Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunting

• 23-10-2016 3:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Help please. I'm a 16 year old from Kerry. I'm 17 next month. Can I get a gun license? I read online that I can. And what is a good shotgun for hunting? Can I hunt for duck in Kerry? If not what can i hunt for here in Kerry? And what permission and permits would I need and what wwould the price be? And what's the price for the licence? I read it was 80 Euro but I'm not to sure.
    Also can you tell me the season dates.
    Could be next summer before I get setup.
    Any help will be appreciated ☺

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

First thing id say is try get in touch with your local gun club. You can get a gun at 16 and yes i'm sure there are plenty of ducks in Kerry. The local co op is always a good place to look and see who do you have to chat to about the GC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rorylad

First thing id say is try get in touch with your local gun club. You can get a gun at 16 and yes i'm sure there are plenty of ducks in Kerry. The local co op is always a good place to look and see who do you have to chat to about the GC.

Thank you! And yeah plenty of ducks here! I'd say my mom will be happy with that haha

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Welcome to the forum Rorylad.
    Rorylad wrote: »
    Help please. I'm a 16 year old from Kerry. I'm 17 next month. Can I get a gun license?
    You can get a training license from 14, and a full license from 16. So yes you can get a license as of now.
    And what is a good shotgun for hunting?
    I'd say to look at an Over/Under (O/U).

They are cheap to buy, easy to license, and can easily accommodate most any type of shooting you could want in Ireland. Second hand you can buy from €300 up, and new from €550 up. The prices can go as high as a good second hand car, but we'll keep it sensible for the purpose of the thread.

Look at Baikal, Lanber, Yildiz for those in the €300 - €550 mark (second hand) or €550 - €750 new. Then if you want to go for something a little nicer look at Bettinsoli, Browning, Winchester for guns in the €450 - €850 mark (second hand) or €750 - €1,400 mark(new).

The most important part of picking a gun is fit. A shotgun must come up well with a good shoulder and be natural for your point of aim. Always bring someone with you that knows about the various guns. They'll keep you grounded and help you decide on something suitable rather than one that looks good, but doesn't really fit you. Nothing worse than buying a gun and it won't shoot right for you because it doesn't fit you right.
    Can I hunt for duck in Kerry?
    No reason why not, as long as you have permission for the lands you shoot on.
    If not what can i hunt for here in Kerry?
    Once you have permission for the lands you're on you can shoot/hunt rabbits, crows, pigeons, pheasants, foxes, etc, etc. Basically anything in season, under derogation, and those with no season (commonly called vermin).
    And what permission and permits would I need and what wwould the price be?
    The two most common hunting licenses are deer and foreshore licenses. Any other type of shooting needs only your firearms license, and permission for the land you're on.

As such there is no fee or cost for hunting other than the actual firearms license.
    And what's the price for the licence?
    €80 for the license, and this is for 3 years.
    Also can you tell me the season dates.
    Deer
    • 1st September to 31st December. - Stags, Antlered Deer.
    • 1st November to 28th February. - Females, Antlerless deer.
    Hares
    • 26th September to 28th February
    Wildbird
    • Red Grouse - 1st September to 30th September
    • Mallard - 1st September to 31st January
    • Teal - 1st September to 31st January
    • Tufted Duck - 1st September to 31st January
    • Snipe - 1st September to 31st January
    • Jack Snipe - 1st September to 31st January
    • Golden Plover - 1st September to 31st January
    • Gadwall - 1st September to 31st January
    • Wigeon - 1st September to 31st January
    • Pintail - 1st September to 31st January
    • Shovellor - 1st September to 31st January
    • Scaup - 1st September to 31st January
    • Pochard - 1st September to 31st January
    • Goldeneye - 1st September to 31st January
    • Ruddy Duck - 1st September to 31st January
    • Red Legged Partridge - 1st November to 31st January
    • Cock Pheasant - 1st November to 31st January
    • Woodcock - 1st November to 31st January
    • Canada Geese (Countrywide) - 1st September to 15th October
    • Canada Geese (Cavan and Leitrim Only) Excluding Eonish Island, Rinn, Deramfield, and the River Shannon - 16th October to 31st January.
    • Greylag Geese - 1st Spetember to 15th October
    • Greylag Geese. (Lady's Island, Co. Wexford and Gearagh East & Gearagh West in Cork only) - 16th October to 31st January
    • Wood Pigeon - 1st November to 31st January
    Vermin (all year round)
    • Fox
    • Rabbit
    • Muntjac
    • Grey squirrel
    • Mink
    • Feral Goats
    Under Derogation (Otherwise Season runs 1st November to 31st January)
    • Grey Crows
    • Magpies
    • Pigeon
    • Feral Pigeon
    • Rooks
    • Jackdaws
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum Rorylad.

You can get a training license from 14, and a full license from 16. So yes you can get a license as of now.

I'd say to look at an Over/Under (O/U).

They are cheap to buy, easy to license, and can easily accommodate most any type of shooting you could want in Ireland. Second hand you can buy from €300 up, and new from €550 up. The prices can go as high as a good second hand car, but we'll keep it sensible for the purpose of the thread.

Look at Baikal, Lanber, Yildiz for those in the €300 - €550 mark (second hand) or €550 - €750 new. Then if you want to go for something a little nicer look at Bettinsoli, Browning, Winchester for guns in the €450 - €850 mark (second hand) or €750 - €1,400 mark(new).

The most important part of picking a gun is fit. A shotgun must come up well with a good shoulder and be natural for your point of aim. Always bring someone with you that knows about the various guns. They'll keep you grounded and help you decide on something suitable rather than one that looks good, but doesn't really fit you. Nothing worse than buying a gun and it won't shoot right for you because it doesn't fit you right.

No reason why not, as long as you have permission for the lands you shoot on.

Once you have permission for the lands you're on you can shoot/hunt rabbits, crows, pigeons, pheasants, foxes, etc, etc. Basically anything in season, under derogation, and those with no season (commonly called vermin).

The two most common hunting licenses are deer and foreshore licenses. Any other type of shooting needs only your firearms license, and permission for the land you're on.

As such there is no fee or cost for hunting other than the actual firearms license.

€80 for the license, and this is for 3 years.

Deer
    • 1st September to 31st December. - Stags, Antlered Deer.
    • 1st November to 28th February. - Females, Antlerless deer.
    Hares
    • 26th September to 28th February
    Wildbird
    • Red Grouse - 1st September to 30th September
    • Mallard - 1st September to 31st January
    • Teal - 1st September to 31st January
    • Tufted Duck - 1st September to 31st January
    • Snipe - 1st September to 31st January
    • Jack Snipe - 1st September to 31st January
    • Golden Plover - 1st September to 31st January
    • Gadwall - 1st September to 31st January
    • Wigeon - 1st September to 31st January
    • Pintail - 1st September to 31st January
    • Shovellor - 1st September to 31st January
    • Scaup - 1st September to 31st January
    • Pochard - 1st September to 31st January
    • Goldeneye - 1st September to 31st January
    • Ruddy Duck - 1st September to 31st January
    • Red Legged Partridge - 1st November to 31st January
    • Cock Pheasant - 1st November to 31st January
    • Woodcock - 1st November to 31st January
    • Canadian Geese (Countrywide) - 1st September to 15th October
    • Canadian Geese (Cavan and Leitrim Only) Excluding Eonish Island, Rinn, Deramfield, and the River Shannon - 16th October to 31st January.
    • Greylag Geese - 1st Spetember to 15th October
    • Greylag Geese. (Lady's Island, Co. Wexford and Gearagh East & Gearagh West in Cork only) - 16th October to 31st January
    • Wood Pigeon - 1st November to 31st January
    Vermin (all year round)
    • Fox
    • Rabbit
    • Muntjac
    • Grey squirrel
    • Mink
    • Feral Goats
    Under Derogation (Otherwise Season runs 1st November to 31st January)
    • Grey Crows
    • Magpies
    • Pigeon
    • Feral Pigeon
    • Rooks
    • Jackdaws

Thanks for all the info! Very helpful. After watching hunting videos and shooting someone's shotgun last year I've wanted to start hunting! Going to try get started in a few months. Do you buy the gun before you apply for the licence yeah? And can you buy gun safes that hold just the one gun? Now I just have to save which isn't my strong point haha. Thanks for the help everyone! Also do I have to do a gun training course before I get my first gun? Or can it be after it?

Do you buy the gun before you apply for the licence yeah?
    Once you have decided on the type of shooting you like, and a gun you want, you need to go out and find one. Go to as many registered firearm dealers (RFD) as you can. Do not rush the decision. It can be a long enough process to get the license so you cannot pick, choose, change your mind, pick, choose, change your mind once the license process has begun.
    Go out and try as many makes/models of the gun/caliber you would most like, but keep an open mind to others as sometimes you end up buying a gun you did not intend to buy.

Once you have a gun, make/model chosen you then need to apply for a license. The BIG RED ANNOUNCEMENT at the top of the main shooting page will give you all the basics. Anything else you need can be asked here. In short you need;
    • An FCA1 (application form)
    • Letter of sale from dealer with firearm details
    • Photos x 2
    • Referees to vouch for your character x 2
    • Medical details
    • In the case of a firearm for hunting land permissions or club membership (gun club, not a range).
    • Separate sheet of paper with an explanation as to why you want this firearm plus explanations for a mod (silencer) if you choose to get one.
    • A witness to sign the application.
    • All secure accommodation requirements (gun safe) in place as there is a box you must tick to say you have them in place.
    The application can take from 2 weeks to 3 months, and some have even waited up to a year for their license. It is meant to be done within a 3 month time period, but this does not always happen depending on which Garda district you are in.

Once a decision has been made you will receive a receipt letter followed shortly after by a grant letter (if successful) to say you have been granted the license. You can take this and pay your €80 at the post office and within 3-5 day your license will arrive in the post.
    And can you buy gun safes that hold just the one gun?
    No. Not that i've seen.

However you can buy shallow safes that are designed to hold shotguns. They usually come in 4 gun configuration. They're not overly expensive and you can pick them up second hand on our for sale section.
    Now I just have to save which isn't my strong point haha. Thanks for the help everyone!
    It can be a little costly to get started, but it's worth it. So is trying to save up for the right gun and doing it right, rather than what you can afford that may not suit. It'll teach you bad habits that may be hard to shake.

You might hear the expression "buy once, buy right". It's true, albeit easier said than done.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your help!
    I understand the whole process more now, thanks.

What would common reasons be for licences getting rejected?
    My brother who's over 18 has been in trouble with the guards alot so would that effect it? I personally have never been in trouble with them so should it be grand?

What would common reasons be for licences getting rejected?
    Criminal record, intemperate character, and a host of other reasons. Some not even related to the applicant (to an extent).
    My brother who's over 18 has been in trouble with the guards alot so would that effect it?
    Each application is judged on it's own merits. So they'll look at you, mostly. If your Brother lives in the same house as you they might increase the security requirements (such as a trigger lock, and a safe as a minimum) to make sure he has no access to the firearm (which he shouldn't have anyway, nor should anyone else).

However they can not reject you, based on your Brother's behaviour.
    but I personally have never been in trouble with them so should it be grand?
    Pretty much.

Even with a history with An Gardaí it does not mean you cannot have a firearm. They will judge it based on the incidents, any convictions, prison time, and if you have changed since the last offence.

Now none of this applies to you, but it's worthwhile remembering that a troublesome past does not necessarily preclude you from going for a firearm.

Cass wrote: »
    Criminal record, intemperate character, and a host of other reasons. Some not even related to the applicant (to an extent).

Each application is judged on it's own merits. So they'll look at you, mostly. If your Brother lives in the same house as you they might increase the security requirements (such as a trigger lock, and a safe as a minimum) to make sure he has no access to the firearm (which he shouldn't have anyway, nor should anyone else).

However they can not reject you, based on your Brother's behaviour.

Pretty much.

Even with a history with An Gardaí it does not mean you cannot have a firearm. They will judge it based on the incidents, any convictions, prison time, and if you have changed since the last offence.

Now none of this applies to you, but it's worthwhile remembering that a troublesome past does not necessarily preclude you from going for a firearm.

Okay that's grand so ☺
    Thanks for all your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭J.R.

Very well explained in those posts Cass...clear, concise and to the point with facts.
    Great information there for any beginner.

J.R. wrote: »
    Very well explained in those posts Cass...clear, concise and to the point with facts.
    Great information there for any beginner.

True! He helped me out alot.
    Btw when I get permission to hunt on land when applying for my license, if I get the licence can I hunt on different land if I get permission from the owner that day?

• Advertisement

Yes.

Two permissions are the standard for any application. However if you get more over time you can shoot these permissions also.

A limited certificate, in section 5 of the FCA1, is the only type of license that limits where you can shoot. However this does not concern you and should not be filled in.

Advertisement