Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis/Hemp Products/Medicinal/Legal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Pain that lasts longer than 3-6 months , such as nerve damage, disc disease, arthritis, burns, pelvic infections, scarring, or cancer pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Better start my weekly trip to the doctor complaining of back pain so. Starting this week 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I’m all for legalizing medicinal cannibas so that likes of little Ava Barry don’t have to leave their homes and travel to the ends of the earth for treatment.

But I couldn’t in good conscience agree a total legalization of any drug currently illegal. I’d hate to see us become a nation of drugged up zombies and addicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I’m all for legalizing medicinal cannibas so that likes of little Ava Barry don’t have to leave their homes and travel to the ends of the earth for treatment.

But I couldn’t in good conscience agree a total legalization of any drug currently illegal. I’d hate to see us become a nation of drugged up zombies and addicts.

Drugged up lol

The gateway effect to stronger illicit drugs is via skanky drug dealers who introduce drug users to stronger highs to make more money. Weed users do not go in the main out seeking the stronger high (unless it is stronger weed).

A pharmacist is not going to say to little johnny, 'have you tried this' wink wink, and give him morphine instead of weed to up his profits.

We already have a boozed up zombies and addicts and we need to help move them onto somthing less destructive to our society, like say weed.....

If you are happy/have sympathy for little Ava, what about poor aould big Johnny?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭mulbot

Eh has Alcohol not already taken charge of that?

• Advertisement

Doctors have taken care of that already , any zombies dribbling around my town are hooked on xanax, valium, metadone, sleeping pills and the worst of all on our society, alcohol.

I find this kinda strange since I know plenty of people who lead productive lives while being stoners. It's kinda difficult to be a drugged up zombie all the time with the standard costs associated with being an adult. Sure, some people are wasters but they're likely to be wasters with or without access to cannabis.

As for addicts, it would be no different to tobacco smokers. The dependency is mostly mental, and from what I've read, the numbers of those claiming an 'addiction' to cannabis are very small...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jh79

Interesting article in the Sun today;

https://www.thesun.ie/news/1827866/labour-leader-brendan-howlin-declares-support-for-full-decriminalisation-of-cannabis-possession-in-ireland/

Labour party are putting a bill together to decriminalise marijuana possession and will be presenting it in the next few weeks.

But later in the piece was the following about Gino's Bill;

Government sources were more pessimistic than Howlin noting: ‘‘Gino is living in fantasy land if he thinks this bill will go anywhere.

‘‘We are only taking it into the committee to keep him calm.

‘‘Once it’s there we will drown it behind closed doors’’.

In an indication of the difficulties the new alliance of Mr Howlin and Mr Kenny will face, a senior Fine Gael Minister also warned: ‘‘Fine Gael is in enough trouble as it is; if you think we are going to be the party who legalised joints in this country there are two chances, slim and none. And slim has just left
    town’’.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 potatohouse

is this satire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

jh79 wrote: »
    Interesting article in the Sun today;

https://www.thesun.ie/news/1827866/labour-leader-brendan-howlin-declares-support-for-full-decriminalisation-of-cannabis-possession-in-ireland/

Labour party are putting a bill together to decriminalise marijuana possession and will be presenting it in the next few weeks.

But later in the piece was the following about Gino's Bill;

Government sources were more pessimistic than Howlin noting: ‘‘Gino is living in fantasy land if he thinks this bill will go anywhere.

‘‘We are only taking it into the committee to keep him calm.

‘‘Once it’s there we will drown it behind closed doors’’.

In an indication of the difficulties the new alliance of Mr Howlin and Mr Kenny will face, a senior Fine Gael Minister also warned: ‘‘Fine Gael is in enough trouble as it is; if you think we are going to be the party who legalised joints in this country there are two chances, slim and none. And slim has just left
    town’’.

It could well be blocked but the cat is out of the bag at this stage, the children of the people they are scared of upsetting are either apathetic towards cannabis or actually pro legalisation.

• Advertisement

Seanachai wrote: »
    It could well be blocked but the cat is out of the bag at this stage, the children of the people they are scared of upsetting are either apathetic towards cannabis or actually pro legalisation.

Depends who they vote for. Most younger voters pick SF. They won't be in power any time soon and are probably against legalisation anyways. A vote for the PBP is a wasted vote too. A joke of a party.

That leaves the Labour Party as the only viable option with their decrimilisation bill.

Not holding my breath on this but you never know.

I'm a fianna fail voter but I would certainly be in favour of decriminalization and full legalisation even. I won't vote for a certain party if they are pro legalisation though. It's only a matter of time, maybe 10 more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Article in the star Today about a polish guy caught growing 38k’s worth of weed for “medicinal purposes”.

He got off with a suspended sentence.

We all know the Gardai tend to inflate the value of what they find but even when you take that in to account this guy is very lucky to walk away..

Sign of things to come hopefuly..

Maybe the futility of banning a plant is finally sinking in..

Swanner wrote: »
    Article in the star Today about a polish guy caught growing 38k’s worth of weed for “medicinal purposes”.

He got off with a suspended sentence.

We all know the Gardai tend to inflate the value of what they find but even when you take that in to account this guy is very lucky to walk away..

Sign of things to come hopefuly..

Maybe the futility of banning a plant is finally sinking in..

Lad in the local paper yesterday caught with 8 grams (100e worth) and gardai valued it at 1700e. You wouldn't even make anywhere near that no matter how you sell it.

38k is probably a kilo which is a lot for personal use, but not much really

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

iv read replies from last week but have not come across people who suffer from cronic pain.
    I suffer from RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS have had both hips replaced and am now looking at my knees eventually, most mornings i can barely walk till i stock up on pain killers that are prescribed for severe pain. Would not wish it on my worst enemy.
    I take a concoction of tablets from anti-inflammatory to pain killers daily and weekly being Methotrexate. I can tell you my stomach is never the best
    I have never used recreational drugs in my life and that is long.Iv read the article in the Examiner with interest and then did some Google researcher on the subject and was amazed at what research is out there. Next time i see my Consultant which is January i will ask if he can obtain it for me,don't think my MD can do so.
    Not everyone is a stoner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

It's futile.

Impossible%20drug%20war_zpsfkzibuzy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Rubbish. As America has shown, most of the drugged up zombies and addicts are in that state due to legal drugs. Even most people using heroin started out on prescription opioids these days.

There have been absolutely no documented downsides to legalising marijuana in the states that have done so (except for the alcohol and prescription drug companies maybe) and many benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

One benefit :

https://news.unm.edu/news/study-finds-medical-cannabis-is-effective-at-reducing-opioid-addiction

A new study conducted by researchers at The University of New Mexico, involving medical cannabis and prescription opioid use among chronic pain patients, found a distinct connection between having the legal ability to use cannabis and significant reductions in opioid use.

gctest50 wrote: »
    One benefit :

https://news.unm.edu/news/study-finds-medical-cannabis-is-effective-at-reducing-opioid-addiction

A new study conducted by researchers at The University of New Mexico, involving medical cannabis and prescription opioid use among chronic pain patients, found a distinct connection between having the legal ability to use cannabis and significant reductions in opioid use.

It's only a possible benefit. Further research is needed as explained in the article. Other studies have shown only a modest reduction in pain, the study only lasted 2 years, they could easily return to opioids if the pain relief lessens over time.

The evidence for its use in chronic pain is still weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Criminalisation is counter-productive to education on the matter. Most people who smoke are not causing deliberate harm to others, or necessarily shirking responsibilities, so it is also ethically wrong. However it can in actuality cause harm to others because of the significant risk of mental illness, which can cause distress to others, and can have a significant social cost.

• Advertisement

Criminalisation is counter-productive to education on the matter. Most people who smoke are not causing deliberate harm to others, or necessarily shirking responsibilities, so it is also ethically wrong. However it can in actuality cause harm to others because of the significant risk of mental illness, which can cause distress to others, and can have a significant social cost.

A link with mental illness has not been proven. While there is a correlation, it is possible that those with mental illnesses are just more drawn to smoking rather than marijuana actually causing mental illness .

A link with mental illness has not been proven. While there is a correlation, it is possible that those with mental illnesses are just more drawn to smoking rather than marijuana actually causing mental illness .

There's strong evidence it can lead to psychosis in a large portion of people who would not have an underlying mental health issue. Everybody knows people can get paranoid when smoking, but other psychotic symptoms such as hearing voices are also common (15% of users in a sample)

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/178/2/116.full-text.pdf+html

It can also lead to episodes in people with latent or stable psychiatric disorders, with schizophrenics being particularly vulnerable. The social cost of schizophrenic episodes can be significant.

Lastly it can lead to dependence with chronic use.

Some people use it regularly and are fine. Some people smoke tobacco regularly and die of unrelated causes. Doesn't mean there's no risk.

There's strong evidence it can lead to psychosis in a large portion of people who would not have an underlying mental health issue. Everybody knows people can get paranoid when smoking, but other psychotic symptoms such as hearing voices are also common (15% of users in a sample)

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/178/2/116.full-text.pdf+html

It can also lead to episodes in people with latent or stable psychiatric disorders, with schizophrenics being particularly vulnerable. The social cost of schizophrenic episodes can be significant.

Lastly it can lead to dependence with chronic use.

Some people use it regularly and are fine. Some people smoke tobacco regularly and die of unrelated causes. Doesn't mean there's no risk.

There is strong evidence of a correlation between the two but not causation.

There is strong evidence of a correlation between the two but not causation.
    Not sure which point you're responding to, but anyway...

You cannot prove it doesn't cause it. Therefore since there is a correlation, then there is risk that it causes it.

My perception is that its criminalisation encourages users to be close-minded to risks with it.

Not sure which point you're responding to, but anyway...

You cannot prove it doesn't cause it. Therefore since there is a correlation, then there is risk that it causes it.

My perception is that its criminalisation encourages users to be close-minded to risks with it.

I don't think people are closed minded to the risks, the scientific consesus is that the risks associated with marijuana are minor. The scientific and public perception on the risks of marijuana are pretty much the same.

It's the benefits of marijuana where the disparity between the scientific evidence and public perception is huge.

I wonder if medical cannabis products were available in a non smokeabale tablet form, could that be an issue for anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Oldtree wrote: »
    I wonder if medical cannabis products were available in a non smokeabale tablet form, could that be an issue for anyone?

A lot of people just have the Oirland-is-a-special-snowflake thing

It's green everywhere else, so if someone could breed a strain with red blue leaves it'd be fine with them

They already are. Sativex is approved for use in Ireland. It just costs too much.

The issue is the lack of proper evidence for the claimed benefits, especially for the whole plant.

If you are using it for medical reasons why would you smoke it?? It is the least efficient means of administration.

If you are using it for medical reasons why would you smoke it?? It is the least efficient means of administration.

I would think for the immediaticy of the sought pain relief. Tablets have to be digested and can take time to do so and when in pain time is of the essence. I would equate this point with waiting for a paracetamol to digest while having serious bony pain and getting the paracetamol iv (in hospital) and getting instant relief.

Smoking cannabis can't be good long term and I would presume it has carcinogens similar to tobacco (perhaps not exactly the same). Pipes with tar traps and vaporizers can mitigate some of this but are not long term medical solutions. If you are already sick you do not need your lungs compromised further.

Eating cannabis from a non medical source also has the possibilities of unsavoury ingredients, so that's not ideal either for sick people.

• Advertisement

I would think for the immediaticy of the sought pain relief. Tablets have to be digested and can take time to do so and when in pain time is of the essence. I would equate this point with waiting for a paracetamol to digest while having serious bony pain and getting the paracetamol iv (in hospital) and getting instant relief.

Smoking cannabis can't be good long term and I would presume it has carcinogens similar to tobacco (perhaps not exactly the same). Pipes with tar traps and vaporizers can mitigate some of this but are not long term medical solutions. If you are already sick you do not need your lungs compromised further.

Eating cannabis from a non medical source also has the possibilities of unsavoury ingredients, so that's not ideal either for sick people.

Consistency with dosage is required for medicine. You don't get that with smoking.

Advertisement