Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis/Hemp Products/Medicinal/Legal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

France about to decriminalise, maybe Leo will do the same as he's modelling Macron.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Would it though. Can you really get the same experience from vaping.

I mean I'm in the middle of a cigarette battle at the moment and no matter how strong a dose I get I still can't satisfy my nicotine cravings. It's just not the same sensation.
    I felt the same when I got a vape kit for nicotine. But it's a completely different thing. Smoking cigarettes is like scratching an itch, smoking cannabis you're trying to get high, as long as you get high you're happy out. Although vaping just cannabis you do miss the nicotine. It's been probably ten years since I tried vaping cannabis in Amsterdam and I remember it being nice, it was almost juicy, you really got a strong flavour with none of the nastiness of smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jh79

Surprised there isn't more discussion on the recent clinical trial, the best evidence yet of effectiveness in reducing seizures in Dravet Syndrome.

http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=203871

Here is an interview with the head of the study. Looks promising but not a game changer.

#"I am very positive and excited about the results of this study, but I think it's important that people recognize that this is not a panacea. Many children did not benefit from the drug, and some had side effects that were troublesome."#

Here is what Vera had to say;

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cannabis-medicine-offers-hope-on-epilepsy-450925.html

#She explains: "We were offered a trial of Epidiolex about two and a half years ago.

We were very excited at the time about the trial. But unfortunately, or fortunately, as it turned out we lost our place on the trial to a child from England."

Ms Twomey, from Aghabullogue, County Cork, said the particular form of the drug at the centre of the study two and a half years ago would have been unsuitable for Ava because of the side-effects: “We are looking for medicinal THC to complement the medicinal CBD that she is on on the moment."#

She is happy she didn't get a place in a trial that offered a 5% chance of being seizure free! Poor kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭theValheru853

jh79 wrote:
    She is happy she didn't get a place in a trial that offered a 5% chance of being seizure free! Poor kid.

Maybe not, from what i heard the trial was a dud. The medicine was very ineffective and has severe side effects.
    Yet its still being considered being legalised over here.

Maybe not, from what i heard the trial was a dud. The medicine was very ineffective and has severe side effects.
    Yet its still being considered being legalised over here.

It was only published this week , what was wrong with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's been probably ten years since I tried vaping cannabis in Amsterdam and I remember it being nice, it was almost juicy, you really got a strong flavour with none of the nastiness of smoke.

this is what i absolutely love about vaping the stuff, after a few weeks of no tobacco and you get your taste buds back i find vaping some quality herb is a truly mouthwatering experience :)
    jh79 wrote: »

5% success rate = 95% chance of failure, that's not even worth considering the risks of trialing a new drug, not in a million years would i consider those odds for my daughter!

pure.conya wrote: »

5% success rate = 95% chance of failure, that's not even worth considering the risks of trialing a new drug, not in a million years would i consider those odds for my daughter!

If you're the type of person that believes everything you read / see on the internet then you probably believed CBD was some sort of miracle cure but the rest of us see the result as quite interesting.

Vera is waiting for hand pressed free range organic cbd oil delivered by unicorns cause she seen it was the best on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

This is a logical step, albeit a difficult one. She was offered the finances by someone on the radio during one of her many interviews a while back, but declined the generous offer, now, maybe, she may get what she is looking for.
    She needs to do some research as to where others have gone and follow their lead. Hopefully for their child this route will be more successful in obtaining treatment than her methods up to now.

• Advertisement

Hi Everybody,

It looks like that the report stage from the Dail Health Committee in regards to Medicinal Cannabis Bill will be now issued sometime in the second or third week of June. What that report recommends will be either to bring it to the next stage of the process or recommend that it goes no further. All indications is that it will be the latter. If it is to recommend that it goes no further we'll push it to a Dail debate and possible vote. This is on the backdrop that Vera Twomey announced yesterday in Tralee that she has been left with no alternative but to travel abroad with Ava to seek treatment in the very near future. We'll Keep Moving Forward! MIM- MIH For All.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/CllrGinoKenny/posts/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Why are professionals like this not accused of lying?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnVisZVZfHc

kleefarr wrote: »

Lying about what? I'm listening to it now, nothing controversial so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Lying about what? I'm listening to it now, nothing controversial so far.

The fact that she is sayng that CBD and THC kill cancer cells?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

they do. as do lots of other things. killing cancer cells is not that difficult. the trick is to not kill the healthy cells at the same time.

No one has said it doesn't kill cancer cells in the lab. It also causes breast cancer cells to grow in the lab too as mentioned in your video (does that mean it causes breast cancer?).

But it is a lie to say that this proves it is a cure for cancer.

These are only pre-clinical studies. Only one clinical trial has taken place in humans and they all died of...wait for it.... cancer! Bit of a crap cure wouldn't you agree?

Errrmm...

Because she is not lying..

[...]

These are only pre-clinical studies. Only one clinical trial has taken place in humans and they all died of...wait for it.... cancer! Bit of a crap cure wouldn't you agree?

Lets put that into context a little.
    The patients in that trial were at an advanced stage of Glioblastoma, one of the most aggressive forms of brain cancer to have, with very high mortality rates and very very low long term survival rates, even after being treated with the very best of todays modern gold standard treatments.
    I cannot find the link at the moment to the trial report, but IIRC, it said that the cannabinoid treatment had extentended the mean average life for some of the patients, I can't remember the figures, but it was good few of them.
    The trial was not considered a failure as positive results were obtained from it. It was a first step in the right direction.
    This is why GW Pharma are now working with Cristina Sanchez's team to bring more human trials forward.
    If there was nothing in it why would they bother. Why their big investment in growing, harvesting and producing cannabis product.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Lets put that into context a little.
    The patients in that trial were at an advanced stage of Glioblastoma, one of the most aggressive forms of brain cancer to have, with very high mortality rates and very very low long term survival rates, even after being treated with the very best of todays modern gold standard treatments.
    I cannot find the link at the moment to the trial report, but IIRC, it said that the cannabinoid treatment had extentended the mean average life for some of the patients, I can't remember the figures, but it was good few of them.
    The trial was not considered a failure as positive results were obtained from it. It was a first step in the right direction.
    This is why GW Pharma are now working with Cristina Sanchez's team to bring more human trials forward.
    If there was nothing in it why would they bother. Why their big investment in growing, harvesting and producing cannabis product.

The context here is claims of a cancer cure yet everyone died of cancer.

The study itself had 9 people in it. Its purpose was to test the shunt / brain surgery required to overcome issues regarding poor potency / bioavailability with the drug.

All died within the expected time frame for that cancer. The average was 24 weeks but two lived for a year as far as i can remember.

GW will recover any R&D losses from successful products. Only a tiny % of research will result in an actual medicine. Odds are nothing will come of it.

http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2012/07/25/cannabis-cannabinoids-and-cancer-the-evidence-so-far/#can-treat

Results have been published from only one clinical trial testing whether cannabinoids can treat cancer in patients, led by Dr Manuel Guzman and his team in Spain. Nine people with advanced, terminal glioblastoma multiforme – an aggressive brain tumour – were given highly purified THC through a tube directly into their brain.

Eight people’s cancers showed some kind of response to the treatment, and one didn’t respond at all. All the patients died within a year, as might be expected for people with cancer this advanced.

The results from this study show that THC given in this way is safe and doesn’t seem to cause significant side effects. But because this was an early stage trial, without a control group, it’s impossible to say whether THC helped to extend their lives. And while it’s certainly not a cure, the trial results suggest that cannabinoids are worth pursuing in clinical trials.

• Advertisement

Vera is on tv3 news soon.

Nothing too exciting she is going abroad to show there is a clinical benefit to thc and cbd combined as requested by the HPRA.

Finally doing the right thing but i hope she has realistic expectations.

The cbd oil was the "cure" 2 years ago , now thc/cbd oil is the "cure" and i'm sure it will be "cured" again with some new incarnation. Surely she's spotted the pattern by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Nothing too exciting she is going abroad to show there is a clinical benefit to thc and cbd combined as requested by the HPRA.

Finally doing the right thing but i hope she has realistic expectations.

The cbd oil was the "cure" 2 years ago , now thc/cbd oil is the "cure" and i'm sure it will be "cured" again with some new incarnation. Surely she's spotted the pattern by now

I don't think she's looking for an outright cure though, I think it's just to relieve the kid's symptoms.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I don't think she's looking for an outright cure though, I think it's just to relieve the kid's symptoms.

Have a look at her twitter cannabis cures all and it s all a big pharma conspiracy.

jh79 wrote:
    It was only published this week , what was wrong with it?

Terrible side effects from the trial and one child on it died

jh79 wrote:
    Vera is waiting for hand pressed free range organic cbd oil delivered by unicorns cause she seen it was the best on youtube.

She has access to CBD oil but the THC content is too low to control her daughters siezures.
    It's access to cannabis oil with a higher THC content that she is looking for.

jh79 wrote:

She has....the CBD oil alone has reduced her daughters siezures but she needs a slightly higher THC content to eliminate them completly.

jh79 wrote:
    Have a look at her twitter cannabis cures all and it s all a big pharma conspiracy.

And she is probably right. A bit like the cervical cancer vaccine that is being pushed on young girls by the government without giving the parents all the proper information. Then the government throws a strop because the parents are asking questions the government and the HPRA dont want to answer.

Terrible side effects from the trial and one child on it died

Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick , you are just saying the results didn't live up to your expectation not that it was poorly designed?

• Advertisement

She has access to CBD oil but the THC content is too low to control her daughters siezures.
    It's access to cannabis oil with a higher THC content that she is looking for.

But she has no clinical data to support this claim. That's why she is leaving the country. She has zero evidence that higher thc will help her daughter.

Advertisement