Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A well known Tralee store.

Options
  • 23-10-2016 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Not long out of Examinership, some staff took redundancy, others sought the offer of reduced hours with a payment to do so, as offered, but this was refused.
    Unhappiness seems rife.
    Promotions, yet no advert for the position vacated, assumption amongst staff is that the post is being held back until one who is on a career break returns in January.
    Thought better of if you do next to nothing and take a year long career break to find yourself..
    Are the staff being pushed to a point, that they just leave and be replaced by the new cheager christmas temps?
    Is this happening in others firms?
    Do they only want part time staff and then only for a year then they can be replaced and keep the costs down.
    Anyone got a clue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Don't know the store but times are tough in retail and it sounds like the business is trying to keep its head above water. there is no requirement for a private company to advertise a job vacancy. Its their company and they can run it as they see fit within the law.

Sounds like many Irish family run places where they get as much work out of you as possible and then let you go.

I believe it is called "a sh1tty place to work"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

self employed here but labour cost are astromical in this country in my book .Does anyone here know the costs of prsi and usc to the employer to pay the minimum wage of €9 per hour.I dont mind but a lot of lads working in shops do as little as possible so hard to blame any business for not making staff full time

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

cute geoge wrote: »
    self employed here but labour cost are astromical in this country in my book .Does anyone here know the costs of prsi and usc to the employer to pay the minimum wage of €9 per hour.I dont mind but a lot of lads working in shops do as little as possible so hard to blame any business for not making staff full time
    Agreed cost of labour is huge but a business who doesn't hire or make staff full time on basis of sure they do as little as possible needs to look at way they run their business

Staff who under perform need to be managed either to improve or get their p45 . hard workers should be rewarded with full time positons where financially possible . managing and investing in staff (good and bad staff) is key to a business' success.

Either way I hope it works out for the staff in that store .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement