Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCU to Lucan - best route

• 23-10-2016 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi, my husband and I are currently looking to buy a house around the DCU area. This area suits us best in that it is near family supports, childcare and my job. However my husband works in Lucan and while he is open to driving over every day I am a little bit worried that the commute will be a nightmare. I currently drive the m50 north every morning and the south bound lanes just seem to be permanently congested! Can anyone who does the drive tell me how long it takes to go up through Ballymun and down the m50 to the n4 exit, on an average morning? Or indeed is there anything to be said for going to Phibsboro and along the NCR to Islandbridge/N4 thus avoiding the m50 altogether? TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

You could look to go across via Ballyboggan, Rathbourne and Ashtown and to join the M50 at the N3 turn off if it's any use.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what time would you be talking about? i live near DCU, and leave the house in the morning before 7 (i get the bus), and it's usually a relatively clear run in through phibsborough. wait half an hour though, and the traffic is -unsurprisingly - a hell of a lot heavier.
    one issue there is that southbound, the only other options for crossing the canal are drumcondra or the far side of broombridge (i can't remember the name of the new new bridge there) but that will basically bring you out onto the navan road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You could look to go across via Ballyboggan, Rathbourne and Ashtown and to join the M50 at the N3 turn off if it's any use.
    i'd be as curious about heading out through finglas, the cappagh road, and down past the NAC or thereabouts - dropping into lucan on the road past westmanstown.

i'd be as curious about heading out through finglas, the cappagh road, and down past the NAC or thereabouts - dropping into lucan on the road past westmanstown.

Avoid like the plague unless he works to the north of Lucan.

where's the bottleneck there?

• Advertisement

where's the bottleneck there?

Any from Cappagh Road, the N3 flyovers, Clonsilla both at St. Mochta's and the level crossing at the station, Lucan village and the Superquinn roundabout. Any given day and they can either be sweet as cake or chockers and at odd times as well. Add getting off at the Westmanstown road as well and it's a recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭cupcake queen

Thanks for the replies! He starts work at 9 but is prepared to go as early as needs be in order to beat the traffic. The route via Ballyboggan road/Ashtown might be one to check out alright. Are there a lot of people trying to "beat" the m50 this way I wonder? Thats also interesting about Phibsboro being quiet about 7am. That might also be worth a try as it would have the added advantage of saving the toll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Depending on your location it's about an hour cycle. Considering the time difference in travel and the health benefits it's worth considering even if choosing to cycle some days instead of all.

Add in the bike to work scheme, it's a cheap option to think about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd go Ballygall road, Old Finglas road, Ballyboggan Road, Rathoath road, Nephin road, in to the Phoenix park Blackhorse gate, out Islandbridge gate, Chapelizod, Lucan.

Advertisement