Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old furniture - takers?

Options
  • 23-10-2016 2:21pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭

i've brought a few old pieces of furniture to the ballymun rediscovery centre oevr the years - they train long term unemployed in the business of furniture restoration, but their storage space is completely full and they're not taking anything at the moment.

does anyone know of a similar organisation who would do the same? i've four of these chairs; too much hassle for too little gain for me to fix, but it'd be a shame to break them up for firewood and then find someone else could have made use of them.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Lovely chair. far superior to modern day tat.

Perhaps a local mens shed

Lovely chair. far superior to modern day tat.

Perhaps a local mens shed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

i've brought a few old pieces of furniture to the ballymun rediscovery centre oevr the years - they train long term unemployed in the business of furniture restoration, but their storage space is completely full and they're not taking anything at the moment.

does anyone know of a similar organisation who would do the same? i've four of these chairs; too much hassle for too little gain for me to fix, but it'd be a shame to break them up for firewood and then find someone else could have made use of them.

Victorian balloon back chairs - shame to break them up. Can you stick them in an auction - they will probably sell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they were stored in a neighbour's garage for years - i suspect the cost of bringing them back up to spec would not justify the selling cost of them in good nick.

they were stored in a neighbour's garage for years - i suspect the cost of bringing them back up to spec would not justify the selling cost of them in good nick.

You would be amazed at what sells in auctions. There are always people looking for 'fixer - uppers' Check out Purcells in Tullamore who are not too posh to take items like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

That's a nice chair, it would be a shame to burn it. Stick it up on the free section of Adverts, it will be gone in a day or two.

recipio wrote: »
    You would be amazed at what sells in auctions. There are always people looking for 'fixer - uppers' Check out Purcells in Tullamore who are not too posh to take items like this.

Are you sure you dont mean Birr??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That's a nice chair, it would be a shame to burn it. Stick it up on the free section of Adverts, it will be gone in a day or two.
    i'd be half afraid that whoever would take it would end up burning it!

i've contacted this organisation, they do collections:
    http://www.furniturerecyclingdublin.com/contact

kadman wrote: »
    Are you sure you dont mean Birr??

Duh.........my apologies :D

• Advertisement

well, the crowd i emailed never got back to me. anyone here wants them, they're welcome to them. will even deliver for free to anyone on the northside of dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

well, the crowd i emailed never got back to me. anyone here wants them, they're welcome to them. will even deliver for free to anyone on the northside of dublin.

I know a furniture making student who is looking for a chair for a restoration project. Would you be happy to give just one away? I will get in touch with him anyhow and point him to this thread.

i have four -would seem a bit perverse to give just one away, because three of them for another taker would be an odd proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

If still available, I have a group of students interested in taking one each. If you could deliver them off Capel St that would be great - no car owners in this group.

bugger, i found a home for them on saturday...

Advertisement