Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis/Hemp Products/Medicinal/Legal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭jh79

kleefarr wrote: »

The HPRA's issue with the use of marijuana for chronic pain was the modest effect combined with an increased risk of side effects compared to other treatments , i don't think this study changes anything as the effect was modest too. Also it would be pretty obvious to the patient if they got the placebo.

http://www.jpain.org/article/S1526-5900(15)00837-8/abstract?cc=y=#/article/S1526-5900(15)00837-8/fulltext?mobileUi=1

Here is a link to the full study.

"In conclusion, this study suggests that the AEs of medical cannabis are modest and comparable quantitatively and qualitatively with prescription cannabinoids. The results suggest that cannabis at average doses of 2.5 g/d in current cannabis users may be safe as part of a carefully monitored pain management program when conventional treatments have been considered medically inappropriate or inadequate. However, safety concerns in naive users cannot be addressed. Moreover, long-term effects on pulmonary functions and neurocognitive functions beyond 1 year cannot be determined. Further studies with systematic follow-up are required to characterize safety issues among new cannabis users and should be extended to allow estimation of longer-term risks."

The voice over is hilarious.

"Killing" cancer cells in the lab isn't difficult.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just putting this out there, and i'm an avid believer that it should be legalised.

I went through a very hard bout of anxiety that changed me completely from the person i was previously to the person i was then. I went to many a doctor, psychiatrist and therapists. I was advised on all different aspects of my life, what i needed to change, diet, exercise, everything. And it was a benefit to me, i got healthier, lost weight, etc, but i still couldn't stop myself from getting anxiety, and it was getting to the stage where i couldn't tell if i was about to get an attack (i used to be able to tell by the feelings throughout the day, but it started just happening after a while without warning). Anyway, i tried a few different medications, which i didn't want to do, i didn't want to fill my body with chemicals that may or may not help, with one of them having a potential side effect of increased suicidal tendencies!!! Like i didn't have enough as it was at the time, and that medication definitely wasn't wrong about it, i thought it more when i was on it (didn't have any anxiety attacks mind).

Anyway, i used to smoke when i was younger, and i remembered the carefree feeling any time i used to take a toke. So i said feck it, why am i poisoning my body with chemicals concocted in a lab to change how my body reacts and speaks to itself. So i stopped the medication, gave myself enough time without anything to clear my body of any potential left over chemicals, and bought a bag. I slept that night more soundly than nearly any other night for about 8 months. And not a single negative thought. Repeated the following night, the same, and so on and so on. I only ever got the anxiety when i went a few days without having a smoke in the evenings/nights. I wasn't waking and baking, i was still able to do my job, sober, but i had the added benefits of having no anxiety attacks and all my tv shows and films were enhanced.

I don't get why i can't use a plant, and nothing else, to combat my anxiety, when the Government wants to fill my body with unnatural chemicals which don't do the job even partially as good as a plant can. And i would take the high CBD/low to no THC strains for my anxiety, it's not the high i want, it's the prevention of anxiety i want. Not that the high is bad, it's not, but i'd like to be able to go some nights without ingesting the THC. This country has a massive opening to become a leader in the market, especially from the research point of view. I genuinely couldn't care less if someone thinks it needs more time to be tested, it's around longer than nearly any other treatment, and the only one that truly works for me. I said it to multiple doctors, and while some were reluctant to allow me to "self-medicate", others were more open and didn't even try to talk me out of it.

"There appears to be a significant gap between the public perception of effectiveness and
    safety, and the regulatory requirement for scientific data which is mandatory to determine the role of cannabis as a medicine."

From the HPRA report.

Public perception?

What about the people that have actually used it and give reports on it's affectiveness?
    More farking bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Public perception?

What about the people that have actually used it and give reports on it's affectiveness?
    More farking bull****.

In fairness, anecdote doesn't give much evidence of effectiveness, you don't know what would have happened anyway or if another treatment had been used. Doing a trial with a sufficient number of people means we know what effect can be attributed to the treatment being investigated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Gino Kenny has tweeted;

"It's now shaping up to be either the PBPA or the HPRA Medicinal Cannabis Bill."

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭theValheru853

Vera Twomey is back on the road to highlight the medicinal cannabis bill issue and protest about how their application for a ministerial exemption keeps being rejected for their daughter.
    I think she deserves all the support she can get from us

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Meanwhile over on Viceland TV right now there smoking Christmas trees Bong Appetit !

Feeling Opressed : (

Meanwhile over on Viceland TV right now there smoking Christmas trees Bong Appetit !

Feeling Opressed : (

It's looking shaky with Sessions in the US, he's said that he respects Trump's stance on medical marijuana but has expressed his reluctance on recreational use.

There is currently a march to raise awareness for Vera Twomey's case, the intention seems genuine but from what I've read it's her medical team that have deemed cannabis to be unsuitable. What will pressuring the government achieve in this case?

• Advertisement

I wonder if her medical team are in the hands of government and the pharmaceutical industry.

Doesn't sound like it , does it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

That seems to be what the government are saying but according to Vera herself there are two paediatric neurologists who would be happy to prescribe it for ava but its still not legal to do so. Seems to be a catch 22 where the government are telling Vera that she needs a paediatric neurologist to sign off their application but those doctors are telling Vera they can't legally do so until the government change the legislation. Obviously someone somewhere is telling fibs and I know who I chose to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Seanachai wrote: »
    It's looking shaky with Sessions in the US, he's said that he respects Trump's stance on medical marijuana but has expressed his reluctance on recreational use.

Interesting times indeed.

A major policy of the republican party is to scrap as many federal regulations,as possible so that individual states can decide matters for themselves. That's their approach to health and education. That's the main argument for them to scrap the current abortion "law" (it's actually a supreme court decision.)

So going back on that ideology to enforce federal regulations against states would be very unlikely.

Anything could happen though.

coffeyt wrote: »
    That seems to be what the government are saying but according to Vera herself there are two paediatric neurologists who would be happy to prescribe it for ava but its still not legal to do so. Seems to be a catch 22 where the government are telling Vera that she needs a paediatric neurologist to sign off their application but those doctors are telling Vera they can't legally do so until the government change the legislation. Obviously someone somewhere is telling fibs and I know who I chose to believe.

I asked the question on a Facebook article and was told that her medical team are not refusing to prescribe but 'the amount she needs has to be legalised and signed off by Simon Harris'

Seanachai wrote:
    There is currently a march to raise awareness for Vera Twomey's case, the intention seems genuine but from what I've read it's her medical team that have deemed cannabis to be unsuitable. What will pressuring the government achieve in this case?

Its not that her daughters medical team deems it unsuitable, as far as I know they are willing to go abroad to learn to properly administer the treatment. Its that they cannot prescribe it without permission from the minister by either way of an exemption or a change in legislation.

The minister on the other hand is saying he cannot authorize it without the doctors prescibing it first, which they are actually willing to do once he grants permission.

It looks like a chicken and egg situation but I think the doctors are right that he needs to allow them to first be able to administer it and then they will proceed.

There's already been another case where an application was made to the Minister for Health for a licence for cannabis treatment for paediatric epilepsy which was successful. It's not clear what's different about this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

I may be completely wrong here but I think the application that was successful was for a child who had already received the medication in usa who returned to Ireland and so that application was supported by paed neurologists that had already treated him abroad. As I said not 100% on that but I feel like I read about it previously.

coffeyt wrote: »
    I may be completely wrong here but I think the application that was successful was for a child who had already received the medication in usa who returned to Ireland and so that application was supported by paed neurologists that had already treated him abroad. As I said not 100% on that but I feel like I read about it previously.

That certainly rings a bell. That would be interesting though, as a prescription is only valid in Ireland if written by a doctor registered in the European, so any prescription written by a US doctor wouldn't have legal standing here.

coffeyt wrote:

You are probably correct. But that probably should not have been allowed as the neurologist treating the boy in the states is not an irish registered doctor practicing in the state which was the requirement placed on Vera Twomeys daughter.
    He should have been examined by an irish registered neurologist practicing in the state first. It would have levelled the playing field and set a standard. Had this been the case the events of the last week would not have happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Vera Twomey is back on the road to highlight the medicinal cannabis bill issue and protest about how their application for a ministerial exemption keeps being rejected for their daughter.
    I think she deserves all the support she can get from us

Can she not just buy the stuff and save all the hassle? Genuine Question.

Advertisement