Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - considering an alarm system

Options
  • 23-10-2016 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We are in the process of building a new bungalow and are considering putting in an alarm system.

We have no real idea as to what we would like to have installed and would appreciate some advice on what to consider and what to avoid.

From looking through the threads would it be fair to say that a Siemens or HKC system are the most popular (and best?) on the market?

Do all modern alarms have a mobile app for monitoring? Is it expensive to connect them up to other systems (i.e. heating) in the house? I'm just curious about this rather than it being a must have.

Shock contacts on the windows appear to be the best way to go - do these need to be considered during construction of the windows? There will be two external doors and these also get shock contacts. Same again - do they require to be catered for during construction?

Anything else required in the house such as cameras, PIRs etc?
    Is there a way to back up any recored images externally so that an intruder just does not need to grab the recorder to remove any evidence?

How powerful are GSM jammers in disabling modern alarm systems?

We have a garage on the side of the house (no through access). It has a roller door and a standard door and window. What do we do here?

Also, what type of cost are we looking at for one of these systems installed. Roughly - just so that I can consider it in the budget.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DecAlarm wrote:
    Pm sent

DecAlarm.

Welcome to boards. I understand that you are new. However this is an information and discussion forum and sending PM's does not benefit the forum in general. If you have advice for the OP please share it.

Thank you and again welcome to boards.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi,

We are in the process of building a new bungalow and are considering putting in an alarm system.

We have no real idea as to what we would like to have installed and would appreciate some advice on what to consider and what to avoid.

From looking through the threads would it be fair to say that a Siemens or HKC system are the most popular (and best?) on the market?

Do all modern alarms have a mobile app for monitoring? Is it expensive to connect them up to other systems (i.e. heating) in the house? I'm just curious about this rather than it being a must have.

Shock contacts on the windows appear to be the best way to go - do these need to be considered during construction of the windows? There will be two external doors and these also get shock contacts. Same again - do they require to be catered for during construction?

Anything else required in the house such as cameras, PIRs etc?
    Is there a way to back up any recored images externally so that an intruder just does not need to grab the recorder to remove any evidence?

How powerful are GSM jammers in disabling modern alarm systems?

We have a garage on the side of the house (no through access). It has a roller door and a standard door and window. What do we do here?

Also, what type of cost are we looking at for one of these systems installed. Roughly - just so that I can consider it in the budget.

Thanks.

From what you are saying,I think Siemens/Vanderbilt may suit your needs best.
    Most good systems have apps now that give you notifications and control.
    Siemens/Vanderbilt ,GSD,UTC and others are all free. HKC comes with a charge for every app you want plus annual subscription charges.There's a sticky on the top of the forum that will cover all you need to know in this regard.
    On the alarms I'd recommend perimeter protection with inertia shock sensors & magnetic contacts. These will detect opening & forced entry. After that a couple of PiRs for back up & alarm verification if monitored.
    GSM jammers don't need to be powerful, they just need to be in proximity of the alarm system. They are are only effective against GSM/GPRS based monitoring. They would not effect other based IP systems,PSTN systems or radio systems.
    For the garage cover all the openings plus 1 PiR (Duel Tec)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Do the sensors on the windows need anything done during construction for fitment?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

No. Just get all the cables in place where you want them during construction.

Hi,

The electrican has suggested just a couple of PIR sensors in the main hallways pointing towards the doorways. Would this be sufficient for a bungalow?

I would have thought that the sensors would be a minor cost to the system and therefore a few more would be the ideal. Would this be a normal setup?

As much as I would like to install an all singing all dancing system, we are building to a budget, but at the same time trying to avoid half assed installations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Damien360

Hi,

The electrican has suggested just a couple of PIR sensors in the main hallways pointing towards the doorways. Would this be sufficient for a bungalow?

I would have thought that the sensors would be a minor cost to the system and therefore a few more would be the ideal. Would this be a normal setup?

As much as I would like to install an all singing all dancing system, we are building to a budget, but at the same time trying to avoid half assed installations.

No. by the time your alarm is ringing, the thief is already in the house

+ 1 all the way to perimeter protection.
    PiRs only are the lazy mans way. If you are working to a budget that OK. Wire for everything & start with perimeter protection.

Put in wired sensors for window openings and door. Also put vibration sensors on each one. Do this for every window and door. Get system in 2 modes. One full arm and one part arm so you can arm the house and be in it at night without tripping it. Last one if you plan PIR also.

Damien360 wrote: »
    No. by the time your alarm is ringing, the thief is already in the house

Yip, that is my problem. How much are window/door shock sensors compared to the motion detection. Going down that road would probably mean having to put at least vibration/shock sensors on the windows and virbation/shock sensors plus magnetic contact sensors on the doors.

This would need to be a wireless system, I would suspect. So, how would you protect this from jammers?

Also, are the shock sensors not prone to false alarms? From the reading I've been doing it seems to suggest this.

Sorry: posted this without seeing above two posts.

Yip, that is my problem. How much are window/door shock sensors compared to the motion detection. Going down that road would probably mean having to put at least vibration/shock sensors on the windows and virbation/shock sensors plus magnetic contact sensors on the doors.

This would need to be a wireless system, I would suspect. So, how would you protect this from jammers?

Also, are the shock sensors not prone to false alarms? From the reading I've been doing it seems to suggest this.

It is a one off spend. Get it wired. If the installer is decent the Shock sensor will not be overly sensitive.

• Advertisement

Okay - so a wireless system is to be avoided in a new build?

Also what sort of price are we talking here for a house with 15 opening windows and 2 external doors?

Just a thought - is there not smoke/fire alarms that can be integrated with these?

Your best bet would be get at least 3 licenced installers out to do a survey & system design proposal. This will cost you nothing , but will give you a lot of information about systems available and whats required detection wise.

Advertisement