Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The pain in sourcing a used EV

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Not all ESB AC points are 22 Kw, but most of them are, there are two or three I came across in Arklow that were about 2.3 Kw and painfully slow compared to the 22 Kw points with the 6.6 Kw leaf.

So, if you have a 22kW SCP which has two ports in it and lets say a 6.6kW Leaf is on one side will the Zoe then only get 15kW's?

Or worse again, two Zoe's connected to one 22kW post. Do they just get 11 each?

I suppose what I'm asking is, is it 22kW max for the entire SCP and the charger software intelligently decides which port gets the power or is it 22kW per port? I presume the former?

The 22 kw ac points will provide 22 kw per outlet. Orr 44 kw per charge point.

Our ac network is completely underrated and undervalued as the emphasis is in dc but the convenience of Ac is seriously worth investing in a lot more ac points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Our ac network is completely underrated and undervalued as the emphasis is in dc but the convenience of Ac is seriously worth investing in a lot more ac points.

Oh! Thats pretty powerful then. Extremely under utilised if thats the case.

KCross wrote: »
    Oh! Thats pretty powerful then. Extremely under utilised if thats the case.

Absolutely, especially with 3.3 kw electrics plugged into them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

its not mad_lad , for several reasons

1. The availability of street parking for chargers is severely limited and problematic in residential areas especially in Dublin
    2. The number of cars with large on board AC chargers is limited

3. the use of non-overnight or medium stay destination charging will be far less prevalent as range increases

4. The ability of dedicated long stay charging to grow with increased EV populations is severely limited

Yes there are not nearly enough AC points, and true a small number of EV's with 6.6 Kw + chargers however, all the more reason not to allow someone tie up a charge point for many hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Yes there are not nearly enough AC points, and true a small number of EV's with 6.6 Kw + chargers however, all the more reason not to allow someone tie up a charge point for many hours.

I was mainly addressing the overall issue that large numbers of SCPs in any roadside situation will not be a runner,

in shopping carparks , maybe a few more could be added, but I suspect many carparks will balk at dedicating a lot of spaces to EVs

I have my doubts that SCP AC charging is scalable. ( excluding workplace and possibly hotels )

No idea how it will turn out, AC can take a huge demand off the DC network for those that don't need to charge quickly, and AC has the advantage that you then don't need to wait or queue at a DC charger.

Yes I could have lived without the 6.6 Kw charger in the Leaf but would I want to ? certainly not. It's highly practical and saves a lot of time wasting at DC chargers when I can just park the car and do my business for a few hours come back and drive off and not have to wait 30 odd mins sitting in the damn car doing nothing or worse again, having to queue.

While AC is great there is absolutely no reason the ESB can't eventually invest in 20 Kw DC chargers like they are in Germany. Though they're CCS only and I think made by Bosch, eventually all EV's will be CCS. But this is also a great way to reduce burden on the 45+ Kw network. Keep the faster chargers on the main motorway routes and main roads.

I think my point being that while it's good to charge as fast as possible sometimes, there are many times you don't need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,826 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

oinkely wrote: »
    I have a 141 accenta with 3.3 kw charger. It came at the right price so i took it. Probably wouldn't have paid much extra for the 6.6

I'd go one step further. If I'd be in the market for a second hand Leaf (new ones all have 6.6 kw as standard), I'd go specifically for a 3.3 kw

And make a big point of its shortcoming and try negotiate the price down sharply because of it

Then, that's easy for me to say. The car would sit all night on my drive way and my mileage is so low (about 12k km per year) that I only ever have to charge at home (or on fast chargers on an intercity trip - I would not look forward to that and my family would not be best pleased either)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

unkel wrote: »
    And make a big point of its shortcoming and try negotiate the price down sharply because of it
    As you've already figured (in your post on the other thread), that wont work out - as 6.6kW charging is not standard. €900 was a hefty price for it from new - with a consequence that not many people purchased with 6.6kW.

You wont be getting a discount on this basis - as 6.6's are like hens teeth in the second hand market (in Ireland..and still difficult to source even in the UK).

Advertisement