Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about flying Dublin to Melbourne next March

Options
  • 23-10-2016 11:39am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭

I'm flying to Melbourne for the 4th time next March , I'm going to go with Emirates or Ethiad and have a couple of questions

1. I already have Emirates Airmiles , can I use them against Ethiad flights ?

2. I'm booking through Kayak , what's the process of getting an aisle seat by the emergency exit door , I want extra leg room

3. Is it better to fly from Ireland at night or day ? The advantage of flying with ethiad in the morning is that I arrive in Melbourne at 23:00 , the late departure with Emirates from Dublin gets into Melbourne at 6am , it would be much better to arrive there at night I feel to get over jet lag

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Lukeskyrunner

I'm flying to Melbourne for the 4th time next March , I'm going to go with Emirates or Ethiad and have a couple of questions

1. I already have Emirates Airmiles , can I use them against Ethiad flights ?

2. I'm booking through Kayak , what's the process of getting an aisle seat by the emergency exit door , I want extra leg room

3. Is it better to fly from Ireland at night or day ? The advantage of flying with ethiad in the morning is that I arrive in Melbourne at 23:00 , the late departure with Emirates from Dublin gets into Melbourne at 6am , it would be much better to arrive there at night I feel to get over jet lag

Would appreciate some responses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Would appreciate some responses

1- no

2- upon check in I always picked my seats regardless of airline/booking engine , if you do it good and early you might get the extra legroom seats

3- depends if you're a jetlaggy type person, I arrived both morning and night times, never made much odds - I tended to take a heavy dose of valium and sleep through as much as possible of the flight time and just stay awake during connections.

The London to kl flight with Malaysia airlines is deadly for going to Melbourne, just a "short hop" over to melb after the beastly 14 hour first leg. This route Cost me 400e one way to melb from Dublin last year, hard beat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Why on earth would you think you can use airmiles between rival airlines?

What you could do if you have a substantial amount is book one outbound and inbound. We did it this way one time as my relative had won enough bonus points to cover Business class emirates one way, but only covered economy way back. She wanted business class way back so opted to pay extra on ethiad.

Personally I like getting in as early as possible and staying up as long as I can

Advertisement