Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coppers in Athlone

Options
  • 23-10-2016 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

Anyone hear that this is going to reopen, Piano Bar has the crowd now with the crowd completely different to that who were in Coppers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Havnt heard anything....note sure what the 2nd statement means.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

....note sure what the 2nd statement means.

Say it in a Biffo/South Westmeath accent.

In english, it means "Piano Bar is now the place where crowds go. However, the crowd that go there are not the same crowd as had previously frequented Coppers."

A Venn diagram showing "Piano Crowd" in Set A and "Coppers Crowd in Set B" would have helped also. The intersection (A N B) would have contained very few heads.

I might get a nixer as an Athlonian-English interpreter at this rate.

Say it in a Biffo/South Westmeath accent.

In english, it means "Piano Bar is now the place where crowds go. However, the crowd that go there are not the same crowd as had previously frequented Coppers."

A Venn diagram showing "Piano Crowd" in Set A and "Coppers Crowd in Set B" would have helped also. The intersection (A N B) would have contained very few heads.

I might get a nixer as an Athlonian-English interpreter at this rate.

Thank you my good sir.
    I couldn't speak/type in a Biffo accent....it would uncharacristic of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Well it's so long since I had a night out in Athlone I couldn't even tell you where the crowd goes anymore!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Well it's so long since I had a night out in Athlone I couldn't even tell you where the crowd goes anymore!

They go to seans the snug and the piano bar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

They go to seans the snug and the piano bar

Never saw the facination with Seans.
    It seemed to consistantly attract @rseholes, which was great cos it meant less of them around the other pubs :pac:

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Never saw the facination with Seans.
    It seemed to consistantly attract @rseholes, which was great cos it meant less of them around the other pubs :pac:

Grand for a Sunday afternoon pint in the bar...but Saturday nights in the beergarden it has turned into a dublin pub...they are pushing people out the back gates as soon as the band finishes....it's just a typical pub now with no character.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭VulcanRaving

I thought it was renamed 'Oppers?'
    Oh wait I remember now.. someone stole the C from their sign!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Havnt heard anything....note sure what the 2nd statement means.

"Classier" crowd,cough, in Piano bar compared to what went to Coppers!

Lt Dan wrote: »
    "Classier" crowd,cough, in Piano bar compared to what went to Coppers!

LOL....Wouldn't call the crowd that go to piano bar classy in any way.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

LOL....Wouldn't call the crowd that go to piano bar classy in any way.....

I never said "Classy". I said "classier" ..compared to ....

Sure we all know that the best and finest go to places like Gerties

Lt Dan wrote: »
    I never said "Classy". I said "classier" ..compared to ....

Sure we all know that the best and finest go to places like Gerties

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Amy enterprises

I'm thinking of taking over coppers in Athlone I need to know would many go to it would it be worth it and tell me something about it what do u remember it as - Amy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

It was a great spot. Way better than that horrible piano bar.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'm thinking of taking over coppers in Athlone I need to know would many go to it would it be worth it and tell me something about it what do u remember it as - Amy

How many would go? Probably every underage teenager in Athlone chancing their arm with new management.

I remember it as Ginkles, Bananafish Park, Pearls, Club Ginkles, Club Ginkles 2000 ... and having a cocktail bar and women dancing on podiums!
    Last time I was in it as Coppers there some some psycho looking lad hounding everyone to borrow money for the punching machine!

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    I remember it as Ginkles, Bananafish Park, Pearls, Club Ginkles, Club Ginkles 2000 ... and having a cocktail bar and women dancing on podiums!
    Last time I was in it as Coppers there some some psycho looking lad hounding everyone to borrow money for the punching machine!

You're old man.... Just old....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

You're old man.... Just old....

He also spelled Ginkels wrong if i'm not mistaken!

Back then, the Kaiser stole our word for Ginkels :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I do remember the day when Viva was Bozos and the older brothers would hoard cards from the place. I was only in it a few times prior to its name change. Never had the pleasure or misery of going to Ginkels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    I do remember the day when Viva was Bozos and the older brothers would hoard cards from the place. I was only in it a few times prior to its name change. Never had the pleasure or misery of going to Ginkels.

Ginkels and then a kebab over at Ryano's...

We still refer to it as Bozos, or rather "Bozos or whatever it's called now". Been a few years since I set a foot in there.

Is Karma in the Prince Hotel still open?

(I'm old and don't go out anymore!)

We still refer to it as Bozos, or rather "Bozos or whatever it's called now". Been a few years since I set a foot in there.

Is Karma in the Prince Hotel still open?

(I'm old and don't go out anymore!)

I believe Karma is still open. 2011 was the last time I set foot in a night club here in town or anywhere for that matter.

I believe Karma is still open. 2011 was the last time I set foot in a night club here in town or anywhere for that matter.
    I remember when Karma opened - it was such a big deal - you'd swear it was like a superclub in Ibiza!

Only time I've been in nightclubs the past few years is on hen parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

We called it nothing other than Wrinkles back in the day.

I remember when Karma opened - it was such a big deal - you'd swear it was like a superclub in Ibiza!

Only time I've been in nightclubs the past few years is on hen parties.

I had enough when I went to Bozos New Years 2011/12 and saw it was full of teens. Needless to say, I felt old and went home :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Ah Karma. I've been in there twice, and both times ended up in a big discussion about pro wrestling :pac: Yeah, I'm fairly sure it's still open, I was in Athlone a week or two ago and they still had the big arch up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Karma is still open, it still seems to be the most popular nightclub in town, I wouldn't be in it too often myself anymore!

Seems to be that "Bozos or whatever it's called now" (I got a great laugh out of that, because that's exactly what I call it) caters for the teenies, Karma is for those in their 20s/early 30s and everyone else goes to the Piano Bar.

...Seems to be that "Bozos or whatever it's called now" (I got a great laugh out of that, because that's exactly what I call it) caters for the teenies...

Not one, but 3 floors worth of teens every weekend. Thank feck the era of working as floor staff in hotels are long behind me. Could you imagine having to clean that place every weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Not one, but 3 floors worth of teens every weekend. Thank feck the era of working as floor staff in hotels are long behind me. Could you imagine having to clean that place every weekend?
    It'd be a fecking nightmare.

Advertisement