilepsy.

The report indicates that there is insufficient clinical data to support the use of cannabis products in other medical conditions, at this time."

"With regard to the specified medical conditions, the use of cannabis products would be initiated under expert medical supervision on a trial basis, in situations where patients have failed to respond satisfactorily to standard treatment regimes.”

“There appears to be a significant gap between the public perception of effectiveness and safety, and the regularly (sic) requirement for scientific data which is mandatory to determine the role of cannabis as a medicine,” the report stated.

From the above link.

Yes but Harris isn't just releasing the report and saying here you go that's it.

If you read the it again, its the compassionate access program mentioned below which will make all the difference. The HPRA report doesn't deal with compassion, it couldn't.

Minister for Health Simon Harris will on Friday publish the Health Products Regulatory Authority (HPRA) report on cannabis for medical use.

He will also announce plans for “a compassionate access programme for cannabis-based treatments”.

Yes but Harris isn't just releasing the report and saying here you go that's it.

If you read the it again, its the compassionate access program mentioned below which will make all the difference. The HPRA report doesn't deal with compassion, it couldn't.

Minister for Health Simon Harris will on Friday publish the Health Products Regulatory Authority (HPRA) report on cannabis for medical use.

He will also announce plans for “a compassionate access programme for cannabis-based treatments”.

Are there any details on the access programmes it could just be financial help some of these cannabis based drugs are expensive.

I can't see him undermining the HPRA given he previously stated that medicinal marijuanna falls under their remit.

"The report notes that this is ultimately a societal and policy decision and I have decided to proceed with the advice of the HPRA and establish an access programme for cannabis-based treatments for certain conditions, where patients have not responded to other treatments and there is some evidence that cannabis may be effective,"

"The HPRA report advised that, if a policy decision is taken to permit cannabis under an access programme, it should be for the treatment of patients with:

Spasticity associated with multiple sclerosis resistant to all standard therapies and interventions whilst under expert medical supervision. Intractable nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy, despite the use of standard anti-emetic regimes whilst under expert medical supervision. Severe, refractory (treatment-resistant) epilepsy that has failed to respond to standard anticonvulsant medications whilst under expert medical supervision. The report stated that patients accessing cannabis through the programme should be under the care of a medical consultant and medical information and utilisation data should be kept on a central register."

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/medicinal-cannabis-should-be-used-to-treat-some-conditions-report-says-35439258.html

It looks like that is the extent of medical marijuana in this country. If all other treatments fail for the above, cannabis based medicine will be allowed .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

"The report notes that this is ultimately a societal and policy decision and I have decided to proceed with the advice of the HPRA and establish an access programme for cannabis-based treatments for certain conditions, where patients have not responded to other treatments and there is some evidence that cannabis may be effective,"

"The HPRA report advised that, if a policy decision is taken to permit cannabis under an access programme, it should be for the treatment of patients with:

Spasticity associated with multiple sclerosis resistant to all standard therapies and interventions whilst under expert medical supervision. Intractable nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy, despite the use of standard anti-emetic regimes whilst under expert medical supervision. Severe, refractory (treatment-resistant) epilepsy that has failed to respond to standard anticonvulsant medications whilst under expert medical supervision. The report stated that patients accessing cannabis through the programme should be under the care of a medical consultant and medical information and utilisation data should be kept on a central register."

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/medicinal-cannabis-should-be-used-to-treat-some-conditions-report-says-35439258.html

It looks like that is the extent of medical marijuana in this country. If all other treatments fail for the above, cannabis based medicine will be allowed .

I'm glad for the people who now qualify, it's not great news for pain sufferers who are stuck with opiates or illegal options though.

• Advertisement

Seanachai wrote: »
    I'm glad for the people who now qualify, it's not great news for pain sufferers who are stuck with opiates or illegal options though.

For chronic pain this is what they found;

"The clinical trials of cannabis in chronic pain involved patients with a wide range of causes including neuropathic pain, cancer pain and fibromyalgia. The cannabis products evaluated included authorised medicines, and smoked cannabis. The data generally suggested an improvement in pain associated with cannabis products. When these clinical trials are combined, the overall estimate of benefit is moderate and there is no effect on patient’s self reported quality of life. The symptoms of pain are subjective, and the majority of clinical trials that have been conducted have been shown to be subject to a moderate risk of bias (where repeated errors in data collection have led to incorrect estimates). These biases mean that the treatment effects that have been reported in clinical trials of cannabis for chronic pain should be viewed with caution, and that the evidence-base in terms of benefit remains uncertain. In addition, cannabis products were associated with a greater risk of side effects, including serious side effects, when compared to other pain medicines. No studies have evaluated the long term safety of treatment with cannabis products."

Advertisement