Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocation on 457 visa with family

• 23-10-2016 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi all,

Relocating to Sydney with wife and kids. Good job lined up with relocation package and position offered on 4 year 457 visa.

If I decided leave after a few months, would I be liable to repay relocation expenses?

Also if I do come home can I claim some tax back?

Already know I can get back superannuation.

Need advise quickly as we have to make a decision soon.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Yeah you can claim tax back for sure. Not sure about the relocation fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Gilroy

rightyabe wrote: »
    Yeah you can claim tax back for sure. Not sure about the relocation fees.

OK great thanks for reply

Would the family be able to live on 110k australian salary each year? Renting..... hear it's expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭PolaroidPizza

I've no answers but good luck. It takes bravery to make a move like. Congratulations on making such a big step

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Gilroy wrote: »
    Hi all,

Relocating to Sydney with wife and kids. Good job lined up with relocation package and position offered on 4 year 457 visa.

If I decided leave after a few months, would I be liable to repay relocation expenses?

Also if I do come home can I claim some tax back?

Already know I can get back superannuation.

Need advise quickly as we have to make a decision soon.

It will depend on what is set out in the contract between you and the employer. The employer may seek to recover some of the costs involved in relocation if you leave within a certain timeframe.

Is there any way you can qualify and apply for permanent residency? I'm not a fan of the 457 visa as it is very restrictive and personally see it as a very risky visa for a family with kids. I have heard some horror stories, but also some good stories of people on 457's so just make sure you know exactly what you are getting into. Also make sure you find out as much as you can about the company, the role and their expectations of you including the hours you are expected to work before making the move.
    It's not uncommon for employers to treat people on 457's badly and increase their workload just because they know it will be difficult for them to leave and find another job.

I'm not trying to put you off or anything but just make sure you are aware of everything involved. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

aido79 wrote: »
    It will depend on what is set out in the contract between you and the employer. The employer may seek to recover some of the costs involved in relocation if you leave within a certain timeframe.

Is there any way you can qualify and apply for permanent residency? I'm not a fan of the 457 visa as it is very restrictive and personally see it as a very risky visa for a family with kids. I have heard some horror stories, but also some good stories of people on 457's so just make sure you know exactly what you are getting into. Also make sure you find out as much as you can about the company, the role and their expectations of you including the hours you are expected to work before making the move.
    It's not uncommon for employers to treat people on 457's badly and increase their workload just because they know it will be difficult for them to leave and find another job.

I'm not trying to put you off or anything but just make sure you are aware of everything involved. Best of luck with it.

No mention in contract about trying to recover the relocation costs. But they might still I guess. We are getting cold feet now.

It will benefit my career and we do plan to return to Ireland after 12 to 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

$110K a year is plenty for renting in Australia. It works out about $1500 a week after tax.

A reasonable sized 2 bedroom apartment in the inner west in Sydney in areas like Dulwich Hill, Petersham areas that are close to the city by train start off as low as $480ish a week. That'd be an older place that would have been a block of social housing originally but all privately owned now.
    For more money you'll get a bigger place, nicer area etc for maybe $650 a week.

If you move further west, you can get houses for that price, even cheaper for maybe 3-4 bedroom houses but its further out, more travel time to the city etc... It depends where your job is located in Sydney.

I think, on a 457 you might have pay a fee each year for children to attend school (friend in Western Australia said they had to pay a fee before their PR visa came through while they were on a 457).

Everyday groceries are probably a bit more expensive but you'd easily feed a family of 2 adults and 2 kids on $200-$250 a week, $300 max.

Bills, electricity and gas can be expensive, plenty of companies to choose from. Again it depends how well insulated the place you live is. A lot of Aussie homes are poorly insulated and can be very hot in summer, cold in winter. So if there is aircon or elextric/gas heaters that can increase bills.

Our winter electric bill in an older 2 bedroom art deco era apartment with 3 people living, rattly single glazing windows was about $450 for 3 months. Thats with electric heaters etc. In summer its about $250-$300 per quarter.

Our winter gas bill (cooking and gas heater) was about $160 for the winter quarter.

As you are renting, you don't have to pay water (unless you use excessive amounts I think) or council rates or management service fees.

If you are looking for more of a relaxed home lifestyle, consider renting further north, on the Central Coast. Good train service to Sydney, about 60-90 minutes on the train depending. You've got lakes, national parks, beaches, far less people, more space and time at the weekends to go places with the family and appreciate the time off. It may not be much more of a commute compared to living out in Western Sydney and would be a better lifestyle.

You'd probably need a car on the Central coast though, which is another cost to factor in. Cars, even 2nd hand 15 year old bangers aren't too cheap here. Insurance is a bit of a double whammy with Compulsory Third Party insurance which is the legal bare minimum every car needs to have to cover you in case you crash into lightpoles, buildings etc and then any other policy like regular car insurance.

I think the salary offered is very good and I reckon you should go for it. If your partner is able to work a few hours a week then it makes things a lot easier.
    Minimum wage here is at least $17 or $18 an hour, and if they are casually employed, they get 25% extra loading for being casual (no holiday pay, no sick pay).

pete4130 wrote: »
    $110K a year is plenty for renting in Australia. It works out about $1500 a week after tax.

A reasonable sized 2 bedroom apartment in the inner west in Sydney in areas like Dulwich Hill, Petersham areas that are close to the city by train start off as low as $480ish a week. That'd be an older place that would have been a block of social housing originally but all privately owned now.
    For more money you'll get a bigger place, nicer area etc for maybe $650 a week.

If you move further west, you can get houses for that price, even cheaper for maybe 3-4 bedroom houses but its further out, more travel time to the city etc... It depends where your job is located in Sydney.

I think, on a 457 you might have pay a fee each year for children to attend school (friend in Western Australia said they had to pay a fee before their PR visa came through while they were on a 457).

Everyday groceries are probably a bit more expensive but you'd easily feed a family of 2 adults and 2 kids on $200-$250 a week, $300 max.

Bills, electricity and gas can be expensive, plenty of companies to choose from. Again it depends how well insulated the place you live is. A lot of Aussie homes are poorly insulated and can be very hot in summer, cold in winter. So if there is aircon or elextric/gas heaters that can increase bills.

Our winter electric bill in an older 2 bedroom art deco era apartment with 3 people living, rattly single glazing windows was about $450 for 3 months. Thats with electric heaters etc. In summer its about $250-$300 per quarter.

Our winter gas bill (cooking and gas heater) was about $160 for the winter quarter.

As you are renting, you don't have to pay water (unless you use excessive amounts I think) or council rates or management service fees.

If you are looking for more of a relaxed home lifestyle, consider renting further north, on the Central Coast. Good train service to Sydney, about 60-90 minutes on the train depending. You've got lakes, national parks, beaches, far less people, more space and time at the weekends to go places with the family and appreciate the time off. It may not be much more of a commute compared to living out in Western Sydney and would be a better lifestyle.

You'd probably need a car on the Central coast though, which is another cost to factor in. Cars, even 2nd hand 15 year old bangers aren't too cheap here. Insurance is a bit of a double whammy with Compulsory Third Party insurance which is the legal bare minimum every car needs to have to cover you in case you crash into lightpoles, buildings etc and then any other policy like regular car insurance.

I think the salary offered is very good and I reckon you should go for it. If your partner is able to work a few hours a week then it makes things a lot easier.
    Minimum wage here is at least $17 or $18 an hour, and if they are casually employed, they get 25% extra loading for being casual (no holiday pay, no sick pay).

Thank you so much for all your information. Areas we thinking of are Randwick / Maroubra. What are they like and can you recommend places up north Sydney to look at?

Thank you so much for all your information. Areas we thinking of are Randwick / Maroubra. What are they like and can you recommend places up north Sydney to look at?

Job is located near Ryde in North Sydney.

Randwick can be expensive. It's near enough the beaches on the eastern suburbs. Near the city too but it's a nice area. Maroubra is a nice beach suburb but a bit further out and you'd probably need to rely on buses a bit more as I'm not sure how well serviced it is by trains.
    Check realestate.com.au or domain.com.au for rental prices.

Ryde is a decent enough place to live. Lots of modern and older apartments there. Good public transport and it's close to the river too. It'd be close to work as well.

North sydney you could look at places like Manly. Public ferry to the city and then train to work. Nice area. Nice beaches and lifestyle. Further north on the central coast, the main "city" would be Gosford but it's a bit grim. The surrounding areas are nice. Suburbs like Woy Woy & Umina have trains rinning to the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

Mosman is really nice , and not as expensive as you would think , purely because there's very few rental properties there and it wouldn't be a place people would go to rent really.Its very affluent and life goes at a snails pace there. I work in Macquarie park and rental prices seem pretty decent here too. Plus getting to and from randwick /ryde will be a nightmare 5 days a week

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

It's probably worth noting that the majority of rental properties are unfurnished in Australia; even with the already expensive rent. However, don't let that put you off. Most find that the quality of life is much greater here.

Also, when I first moved to Sydney I was nervous about the price of rent, but I decided to bite the bullet and pay a little extra for a nice place. I don't regret it at all, as I'm very comfortable where I live and I enjoy spending time there.

Shy Ted wrote: »
    It's probably worth noting that the majority of rental properties are unfurnished in Australia; even with the already expensive rent. However, don't let that put you off. Most find that the quality of life is much greater here.

Also, when I first moved to Sydney I was nervous about the price of rent, but I decided to bite the bullet and pay a little extra for a nice place. I don't regret it at all, as I'm very comfortable where I live and I enjoy spending time there.

Mosman is now where I'm leaning towards for the family. Close enough to city too. Getting excited now.

Mosman is now where I'm leaning towards for the family. Close enough to city too. Getting excited now.

sweet , try for the military road side of mosman , its amazing ,beautiful beach and esplanade minutes away , bus stops , doctors , schools and a ferry.when do you get over again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Mosman is very expensive for rent. That is if you get somewhere to rent, it is hard enough. We saw a lot of places before we were accepted for one. There are queues of people for every viewing so be prepared to look at lots of places.

School will cost $5,000 per year per child. That's primary school, high school is more expensive.

Sydney is brilliant, but, very expensive.

We came here first on a 457, planned to stay for 2 years, we are here 4 years now and have PR. We have 3 children and I am a stay at home parent. My husband works and earns more than the salary you quoted here - we don't have a lot left over at the end of each month.

I would hate to put you off though, it is lovely here. We live in Naremburn which isn't far from Mosman. St Leonards would be a good spot as well, it is on the train line as is Artarmon and Chatswood etc. Artarmon would be the cheapest of those and it has a brilliant public school, one of the top schools in the state.

PM me if you want (if that is allowed on this forum?)

As others have said, expect Mosman to be expensive.

If you are going to be working in Ryde, areas like Strathfield isn't too badly priced. It's got a big rail hub so public transport is good and there is a large enough Irish community there I think.

Other areas you could consider that are reasonably priced, wouldn't be too far out west and close to your work would be Homebush, where the 2000 Olympic park is located. Lots of parks, pools, activities etc.

Macquarie Park, Ermington (near a busy enough road that runs through it), West Ryde, Dullwich Hill is on the train line too and not a bad area.

It depends on renting a 2 or 3 bedroom place too.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

One thing that would put me off Mosman is Miltary Rd. We originally looked for places around Neutral Bay when we moved to Sydney, but thankfully some friends talked us out of it. I work out west and the traffic on Military Rd would have being a nightmare during rush hour.

We're currently living in St Leonards which is ideal for public transport and especially for my commute out west, as I drive against the heavy traffic but tolls are expensive ($20/day). St Leonards also has a fantastic park and it's close to Crows Nest, which is a very family orientated area with lots of nice cafes & restaurants. Unfortunately there is a lot of high rise construction going on right now.

Artarmon is a very good option, it's only a 15min walk away and it's on the train line too. It's more affordable than most places in the area and you could take public transport to Ryde. When it comes to going to the beach at the weekends; if you leave early, you can avoid the traffic and be there in 15mins. There's also public transport going to all the main beaches too, so they're all very accessible.

Hi Gilroy.

Not sure what stage you're at but I don't think your salary is anywhere near enough to support a partner and kids.

There would need to be a second income at a minimum.

I'll asssume you'll need a 3 bed apartment and you'll not be spending less than $800 a week for that. And I mean $800 would be a bare minimum.

When you arrive you'll be needing a car (again assuming) and you'll need to furnish your apartment too. Second hand car market here is expensive in my opinion. I recently bought a 2008 Golf for $10,000 and that was a good buy.

Furnishing your apartment isn't too difficult as gumtree is good but you need to know what you're buying as I find a lot people buy something, for example a fridge, for $900 new and then try and sell it for $600 3 or 4 years later. If you have the time to search and not buy the first thing you see you will get fair deals but patience is needed.

I don't have kids but childcare and schooling is expensive too and especially if you're thinking of just one salary income. I would suggest it's not possible on what you've outlined.

You're welcome to PM me with any specific questions you have and I'll help as best I can.

Hi Gilroy.

Not sure what stage you're at but I don't think your salary is anywhere near enough to support a partner and kids.

There would need to be a second income at a minimum.

I'll asssume you'll need a 3 bed apartment and you'll not be spending less than $800 a week for that. And I mean $800 would be a bare minimum.

When you arrive you'll be needing a car (again assuming) and you'll need to furnish your apartment too. Second hand car market here is expensive in my opinion. I recently bought a 2008 Golf for $10,000 and that was a good buy.

Furnishing your apartment isn't too difficult as gumtree is good but you need to know what you're buying as I find a lot people buy something, for example a fridge, for $900 new and then try and sell it for $600 3 or 4 years later. If you have the time to search and not buy the first thing you see you will get fair deals but patience is needed.

I don't have kids but childcare and schooling is expensive too and especially if you're thinking of just one salary income. I would suggest it's not possible on what you've outlined.

You're welcome to PM me with any specific questions you have and I'll help as best I can.

I think you are over reacting there. you DONT have to spend $800-$900 a week on rent. Areas I've pointed out in my posts, it is possible to find decent places, 3 bedrooms for mid $600's. The OP is also getting a relocation allowance/assistance, which will pay for some, if not all furniture. That relocation allowance can be used to ship some furniture from Ireland if its cost effective.

Heres a quick selection of affordable 3 bedroom places near Ryde.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-homebush-419472630

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-homebush-404935224

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-nsw-homebush-419614198

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-nsw-north+ryde-419631674

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-west+ryde-419496442

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-nsw-strathfield-414855919

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-strathfield-412243215

A car isn't a necessity if he is working in Ryde and close to public transport either.

A 2nd income would be helpful and there is no shortage of casual work here that is at least $25 per hour.

• Advertisement

^^^^ this..... Op has a great opportunity here , go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

The median salary in australia is about 52,000. His is twice that (same as two average working parents)....i think its a bit extreme to say it'll be nowhere near enough to support his family.

Noo wrote: »
    The median salary in australia is about 52,000. His is twice that (same as two average working parents)....i think its a bit extreme to say it'll be nowhere near enough to support his family.

It might be the median salary, but, it's not enough to live (in certain places) on the Lower North shore with children and all the expenses they entail.

kids are expensive wherever you are , but the cost of living in Mosman is no more expensive than anywhere else. You can make Sydney living as cheap or as expensive as you want to make it regarding lifestyle and entertainment.

kids are expensive wherever you are , but the cost of living in Mosman is no more expensive than anywhere else. You can make Sydney living as cheap or as expensive as you want to make it regarding lifestyle and entertainment.

It's really not true, the cost of living is more there. Shops charge more for the exact same things. I have seen this with my own two eyes. Mosman is one of the most expensive places to live in Sydney. No point in paying extra to rent there when there are lots of great places to live that make commuting to Ryde a lot easier. Military road is hell for commuting.

Supermarketwise , Mosman has none , so you go to Neutral bay or Warringah mall for Coles or Woolies. Harris farm markets is there and its not overly pricey. Restaurants and cafes are decent and plentiful. there's boutique clothes shops there alright , but you got Westfield a short drive away if thats not your thing. Commute to Ryde is not too bad. Either get a bus to north Sydney and get a train to Ryde area or a ferry to Circular quay , stroll to Wynyard and get the train

Rent wise; my old place..... 2 bed , 510 per week
    http://www.domain.com.au/7-71-avenue-road-mosman-nsw-2088-10789916

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I work in North Ryde and live in the Hills, 20-40 minute commute at peak. It's a fairly family orientated area. Castle Towers ongoing expansion will be largest shopping centre in NSW and the new Sydney Metro will be running in 2 years time. It's becoming a very exciting area yet still quite open and spacious.

As a comparison $800 Pw get you something like

https://m.domain.com.au/listing/10944669?

$110K is ok, I earn a bit more but my wife is a stay at home mum.

Could your wife could possibly work part time if needed?

Catholic Schools in the area, $1800 per child per year for non-residents.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I work in North Ryde and live in the Hills, 20-40 minute commute at peak. It's a fairly family orientated area. Castle Towers ongoing expansion will be largest shopping centre in NSW and the new Sydney Metro will be running in 2 years time. It's becoming a very exciting area yet still quite open and spacious.

As a comparison $800 Pw get you something like

https://m.domain.com.au/listing/10944669?

$110K is ok, I earn a bit more but my wife is a stay at home mum.

Could your wife could possibly work part time if needed?

Catholic Schools in the area, $1800 per child per year for non-residents.

Yes my wife may work 2 days per week if possible. Thanks for the info as the visa is in progress at the moment. May have to wait a few months for dept to approve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Yes my wife may work 2 days per week if possible. Thanks for the info as the visa is in progress at the moment. May have to wait a few months for dept to approve.

Good luck with it and feel free to post updates of your experience as it may be helpful to others reading the forum and considering moving to Australia with kids.

• Advertisement
Advertisement