Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis/Hemp Products/Medicinal/Legal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

God was porbably a stoner, why else Mangos and Broccoli.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Jayop wrote: »
    Well I'm not spamming every related thread to try to force my view down everyone's throat.
    That's not really fair, JH79 has been a voice of reason in this thread. He hasn't been asserting his opinion just trying to bring some facts to add to all the anecdotal evidence that get's thrown around as fact. Hi's just what threads like these need or else we're just confirming our own biases.
    Gebgbegb wrote: »
    consuming CBD doesn't have the same result as smoking a joint. I.e. the high.
    Cannabis oil doesn't just have CBD in it though, it's literally a purified version of weed. CBD extract is a different process as far as I'm aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's not really fair, JH79 has been a voice of reason in this thread. He hasn't been asserting his opinion just trying to bring some facts to add to all the anecdotal evidence that get's thrown around as fact. Hi's just what threads like these need or else we're just confirming our own biases.

Cannabis oil doesn't just have CBD in it though, it's literally a purified version of weed. CBD extract is a different process as far as I'm aware.

Someone with 7 or 8 times more Posts posting the same thing over and over at everyone who comes into the thread in an attempt to drown out anyone else or bore them into submission is doing exactly what I said. This is after hours not a science forum and people are entitled to give their views without the Spanish inquisition.

Someone with 7 or 8 times more Posts posting the same thing over and over at everyone who comes into the thread in an attempt to drown out anyone else or bore them into submission is doing exactly what I said. This is after hours not a science forum and people are entitled to give their views without the Spanish inquisition.

Well said, roll up or get fupped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

It's kind of important though. We're mainly talking about the 'medicinification' of cannabis.
    The legalisation of cannabis for recreational purposes is actually more straightforward (I think! ).
    But once you're asking a doctor/neurologist to promote or prescribe something with only recent research and anecdotal evidence, then thats crossing a line. We may as well be asking them to prescribe healing crystals cos of stories of cures (and there are plenty).
    Dunno if oils (or even smoking cannabis) are that detrimental to adults... but for kids... then there's particular cases of parents saying it stops seizures.

• Advertisement

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    It's kind of important though. We're mainly talking about the 'medicinification' of cannabis.
    The legalisation of cannabis for recreational purposes is actually more straightforward (I think! ).
    But once you're asking a doctor/neurologist to promote or prescribe something with only recent research and anecdotal evidence, then thats crossing a line. We may as well be asking them to prescribe healing crystals cos of stories of cures (and there are plenty).
    Dunno if oils (or even smoking cannabis) are that detrimental to adults... but for kids... then there's particular cases of parents saying it stops seizures.

I agree it's important to hear both sides, but that's not what's happening when one person is bludgeoning the thread like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭jh79

scamalert wrote: »
    can you stop with gw campaigns, they are barely making over 20mill year to year, that's crumbles to likes of pfizer and they dont even touch cannabis field.

there should be no companies for the plant only licensed growers, rest should be sent to labs to analyze and sold otc like done in states, this crap with perfect strain isolating single cannabinoids when full plant does same job, as i said is recreating wheel, since you somehow imply that likes of Canada have low standards and its like they dont know what they are doing but at the same time it works perfectly where its legal to generate revenue and let people choose it as medical/recreational option.

Since seems only thing here is politicians who are from 60-70s who seem weed as still war on drugs, that's major issue, instead working towards laws implementing it and making actual revenue, somehow Colorado is blooming, LA didn't collapse and kids in Canada get treated but not here, total bummer when in 21st century goverment cant hire external advisers who use it as treatment for decades, rather blame that there's no certified people to treat with it, when its banned substance irony .

This is the official Canadian statement on medical marijuana.

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?mthd=index&crtr.page=1&nid=832889

"Marijuana is not an approved drug or medicine in Canada and has not gone through the necessary rigorous scientific trials for efficacy or safety.

Health Canada does not endorse the use of marijuana, but the courts have required reasonable access to a legal source of marijuana for medical purposes."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Can we believe that this woman is telling the truth? I as sure bloody well can.
    But, as it does not confirm to what the majority of the pharmaceutical industry is saying then i guess it's complete tosh as they say there is limited medicinal benefit in cannabis.

https://youtu.be/rnVisZVZfHc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

jh79 wrote: »
    This is the official Canadian statement on medical marijuana.

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?mthd=index&crtr.page=1&nid=832889

"Marijuana is not an approved drug or medicine in Canada and has not gone through the necessary rigorous scientific trials for efficacy or safety.

Health Canada does not endorse the use of marijuana, but the courts have required reasonable access to a legal source of marijuana for medical purposes."

That's 3 years old, here is the more up to date article :

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/policing/justice/legalization-regulation-marijuana.html

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »

The reason i posted that is because it shows that even in countries with liberal attitudes to medical.marijuana they recognise that the scientific data is poor.

Scamalert said i was infering that Canada had lowered standards for medicine to allow access. That is not the case, the Canadian governmemt confirm in their statement that weed doesn't meet regulatory requirements.

It's a pity the PBP and Gino were not a bit more honest when pushing for medical marijuana.

The reason i say honest is that if you read the original bill you can see they knew the gaps were there but in public they claimed it was without doubt medicine . The minster then had no choice but to refer to the HPRA in my opinion.

There bullsh@t back fired on them. They had to apologise for "Cannibis kills cancer" posters in Mayo.

Do they not know that if false claims of a clincal effect such as those in that poster become established that the HPRA would have to intervene just like what happened in the uk with CBD oil containing no thc . It is now illegal to sell CBD oil without a license because of all the unproven claims of clincal effects.

CBD oil sellers in the uk were told that if the claims were just general health benefits they would of been left alone.

The journal article for the above was re-tweet by Gino without any negative comments. They didn't realise it was bad news. To be fair either did the journal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

kleefarr wrote: »

I can't play it in work, do they have sick children?

Seanachai wrote: »
    I can't play it in work, do they have sick children?

Listen to it when you get home.
    Dead children.

Israel's medical marijuana pioneers look to cash in on $20bn market

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/apr/03/israels-medical-marijuana-pioneers-look-to-cash-in-on-20bn-market?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

I knew Israel were big into this but glad to see they want to things properly.

"In the United States, for example, they use recreational marijuana for medical use – that’s like making chicken soup when you have a cold,” Landschaft recently told Reuters. “We’re the ones making the antibiotics.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭mulbot

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/apr/03/israels-medical-marijuana-pioneers-look-to-cash-in-on-20bn-market?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

"In the United States, for example, they use recreational marijuana for medical use – that’s like making chicken soup when you have a cold,” Landschaft recently told Reuters. “We’re the ones making the antibiotics.”

So what are they changing in the process of making their "medical" marijuana?

China are 5000 years ahead of Israel http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/as-cannabis-is-widely-legalised-china-cashes-in-on-an-unprecedented-boom-9039191.html

Trump isn't worried about North Korea's nukes, it's worried about how cheap it can sell cannabis to china for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

still beating same drums jh79 :cool:

so because pharma companies find now certain parts of plant can lesser peoples symptoms they make meds,with 100% margin to sell,id imagine that 20 bill will be reached selling 10mil sprays or tabs for 500e+ to reach their goals.

As it stand now, you grow weed its bad one since government gets nothing out of it if pharma does it its raining money.

tbh ,if i was in place of any people that suffer with some sort illness that basically renders life useless or nightmare ,id have jungle growing and no fcks given ,if cannabis even had 10% of making live easier,since there's nothing to lose in such cases,for kids yeah you might want maybe some reassurance,but even best pharma meds cover their asses with 100 list of side effects and addiction or stoned will be somewhere there between lines and that's the whole difference, between growers and pharma growers.

Since if they want to extract certain parts of plant, dont see issue with using all plant, granted stoned might be side effect, but in real sense for critical patients think its only added benefit.

mulbot wrote: »
    So what are they changing in the process of making their "medical" marijuana?

Documented and controlled crop production and then research into medical devices and dosage forms to ensure a controled dose eg inhalers, patches.

They are doing a double blind clinical trial in children in cancer using controlled release capsules.

A proper scientific approach.

Oh and what could be controversial for posters on here, GM crops designed to target certain receptors.

The GM stuff is the most interesting. Very little is known on the cannabinoid receptor so targeting specific cannabinoids will yield loads of info.

I was a bit dismissive of the Israel effortd earlier in the thread but i think it was cause i read about them in leafy.com which i 've learnt rather quickly is a terrible source of info.

• Advertisement

still beating same drums jh79 :cool:

so because pharma companies find now certain parts of plant can lesser peoples symptoms they make meds,with 100% margin to sell,id imagine that 20 bill will be reached selling 10mil sprays or tabs for 500e+ to reach their goals.

As it stand now, you grow weed its bad one since government gets nothing out of it if pharma does it its raining money.

tbh ,if i was in place of any people that suffer with some sort illness that basically renders life useless or nightmare ,id have jungle growing and no fcks given ,if cannabis even had 10% of making live easier,since there's nothing to lose in such cases,for kids yeah you might want maybe some reassurance,but even best pharma meds cover their asses with 100 list of side effects and addiction or stoned will be somewhere there between lines and that's the whole difference, between growers and pharma growers.

Since if they want to extract certain parts of plant, dont see issue with using all plant, granted stoned might be side effect, but in real sense for critical patients think its only added benefit.

This link is for you, the official Israeli stance;

https://www.health.gov.il/English/MinistryUnits/HealthDivision/cannabis/Pages/default.aspx

”. Medical Cannabis is not a medicine, it is not registered as a medicine, and its efficacy and safety when used for medical purposes has not yet been established. Nevertheless, there is evidence that cannabis could help patients suffering from certain medical conditions, and alleviate their suffering"

I'm pro legalisation but as a scientist working in medicine i will call out BS that marijauna has already enough evidence to be considered medicine .

Can we accept this as fact now and move on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

The most common side effects with Sativex are dizziness and tiredness. Some people may also feel depressed or confused, may feel over-excited or lose touch with reality, may have difficulties with memory or trouble concentrating and may feel sleepy or giddy (1)

couple lines like that is all the difference i see between weed and medical weed,one includes note it will have side effects even thou we made it weak as possible synthesized version,which well sell you with 500e price deal.

The most common side effects with Sativex are dizziness and tiredness. Some people may also feel depressed or confused, may feel over-excited or lose touch with reality, may have difficulties with memory or trouble concentrating and may feel sleepy or giddy (1)

couple lines like that is all the difference i see between weed and medical weed,one includes note it will have side effects even thou we made it weak as possible synthesized version,which well sell you with 500e price deal.

A uniform and consistent dose and a compostion with a proven therapeutic effect.

How do you know that white window in a shop has the CBD /THC you need? Trust in a billion dollar barely regulated industry, are you that naive?

Just the last line, it is not synthesized it is the natural plant, think it is disolved in alcohol /PEG so it can be sprayed.

A uniform and consistent dose and a compostion with a proven therapeutic effect.

How do you know that white window in a shop has the CBD /THC you need? Trust in a billion dollar barely regulated industry, are you that naive?

Just the last line, it is not synthesized it is the natural plant, think it is disolved in alcohol /PEG so it can be sprayed.

It's very easy to get marijuana tested for THC/CBD. So once you know that you can use those genetics for breeding. It is no different to what GW are doing.

It's very easy to get marijuana tested for THC/CBD. So once you know that you can use those genetics for breeding. It is no different to what GW are doing.

So i throw a couple of seed out the back garden i'll get the same as GW? It's that simple once you have the seeds?

So i throw a couple of seed out the back garden i'll get the same as GW? It's that simple once you have the seeds?

I wouldn't throw my seeds out the back garden. I'd use a nice hydro system or soil based with all the controls. Again,once you have the genetics as I presume GW do,for their product ,the growing process is same/similiar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Don't feed the birds, not if you're in the city anyway. The curtain-twitchers will call the man ;)

I wouldn't throw my seeds out the back garden. I'd use a nice hydro system or soil based with all the controls. Again,once you have the genetics as I presume GW do,for their product ,the growing process is same/similiar

Sure you won't be able to get those seeds, they'll have them patented and then magically they will be a wonderdrug.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's just not that simple and straight forward with living things. There's no way you could guarantee potency from one bud to the next, nevermind from one plant to the next. You would need to reduce it all into a different product and your still stuck with a random average of that particular batch. They can get it close but not close enough for medical needs I'd say.

• Advertisement

So why do you go to that bother? Are you saying the seeds determine the thc/cbd and the rest is for yield? I've done a bit of gardening in the past myself.

Advertisement