Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis/Hemp Products/Medicinal/Legal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

This is a link to the only fully licensed producer of Medicinal Cannabis in the Netherlands.

Cannabis Bureau Netherlands Patient Information

They have detailed information showing the different grades that they are producing with full accompanying lab analysis.
    In each product the percentage of THC to CBD is different, obviously for the user to have a choice depending on their specific needs.
    There is obviously a demand for different grades, or strains, to cater for the variety of problems they are trying to help, otherwise why go to thr trouble of producing the different varieties.
    On some "seed" websites, they will usually give the percentage and ratio of THC / CBD expected from a plant grown in Ideal conditions, one can only presume that this is done to accomodate those looking for a specific balance for a specific purpose.
    Extraction methods vary greatly from heated presses to extraction by the RSO method all available to view on youtoob.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭jh79

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/taoiseach-says-exact-time-frame-for-cannabis-bill-impossible-1.3002958

"Taoiseach Enda Kenny has said he cannot give a commitment that legislation to allow for the use of medicinal cannabis will be completed within the 12 weeks pledged by Minister for Health Simon Harris."

"He added that a supervising paediatric neurologist would still need to authorise the use of medicinal cannabis whether or not the legislation was passed."

"The Taoiseach told him, however, that a “medical consultant needs to supervise the prescribing of medicinal cannabis”. He said the next stage was that a meeting would take place between Ava’s parents, their GP and a consultant paediatric neurologist."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I actually support what she is doing but I don't believe it should be made for recreational use.
    Why?
    Because some idiot will try exactly what you proposed. Growing their own and squeezing it out and try to craft it as you said.....and then end up poisoning themselves and the whole thing is back to square one.
    Even if they use the strongest weed known to man it would take some dedication for someone to poison themselves with cannabis oil. It would be easier to poison yourself with water than it would be to poison yourself with cannabis.

Plenty of people make cannabis oils, most don't though, it's to costly. If you want to get high herb form is fine for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

ScumLord wrote: »
    Even if they use the strongest weed known to man it would take some dedication for someone to poison themselves with cannabis oil. It would be easier to poison yourself with water than it would be to poison yourself with cannabis.

Plenty of people make cannabis oils, most don't though, it's to costly. If you want to get high herb form is fine for most people.

I can understand how a neurologist may be worried about prescribing cannabis to a child, even if it proves to ease their symptoms drastically they could be cautious about the effect it could have on their patient's developing brain. I'm open minded about cannabis usage, but at the same time I can appreciate how somebody who has to call the shots may be hesitant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Seanachai wrote: »
    I can understand how a neurologist may be worried about prescribing cannabis to a child, even if it proves to ease their symptoms drastically they could be cautious about the effect it could have on their patient's developing brain. I'm open minded about cannabis usage, but at the same time I can appreciate how somebody who has to call the shots may be hesitant.

don't worry your pretty little head about patients brain developement, scientists/chemists have known for a while now that the brain has these receptors for thc and cbd, therefore it's only natural for the brain to have these chemicals present and their presense is beneficial to the brain, using cannabis reduces life threatening seizures in babies, kids and adults of all ages, just what kind of side effects do you think are worse than quite possible irreversible brain damage or even death?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's a risk reward affair. Preferably all children should avoid any drug as much as possible. But if your quality of life is going to be unbearable then the side effects of cannabis are going to be worth it.
    pure.conya wrote: »
    don't worry your pretty little head about patients brain developement, scientists/chemists have known for a while now that the brain has these receptors for thc and cbd, therefore it's only natural for the brain to have these chemicals present and their presense is beneficial to the brain, using cannabis reduces life threatening seizures in babies, kids and adults of all ages, just what kind of side effects do you think are worse than quite possible irreversible brain damage or even death?
    Not really though. Using cannabis can mess up your brains chemistry. For instance if you smoke regularly one of the chemicals that your brain uses to make your sleepy is similar to one of the chemicals in cannabis, when you smoke all the time your brain just decides hat theres enough of this chemical and stops producing it. So when you stop smoking cannabis you'll find it very, very difficult to go to sleep at night for up to two weeks or so until your brain starts producing that chemical on it's own again..

Cannabis is not perfectly safe for everyone to use whenever they like. But it's nowhere near dangerous enough to be considered a danger to the user and society at large. It's not even as dangerous as alcohol, it's not even close. But people should be aware that there are side effects and some of them can be harmful to some people.

Do you have a science background or are you getting this information from 'naturalnews' or similar? The THC/CBD receptors in the brain trope is thrown about a lot but the reality is that studies have not been thorough or extensive enough to say either away.

If you read my post I'm not arguing against the usage of cannabis but trying to put myself in the shoes of a medical professional who has to actually make the hard decisions. If there are worries about cannabis usage in the teenage years and it's effect on brain development then surely the same concerns apply to young children also, maybe even more so.

The professionals have to weigh up the harm vs benefit, they do not all have a personal vendetta against cannabis, despite what you may think. Try taking a breath and read the post properly this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭jh79

Scientists know very little about these receptor. It is a crazy assumption that because these receptors exist they therefore must be beneficial. Receptors can be expressed differently throughtout the body and have different functions depending on location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

White widow growing in the ditch down from my place. That's worse looking than any ditch/bush weed I've ever seen.

Was just reading same on Facebook.

This is what they are trying to con people with. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Limited Garda resources are focused on this - Man arrested as cannabis worth €450,000 is seized in Cork

Instead of this - Cork heroin den

The social consequences between cannabis and heroin are night and day. Yet you still have so many ignorant people who think drugs are drugs, and drugs are bad and illegal!

Except of course many of those same people think other drugs are good like alcohol and prescription medication, and because their legal, they're not really drugs!

I think legitimate points can be made for the criminalisation of drugs like heroin and coke. As their legal status make it somewhat tricky logistically for criminals to get it into the country as we are living on an island.
    The thing with cannabis though, is that it can be grown by anyone right here in the country, it can even be grown naturally outdoors with only a basic level of knowledge. The vast majority of people who smoke cannabis are fully functional human beings, the same as most people who drink alcohol are fully functional human beings.

The continued criminalisation of cannabis is futile and does far more damage overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Limited Garda resources are focused on this - Man arrested as cannabis worth €450,000 is seized in Cork

Instead of this - Cork heroin den

The social consequences between cannabis and heroin are night and day. Yet you still have so many ignorant people who think drugs are drugs, and drugs are bad and illegal!

Except of course many of those same people think other drugs are good like alcohol and prescription medication, and because their legal, they're not really drugs!

I think legitimate points can be made for the criminalisation of drugs like heroin and coke. As their legal status make it somewhat tricky logistically for criminals to get it into the country as we are living on an island.
    The thing with cannabis though, is that it can be grown by anyone right here in the country, it can even be grown naturally outdoors with only a basic level of knowledge. The vast majority of people who smoke cannabis are fully functional human beings, the same as most people who drink alcohol are fully functional human beings.

The continued criminalisation of cannabis is futile and does far more damage overall.

they focus on major dealers rather than drug users. what is the issue with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭theValheru853

I am telling you, you haven't the slightest idea what your talking about.

I know a lot more than tou may think.

If I get some weed to help my back pain then that's medicinal cannabis. If I get some weed for ****s and giggles that's recreational. It's still the same weed it's just the use is different.

You will never be prescribed cannabis for your back pain. There are too many proven medications, prescription and otherwise, that are legal and do work. It will be allowed for eventually for people with epilipsy and growing your own will not be an option there.

Medicinal is harder grow if your going to grade it for medical use as bugs or disease will have your crop rejected. It's still the same weed though. You play around with strengths with the plant itself, mixing incas and sativas. One is higher in CBD and the other THC.

And how do you measure yours?
    Where are you getting 1 & 2% THC she requires, 1 and 2% of what, your talking jibberish.

The child's mother if you have been bothering to listen to her being interveiwed
    Why are you anti recreational use, it makes me think your about 12 to be honest between your view and lack of knowledge of the subject.

It's not so much that I'm anti-recreational but when you proposed parking up the medicinal cannabis bill, it was raising a red flag to a bull.

There are a lot of people in this country who will benefit from it and you are willing to put a little girl's life on the line so you can get your fix.

And from what you've said that is what you are after. Plenty back medications out there. If your back is that bad, start using them.

BTW If I'm 12, how come your the one with the problem with percentages?

lol, putting a little girls life on the line so I can get my fix(it's not crack cocaine). I still think your confused about the differences between medicinal cannabis and cannabis. If either become legal the little girl gets her oil, I'm just saying it'll be a lot easier make cannabis legal than get cannabis classified as a medicine.

lol, putting a little girls life on the line so I can get my fix(it's not crack cocaine). I still think your confused about the differences between medicinal cannabis and cannabis. If either become legal the little girl gets her oil, I'm just saying it'll be a lot easier make cannabis legal than get cannabis classified as a medicine.

Lets call a spade a spade here. The form of epilipsy that this girl has is fatal. So yes....you are putting her life on the line and other sufferers of Dravets Syndrome and other drug resistant epilpsies.

Well, when this is the type of cannabis they are using in trials (may be intentionally) is it any wonder they come out with such rubbish bloody results.
    Anyway, it's been used for thousands of years, we don't hear of any large rates of death from it do we.

https://www.leafly.com/news/politics/photos-prove-government-grown-cannabis-basically-ditch-weed?utm_source=FBPAGE&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=FP&linkId=35504810

Lets call a spade a spade here. The form of epilipsy that this girl has is fatal. So yes....you are putting her life on the line and other sufferers of Dravets Syndrome and other drug resistant epilpsies.

You still believe there 2 different drugs or you wouldn't have come out with a crazy statement like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i'm one of those people who think drugs (illegal ones) are bad. and, surprise surprise, should be illegal and kept that way, and whatsmore, i won't apologise for it.
    there are reasons why they are and i, for one, am willing to accpet that.

i've never seen an illegal drug (sheltered life:), but am also never impressed by those who say they take these drugs. imho if you had enough intelligence you'd avoid them. after all they're hardly increasing anyone's iq now are they?

• Advertisement

You still believe there 2 different drugs or you wouldn't have come out with a crazy statement like that.

What crazy statement? That Dravets Syndrome is fatal? My good man, I think you had better go away and start eduacating yourself before you open your mouth to the wrong person and get the **** kicked out of yourself for you ignorance.
    I know they are the same thing but people will benefit from cannabis through the proper channels and guys like you, looking fot it to be legalised for recreational use, are not helping matters.
    Give it to those that need it first before those who want it for giggles get it.

Your bat **** crazy if you think recreational cannabis users are putting little girls life's at risk.

Yes I do.
    As long as recreational users are beating their drum to get their kicks, the people in need of medicinal cannabis are losing out because everyone is being lumped in the one boat.....including one little girl.

Everybody is losing out at the moment. The quickest way to get people access is to decriminalise, what Eva needs can be produced at home if cannabis is made legal again. The cost is minimal.
    Trying to turn it into a medicine isn't going to happen for years here or maybe even decades if at all.
    Have a look at the results of the poll above you. Your part of the 15%, join the 75% and she'll have her oil quicker.
    I remember going to legalize marches 20 years ago and there was a lot more people at them than what I've seen in the media recently supporting the medicinal cannabis campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭mulbot

i'm one of those people who think drugs (illegal ones) are bad. and, surprise surprise, should be illegal and kept that way, and whatsmore, i won't apologise for it.
    there are reasons why they are and i, for one, am willing to accpet that.

i've never seen an illegal drug (sheltered life:), but am also never impressed by those who say they take these drugs. imho if you had enough intelligence you'd avoid them. after all they're hardly increasing anyone's iq now are they?

And what do you think of legal drugs like alcohol? Good?

Do you think people who consume the drug alcohol are also low in intelligence?

Everybody is losing out at the moment. The quickest way to get people access is to decriminalise, what Eva needs can be produced at home if cannabis is made legal again. The cost is minimal. Trying to turn it into a medicine isn't going to happen for years here or maybe even decades if at all. Have a look at the results of the poll above you. Your part of the 15%, join the 75% and she'll have her oil quicker. I remember going to legalize marches 20 years ago and there was a lot more people at them than what I've seen in the media recently supporting the medicinal cannabis campaign.

The medicine is there....it just needs to be legalised so that those that need it can get it.

mulbot wrote: »
    And what do you think of legal drugs like alcohol? Good?

Do you think people who consume the drug alcohol are also low in intelligence?

It's a little ironic that the people who think they've a high IQ because they've never tried anything are actually the people with a low IQ http://jech.bmj.com/content/66/9/767

The medicine is there....it just needs to be legalised so that those that need it can get it.

Can you see why legalising the plant is a quicker road. Let them do the medical trials like any other medicine but in the meantime just legalise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

The pharma lobby won't allow it. Everywhere where cannabis has been legalised demand for their wares has dropped. The pharma corps are the biggest obstacle.

• Advertisement

The pharma lobby won't allow it. Everywhere where cannabis has been legalised demand for their wares has dropped. The pharma corps are the biggest obstacle.

The pharma make the money out of it regardless. If its legalised for medicinal use, who do you think is gonna process it?

Advertisement