Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parental leave bank holidays

Options
  • 23-10-2016 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am hoping someone could help me. If you take parental leave that lands on a bank holiday eg st Patrick's day do you get paid for bank holiday? Or is it just lost?

In theory could mat leave finish just before Feb midterm, then you get paid for Feb mid term, then go on parental leave (4 weeks) until Easter holidays, then get paid for Easter hols (2 weeks) then go back to work for last term. 1st day back after Easter holidays?

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Not sure about the bank holiday part, but yes, you can take parental leave in blocks around mid terms, holidays etc so that you can get paid for the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

solerina wrote: »
    Not sure about the bank holiday part, but yes, you can take parental leave in blocks around mid terms, holidays etc so that you can get paid for the holidays.

Thanks a million.
    Do you know if I have to go into school last day to get paid for mid term or Easter?

Millem wrote: »
    Thanks a million.
    Do you know if I have to go into school last day to get paid for mid term or Easter?

No, you just specify the dates of your parental leave, one block ending the Friday of the break, the next block starting the first day back after the break etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Make sure you send the form to right dept of welfare branch.

As Payroll will deduct 230 Euro from your pay. Do not send them any forms on parental leave, they dont want to know about it.

solerina wrote: »
    No, you just specify the dates of your parental leave, one block ending the Friday of the break, the next block starting the first day back after the break etc.

Does parental leave not mon-sun like maternity leave?

• Advertisement

Not sure on that one, maybe one leave would end on Sunday, the next one would start a week later on the Monday. Either way you can still take it around holidays so to get paid for the holiday period

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭J.R.

No - it can be Wed. to Tues. or whatever day you begin parental leave.

However, it must be taken in blocks of ONE week.

So, if you went on PL on a Thursday it would run each week from Thursday to Wednesday.

If school finished on Friday for Easter holidays then your PL would finish on Wednesday of that week so you would be better off to stop it that day....... take two course days for Thursday & Friday or two unpaid leave days to bring you up to the break.
    Then continue your PL after the break, again in 5 day blocks.
    You then get paid for the break.

J.R. wrote: »
    No - it can be Wed. to Tues. or whatever day you begin parental leave.

However, it must be taken in blocks of ONE week.

So, if you went on PL on a Thursday it would run each week from Thursday to Wednesday.

If school finished on Friday for Easter holidays then your PL would finish on Wednesday of that week so you would be better off to stop it that day....... take two course days for Thursday & Friday or two unpaid leave days to bring you up to the break.
    Then continue your PL after the break, again in 5 day blocks.
    You then get paid for the break.

Ok that's good to know. Don't know dates for mid term feb 2018. Maybe same as this year?
    Don't know what our school will do about taking extra day around st Patricks day. Not getting one this year. If they did take one say on the Friday. Could I in theory say parental leave mon-thurs and then tues-fri. (Fri could be school day off and Monday is st Patricks day)?
    Are wages based over mon-sun? Or mon-fri? Mon-sat?
    Thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Stand. School Year hasn't been looked at for next September yet!

Ok that's good to know. Don't know dates for mid term feb 2018. Maybe same as this year?
    Don't know what our school will do about taking extra day around st Patricks day. Not getting one this year. If they did take one say on the Friday. Could I in theory say parental leave mon-thurs and then tues-fri. (Fri could be school day off and Monday is st Patricks day)?
    Are wages based over mon-sun? Or mon-fri? Mon-sat?
    Thanks a million :)

It must be taken in blocks of ONE week at a time

Wages are based over 365.25 days in a year.
    This is divided into fortnights for pay......26.09 fortnights.
    If you multiply your gross fortnightly salary by 26.09 it will give you your annual salary.
    A week block is classed as half of your fortnightly salary.

all explained here

https://www.into.ie/ROI/InfoforTeachers/Circulars/Circulars2013/cl0026_2013.pdf

• Advertisement

It must be taken in blocks of ONE week at a time

Wages are based over 365.25 days in a year.
    This is divided into fortnights for pay......26.09 fortnights.
    If you multiply your gross salary by 26.09 it will give you your annual salary.
    A week block is classed as half of your fortnightly salary.

all explained here

https://www.into.ie/ROI/InfoforTeachers/Circulars/Circulars2013/cl0026_2013.pdf
    Thanks for that! In my school people have taken the full school year for parental leave (if they have two children). According to that circular it's a max of 18 weeks in 1 school year?.

Thanks for that! In my school people have taken the full school year for parental leave (if they have two children). According to that circular it's a max of 18 weeks in 1 school year?.

18 weeks allowed per child (90 school days)

so 36 weeks (180 school days) for two children & 3 course days makes a full school year (183 days) of parental leave.

Parental leave is unpaid leave.

A substitute teacher is paid to take the teaching position for the duration.

18 weeks allowed per child (90 school days)

so 36 weeks (180 school days) for two children & 3 course days makes a full school year (183 days) of parental leave.

Parental leave is unpaid leave.

A substitute teacher is paid to take the teaching position for the duration.

I am secondary school so 36 weeks is more than 1 school year ;) I think I will only take 3 or 4 weeks. All depends when feb mid term falls :)

I am secondary school so 36 weeks is more than 1 school year ;) I think I will only take 3 or 4 weeks. All depends when feb mid term falls :)

You don't have to take it all in one go.

For each child the leave can be taken up until the child finishes primary school.

You could take 3 weeks each year for 6 years if you want.

You don't have to take it all in one go.

For each child the leave can be taken up until the child finishes primary school.

You could take 3 weeks each year for 6 years if you want.

I reckon I will only need 3 or 4 weeks ;) do you know can you move tax credits and tax cut off to husband for 4 weeks? Or is that just too messy?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I reckon I will only need 3 or 4 weeks ;) do you know can you move tax credits and tax cut off to husband for 4 weeks? Or is that just too messy?

You can move the tax to your spouse but not credits (or is it the other way around). But best thing is just use them up yourself and get it sorted in Jan by reconciling the year

Hi all me again with another question!
    If I am on parental leave/unpaid maternity but am going to mark later in year when am back at work will I get paid the mileage etc for marking conference? Marking conference would be maybe 2 weeks (or more) before I go back to work!
    I would be back on payroll for actual marking!

Thanks a million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bean Scoile

Hi all me again with another question!
    If I am on parental leave/unpaid maternity but am going to mark later in year when am back at work will I get paid the mileage etc for marking conference? Marking conference would be maybe 2 weeks (or more) before I go back to work!
    I would be back on payroll for actual marking!

Thanks a million.

You'd get paid your expenses as normal, but not for the school day.

You'd get paid your expenses as normal, but not for the school day.

That's perfect! Thanks a million.

Apologies for yet another parental leave question. If you were going to take parental leave a week on a week off for a few weeks (last term)....provided management would allow it and you had a sub. Are you better off taking the 7 days over 2 weeks weds-tues rather than mon-sun? Any benefit for prsi/pension/income protection/union fees? Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement