Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis/Hemp Products/Medicinal/Legal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭theValheru853

jh79 wrote:
    So why can't she get the dispensation like the other family?

Why should she need to go abroad in the first place.
    By the way, she had met the other family and Ms Cahalane asked them to sign a non disclosure agreement. They refused to sign because they said that if another family came to them for help they would help.

Now Ms Cahalane has the dispensation while Vera has been campaigning to get medicinal cannabis for everyone and has been trying since day one to get dispensation and you would know that if you had been following her progress.

The goal posts kept being moved on the child and as far as I can see Vera has made such a racket that God himself could sign of to oversee the Ava if she returns to Ireland and Simon Harris still would not give the ministerial dispensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Why should she need to go abroad in the first place.
    By the way, she had met the other family and Ms Cahalane asked them to sign a non disclosure agreement. They refused to sign because they said that if another family came to them for help they would help.

Now Ms Cahalane has the dispensation while Vera has been campaigning to get medicinal cannabis for everyone and has been trying since day one to get dispensation and you would know that if you had been following her progress.

The goal posts kept being moved on the child and as far as I can see Vera has made such a racket that God himself could sign of to oversee the Ava if she returns to Ireland and Simon Harris still would not give the ministerial dispensation.

It's Vera refusal to meet the conditions of the dispendation scheme that is causing the delay. Hardly the ministers fault. He can only approve a dispensation that has all the necessary clinical evidence. At least she eventually saw sense and is finally in the process of getting that clinical data. It took Ms. Cahalane a year so its likely Vera needs to do the same.

No matter what spin you put on it , she chose to waste a year campaigning for a bill that was never going to succeed and whose true aim was decriminalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Snipp

Do people not realise that Sativex is a legal prescription medication in Ireland? All the supposed "medical" benefits of cannabis extract in an oromucosal spray. These people just want to smoke it to get high and are using the "medicinal" angle as justification.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Snipp wrote: »
    Do people not realise that Sativex is a legal prescription medication in Ireland? All the supposed "medical" benefits of cannabis extract in an oromucosal spray. These people just want to smoke it to get high and are using the "medicinal" angle as justification.

A certain amount will inevitably want to use prescribed cannabis to get high, just as part of the push to have all drugs re-legalised is just about people wanting access to pharmaceutical quality narcotics without having to deal with criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 potatohouse

Snipp wrote: »

your point being?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

gctest50 wrote: »

Apart from chronic pain the same as the HPRA recommendations.

Glioma's have come up on this thread before and Gino and Vera have highlighted the case of a guy from Athlone who has gone to the Kapla "clinic" for treatment instead of chemo.

Here is Science Based Medicine take on it.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/hash-oil-for-gliomas-what-would-you-do/

Also came across this study on the SBM website.

It shows that cannabis compounds cause an immune response that promotes cancer cell growth.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/101124214728.htm

Looks like SF and FF have had a change of heart and might support the bill according to Ruth Coppinger on twitter.

jh79 wrote: »
    Looks like SF and FF have had a change of heart and might support the bill according to Ruth Coppinger on twitter.

https://www.facebook.com/gino.kenny.9/posts/10155915134271457

• Advertisement

Seanachai wrote: »

Will SF / FF allow chronic pain is what it all boils down to now. I think they will.

Will SF / FF allow chronic pain is what it all boils down to now. I think they will.

They would look callous if they didn't I think

Seanachai wrote: »
    They would look callous if they didn't I think

While the HPRA's objection to chronic pain is valid from a scientific point of view, i don't think it will be enough to stop td 's going along with the general public on this.

Wonder how the PBP will play this? Do they just fight for chronic pain and get the bill passed quickly or fight over every ammendment and delay the process?

It could be like this - nice n simple n safe :)

While the HPRA's objection to chronic pain is valid from a scientific point of view, i don't think it will be enough to stop td 's going along with the general public on this.

Wonder how the PBP will play this? Do they just fight for chronic pain and get the bill passed quickly or fight over every ammendment and delay the process?

It's hard to know what approach they'll take, I think we're heading into the re-legalisation of drugs to be honest, there's a growing number of advocates for it in the medical and political world. There would still be a pretty strong resistance among voters of a certain age in this country, I suspect that my generation and the upcoming one will be much more open to the idea though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/19/prince-williams-asks-whether-britian-should-legalise-drugs/

"Irish patients obtaining cannabis from their doctors will only be allowed to consume the drug via vaping or eating"

https://www.thesun.ie/news/1807835/law-to-legalise-medical-cannabis-only-went-forward-after-reference-to-smoking-was-removed-from-the-bill/

A bit vague on detail but looks like chronic pain will be allowed.

Chronic pain is definitely happening. This company claims to have the licence to administer it.

https://www.chronicpain.ie/about-us/news/cpi-instrumental-securing-licence-minister-health-treat-chronic-pain-cannabis

Chronic pain is definitely happening. This company claims to have the licence to administer it.

https://www.chronicpain.ie/about-us/news/cpi-instrumental-securing-licence-minister-health-treat-chronic-pain-cannabis

So it's a medicine now ?

Grand

gctest50 wrote: »
    So it's a medicine now ?

Grand

No, still not an approved medicine. Just like it's not in the US, Canada, Spain etc etc. Only an option if the approved medicine is used first and doesn't work. Hardly on a level footing with approved medicine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭mulbot

No, still not an approved medicine. Just like it's not in the US, Canada, Spain etc etc. Only an option if the approved medicine is used first and doesn't work. Hardly on a level footing with approved medicine.

If the cannabis works after the "approved" medicine hasn't,how would you view the cannabis as a medicine?

mulbot wrote: »
    If the cannabis works after the "approved" medicine hasn't,how would you view the cannabis as a medicine?

You're essentially describing a phase II clincal trial. So holding it to the same standard as any other proposed medicine i'd say it has potential but further research needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

It relaxes mind and body and can create hunger pangs, this alone qualifies it as a medicine imo.

For example megace is used post cancer treatment to create hunger, ativan to ease the mind and body, magnesium for cramps, I could go on.

That is not getting near any placebo effect, which is also a very valuable part of recovery, that cannabis medicines could have.

Don't think patients should smoke it though, it should take a tablet/capsule form.

You're essentially describing a phase II clincal trial. So holding it to the same standard as any other proposed medicine i'd say it has potential but further research needed.

And how would you view the "medicine" that didn't work?

And how would you view the "medicine" that didn't work?

You're assuming that approved medicine is always 100% effective, it's not, so it changes nothing.

You're assuming that approved medicine is always 100% effective, it's not, so it changes nothing.

I'm not assuming anything. I'm only asking how you would view the "medicine" that didn't work.,what if it continued to show less effective results than cannabis?

I'm not assuming anything. I'm only asking how you would view the "medicine" that didn't work.,what if it continued to show less effective results than cannabis?

The effectiveness of these medicines has already been shown and in studies were found to be more effective and with less side effects than cannabis.

Canabis won't work for over 40% of those with chronic pain either.

I don't see what point you are trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Canabis won't work for over 40% of those with chronic pain either.

Pain is very subjective. Better perhaps to take the view from that that it works for up to 40% of patients with chronic pain. Even if it only gave relief to 1 patient in 100 suffering from chronic pain, that patient should have that relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Big step today First licence granted to treat pain with cannabis :)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/first-licence-granted-to-treat-pain-with-cannabis-463088.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

What would be "chronic" pain exactly?

Advertisement