Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis/Hemp Products/Medicinal/Legal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

jh79 wrote: »
    I don't think people are closed minded to the risks, the scientific consesus is that the risks associated with marijuana are minor. The scientific and public perception on the risks of marijuana are pretty much the same.

It's the benefits of marijuana where the disparity between the scientific evidence and public perception is huge.
    I disagree that the risk is minor and that it is sufficiently appreciated by smokers in general.

Exploiting medical benefits is also negatively impacted by criminalisation, because it creates a stigma. Afaik most medical benefits are associated with cbd, which is considered to have protective properties in relation to psychiatric health. Medical marajuana products are available which contain this but negligible amounts of thc. Thc is what is considered to have psychiatric health risks associated with it. It is also what makes people stoned. Medical marajuana is available which is high in thc and will make you stoned. I don't know yo what extent that is indicated by medical benefits, and what extent it is just a way to attain recreational drugs legally.

It's not what I was talking about in any case. Street drugs are generally more dangerous because they generally have a high thc to cbd ratio.

Cannabis use is the number one cause of readmissions to psychiatric hospitals. Most people who smoke cannabis will avoid major ill effects, but I disagree that the risk is minor, because some people experience grievious ill effects. A common issue is a failure to accept that they cannot safely smoke cannabis, and thus recurrent episodes occur as a result of continuing to do this. A common social perception that it's pretty harmless is a big factor with this.

People in general are cavalier with cannabis use. 15% of users have had auditory hallucinations. That should be a big alarm bell saying stop right there. Many more experience paranoia; again the sensible reaction is to reconsider if this is really for you.

That said, people can experience psychosis as a result of joking without encountering these sorts of warning signs beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I disagree that the risk is minor and that......

Well it may be better than being on other pain killers long-term whose side effect include :

Sensitivity from Opioid Pain Medicines

Long-term use of opioids may actually make painworse. This is called opioid-induced hyperalgesia. It happens when opioid use causes the body to be extrasensitive to usually non-painful things. Taking moreopioids will make pain worse or cause pain in other areas of the body.

Accidental Overdose or Death

Patients taking opioids are at risk of accidental overdose or death. It is very dangerous to combine opioids with other medicines or drugs that cause sleepiness, such as the following:
    • Alcohol
    • Certain anti-anxiety and seizure medications
    • Muscle relaxants
    • Sleep aids

Lung and Heart Problems
    Opioid use causes sedation and lessens the brain’s ability to control breathing, which can slow your breathing.
    Over time, this can damage the heart and lungs because you aren’t getting enough air.
    This risk goes up with higher doses of opioids

Constipation

Constipation means infrequent, hard bowel movements.It is one of the most common side effects of opioid use.
    Using laxatives or stool softeners is often the best way tomanage it.
    Other methods can relieve constipation if laxatives and stool softeners don’t help.
    These include suppositories,enemas, rectal irrigation, and manual evacuation.

Low Sex Hormones

Hormones such as testosterone and estrogen tend to be lower in patients taking opioids.
    In men, this can cause less sex drive or difficulty getting an erection.
    In women, menstrual cycles may stop during long-termuse of oral or skin patch opioids.

Dependence

If opioids are taken every day, you may becomephysically dependent. This means your body begins to rely on these medications.
    If they are suddenly stopped, the body will go through withdrawal. This is not dangerous, but it is very uncomfortable.
    It causes you to feel like you have the flu.
    Dependence is not something a patient can control.

Tolerance

Many patients taking opioids for chronic pain find they have to continually increase their dose to get the same pain relief. Over time, opioid receptors in the body become less sensitive to the drug. This is called tolerance.Taking higher doses of opioids leads to a greater riskof side effects. In addition, at some point even higher doses will not relieve pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

gctest50 wrote: »
    Well it may be better than being on other pain killers long-term whose side effect include :
    I agree with you but you didn't read my post.

Incidentally There's no need for thc content or smoking to get benefit of pain management from cannabis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Incidentally There's no need for thc content or smoking to get benefit of pain management from cannabis.

I suffer from neuralgia and have found very little relief from CBD by itself, I've tried the high quality brands. I don't use cannabis regularly, mostly because what's available is harmful to mental health. But when I've had access to high quality cannabis the pain relief is far superior to CBD alone, I know this is anecdotal, but it seems to be the experience of a lot of pain sufferers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭mulbot

I've found that having very low or no THC makes the oil much less effective.There is no comparison between proper oil and that CBD stuff you can buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jh79

Vera got the licence for Ava , it's on the six one news.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Vera got the licence for Ava , it's on the six one news.

Need to get on with it now and allow big Johnny the sympathetic relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

There'll be a few very disappointed shills this morning that a little girl got the help she needs thanks to the hard work of her parents and supporters. Finally she can come home again.

Jayop wrote: »
    There'll be a few very disappointed shills this morning that a little girl got the help she needs thanks to the hard work of her parents and supporters. Finally she can come home again.

Her parents / supporters were more of a hindrance to be fair.

Taken from Vera's twitter;

Its been Two Years of fighting Six months of Exile. But we are coming home. We love ye we are humbled by ye our..

She finally availed of a system that was always in place. Delayed her daughters treatment by a 1.5 years.

Next big question is what amendments are going to be made to the Cannabis Bill and can it be done before a General Election is called?

Her parents / supporters were more of a hindrance to be fair.

She put her money where her mouth was, so to speak.

Now medicinal cannabis is medicine

• Advertisement

Must be so sad for you. But keep on trotting out the party line good lad.

Must be so sad for you. But keep on trotting out the party line good lad.

Why, i have no problen with the compassionate access program.

Only thing i have a problem with is people pretending cannabis has medical properties that are not supported by evidence. Such as curing cancer, take it you haven't found that link yet!

She put her money where her mouth was, so to speak.

Now medicinal cannabis is medicine

She got the same licence as the previous family , there has been no change in its status.

She got the same licence as the previous family , there has been no change in its status.

How long are the licences available ?

Only thing i have a problem with is people pretending cannabis has medical properties that is not supported by evidence. Such as curing cancer, take it you haven't found that link yet!

Nice sane people here won't believe it cures cancer until they see a bit of proof !!!!!!!111!!!;

How long are the licences available ?

As long as the treatment works i'd imagine.

Only thing i have a problem with is people pretending cannabis has medical properties that are not supported by evidence. Such as curing cancer, take it you haven't found that link yet!
    Keep on copying and pasting from the company handbook while lying through your teeth about what has been said and what links have been shared repeatedly. You're a shocker.

Nice sane people here won't believe it cures cancer until they see a bit of proof !!!!!!!111!!!;

You'd hope so wouldn't you, but a lot of gullible types out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

who says that it cures cancer?

who says that it cures cancer?

That comment was for Jayop. He knows what i'm talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Is this just a once off kind of thing or will the floodgates open now and the likes of chronic rheumatoid arthritis sufferers get some treatment

Is this just a once off kind of thing or will the floodgates open now and the likes of chronic rheumatoid arthritis sufferers get some treatment

This is the 3rd licence to be granted.

Doubt those with arthritis will get any. The following is from the HPRA report;

The evidence is weak for the use of cannabis in inflammatory disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s Disease. In addition, the side effects are considered to be significant.

That comment was for Jayop. He knows what i'm talking about.

I know you've been talking out your arse since the day you signed up copy and pasting from a script and posting in a most dishonest way over and over. I have more respect for the dirt on my shoe than I have for people like you.

I know you've been talking out your arse since the day you signed up copy and pasting from a script and posting in a most dishonest way over and over. I have more respect for the dirt on my shoe than I have for people like you.

If you did a bit more research for your posts you wouldn't find yourself ranting as often as you do.

If you did a bit more research for your posts you wouldn't find yourself ranting as often as you do.

If you wouldn't blatantly lie over and over about what people said in an effort to deflect attention from anything that doesn't suit the company narrative that would be good.

If you wouldn't blatantly lie over and over about what people said in an effort to deflect attention from anything that doesn't suit the company narrative that would be good.

You're good for a laugh Jayop, what you lack in knowledge you make up for in enthusiasm / aggression.

Easy solution to this, post the mysterious link.

You're good for a laugh Jayop, what you lack in knowledge you make up for in enthusiasm / aggression.

Easy solution to this, post the mysterious link.

That's been posted and ignored so many times it's become a farce.

The real news here despite your attempts to derail are that a little girl is getting medicine that is vastly improving her life quality legally in Ireland. The case for medicinal cannabis being made available in Ireland is gathering steam and the bill thats there looks very likely to go to committee.

The vested interests are flapping.

That's been posted and ignored so many times it's become a farce.

The real news here despite your attempts to derail are that a little girl is getting medicine that is vastly improving her life quality legally in Ireland. The case for medicinal cannabis being made available in Ireland is gathering steam and the bill thats there looks very likely to go to committee.

The vested interests are flapping.

It's moving very very slowly.

Two years wasted by Vera , she still had to follow the same protocol as the families before her.

Gino's bill, assuming its not buried at the commitee stage or an election is called, will be completely unrecognisable from the original.

More rubbish about wasted two years to try and deflect. Can't you even pretend to be a real person with empathy and be happy that regardless a little sick girl will be able to come home now.

• Advertisement

More rubbish about wasted two years to try and deflect. Can't you even pretend to be a real person with empathy and be happy that regardless a little sick girl will be able to come home now.

As Vera said;

Two years fighting against six months of exile.

So if you want to be pedantic, 1.5 years wasted.

Advertisement