Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instrumentation apprenticeship after being a qualified electrician

Options
  • 23-10-2016 6:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,
    Does fas credit time towards this apprenticeship if you are a qualified electrician and have some experience in the sector? Or would you have to start from 1st year and how easy is it to source a job in the sector. I have been away from Ireland for many years now. But I have covered Instrumentation both in maintenance in a diary plant and also in the oil and gas industry.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

Ya, iv got a degree in instrumentation and started an apprenticeship. I was able to get 9 months off my time, you should be pushing for a year.

There surely has to be a better way for you to get some sort of accreditation though, would be a total waste of a few years for you IMO.

I'm sure there is a 6 month course in Scotland or somewhere, other guys on here would be more knowledgeable in terms of that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Hello,
    Does fas credit time towards this apprenticeship if you are a qualified electrician and have some experience in the sector? Or would you have to start from 1st year and how easy is it to source a job in the sector. I have been away from Ireland for many years now. But I have covered Instrumentation both in maintenance in a diary plant and also in the oil and gas industry.
    Thanks.
    Why would you want to serve another apprenticeship?

Its not the same as doing an E&I apprenticeship but there are various courses you can do that will satisfy a lot of employers

there was one in FAS baldoyle supposed to be decent and you got C&G accredited qualifications out of it

these will be enough for some employers
    http://www.itcarlow.ie/public/userfiles/files/Certificate%20in%20Process%20Control%20&%20Instrumentation(3).pdf

http://www.itcarlow.ie/public/userfiles/files/Certificate%20in%20Fundamental%20PID%20Control(4).pdf

it really depends on the employer and your experience
    I know lots of electricians that are very good E&I tech's without any extra training just experience

Advertisement