Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm system for a remote farm

Options
  • 23-10-2016 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been looking into getting an alarm system for a remote farm. There will be machinery and livestock at this location.

I will be marking all machinery and improving the locks on the sheds as part of this upgrade.

However, I would like to install a camera system to detect and record any people on the location and receive a notification of this as the previous steps will not safeguard against animal theft.

My thoughts were to get a camera which had a PAYG sim card and it would send me an image when it detected motion in the shed/yard. From this image I would then be able to determine if the detected 'thing' was normal or suspicious. Further thinking: this would also require an override so that I could enter the yard without it sending a message - although it might be a way of checking the system status.

So far, I'm not sure how to do this on a remote location without an electricity supply. I've been looking at Game, Trail & Hunting Cameras which seem to provide half of the solution only.

What should I be looking at in order to provide the alarm system I need on site? I'd be able to provide power from a battery supply to a system which could be recharged via a generator.

As an aside to this, how powerful are the GSM jammers that I see being advertised? Can they really render an alarm system useless?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

For any sort of reliable system you would be looking for decent power and mobile broadband on site. It there decent 3g/4g coverage in the area.?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Yeah, there is good 3G. 4G is hit and miss. For decent power we can setup a bank of batteries which can be kept charged via a generator which is in use very couple of days at least. This should be sufficient I hope to keep a bank of batteries topped up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

With that's you could set up a DVR or NVR with notifications on motion.

Thanks - does the push notifications still work if the intruders havea GSM blocker with them? Could I run it off a couple of car batteries?

Unless you have another form of broadband besides GSM/GPRS then it going to be vulnerable to jamming.
    If running off car batteries you would have to be selective on the recorder your choosing to see it 12dc is possible.

• Advertisement

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying.

I'm wondering what is the best way to obtain access to the data from the NVR remotely? Do I have to purchase a data only sim and connect that way?

What about this system?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/SW-Wireless-Security-Systems-Surveillance/dp/B015OA9XYE?th=1

My main concern is that as this is a shed the environment can be a bit harsh - mostly in terms of dampness. Will these suffice or should I opt for one or two of the following:

http://www.tomtop.com/others-114/p-y3712.html?currency=GBP&lang=en&aid=gplagb&gclid=CL_71K_-yNACFc4K0wodKHAN0A

Thanks.

Advertisement